Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 11:03 AM

91 posts, read 378,672 times

Advertisements

My humble experience with visitors is that these were weeks that they preferred perhaps for golf but they had serious concerns about bike week. (rightly or wrongly) If there are really 50 other weeks, would the bikes want February?
I believe (could be wrong)that the Pavilion lost money and the bikers certainly did not go there, or from what little I know, patronize to a great extant many other attractions or shows.
There was also a huge investment being made in the Market Common complex when it was thought that MB could get a little more upscale focus, in order to compete.
And finally, the timing of the ban just as we fell into a recession, just made everything
If the local voters hold sway, that is not such a bad thing. Pawleys' turned down a big Lowes development which is fine, but it did cost some people millions and may have hurt jobs for the average guy in this resort town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 03:03 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,830,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasters View Post
If the local voters hold sway, that is not such a bad thing. Pawleys' turned down a big Lowes development which is fine, but it did cost some people millions and may have hurt jobs for the average guy in this resort town.
Yep, voters are always right, even when they're wrong. I guess that's how our system of gov't works. Still, MB is going thru a huge megashift in power structure. Tourism no longer rules the roost, good or bad. IMO, the long-term implications for MB are not healthy, but the voters can worry about that.

And I agree, the HD Bike Rally should have at least shown a willingness to consider a different week. Early on, there was room for compromise, but macho got in the way.

The only folks who lost $$millions when Lowes was run out of PI were the developers and landowners. Despite what Lowes says, independent studies have consistently shown that big-box stores like Lowes are, at best, a break-even jobs situation. As many jobs are lost by small businesses who cannot compete as created by Lowes. Georgetown begged Lowes to come down there, hinting at some sweet deals. Lowes turned up their nose and headed home. Good riddance....

Old 06-07-2010, 05:47 PM

540 posts, read 1,679,531 times
It was sad when some of the laws went into effect. Like PD said, it had nothing to do with business, and everything to do with politics. There is no possible way to recoup the $$ MB lost by pushing the bikers away. Harley riders are possibly some of the nicest people I've had the pleasure to meet (in the restaurant business). They aren't pretentious, loud, or obnoxious for the most part. They pay their bills, and don't act like they are teenagers out on a joy ride. I cannot say the same for some of the riders on Black Bike Week.

I was SOOOOOOOO hoping Rhodes and his cronies would be voted out of office, but it seems the older folks kept him on. As always, PD deserves 10,000,000 rep points for his extremely accurate assessment.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:53 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,830,524 times
Tuesday was an interesting day in the ongoing saga of MB bike rallies. SC state supreme court invalidated MB's motorcycle helmet law, ruling it was in conflict with existing SC laws. IMO, that's a hollow victory. The city of MB expected that to happen all along, and they have already achieved what they set out to do. They'll continue to find ways to harass any bikers who happen to show up, helmet or not.

On the flip side, by winning Tuesday's Republican Primary, Tom Rice will most likely become the new chairman of Horry County council. Tom Rice was founder and driving force behind "Take Back May", the organization established as a "citizen's voice" against the rallies. With his election, the anti-rally political forces will move outside the city, to include all of Horry County. That does not bode well for the future of the rallies.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:04 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,875,708 times
Yep, pburg, Pawleysdude always offers good and honest insight. I always enjoy reading his perspective, even when we disagree.

It just breaks my heart to know the potential of the area and yet to see it deteriorate. Hubby and I were there last weekend and ventured up and into the heart of Myrtle, which we rarely do. I was looking for my FAV buffet, Seafare, since it moved. We stopped somewhere and immediately this ****** came towards me agressively...... he was running a con I had heard several times on by trips to Philly and NYC....I was robbed, my credit card is being FED EX I just need some money until tomorrow, yada yada........ I just see a noticeable and negative change and wonder if it is too late to reinvent MB? Sure, Miami has rough places and Cancun is terrible ...armed guards downtown to keep it safe enough for tourists on the strip. I wonder exactly WHAT the vision is for the economic development of the area???? I'd love to see the strat plan and the tactical solutions..... if one exists.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:22 PM

Tina, I totally agree with you. This isn't the town of years ago. I hope MB finds its way. It doesn't even seem like much of a vacation spot anymore outside of sitting on the beach. Not sure what happened or when, or even if they CAN revert it back to the once vibrant place it was. Like PD said, with the current people in power, it doesn't seem possible.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:51 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,875,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
Yep, pburg, Pawleysdude always offers good and honest insight. I always enjoy reading his perspective, even when we disagree.

It just breaks my heart to know the potential of the area and yet to see it deteriorate. Hubby and I were there last weekend and ventured up and into the heart of Myrtle, which we rarely do. I was looking for my FAV buffet, Seafare, since it moved. We stopped somewhere and immediately this ****** came towards me agressively...... he was running a con I had heard several times on by trips to Philly and NYC....I was robbed, my credit card is being FED EX I just need some money until tomorrow, yada yada........ I just see a noticeable and negative change and wonder if it is too late to reinvent MB? Sure, Miami has rough places and Cancun is terrible ...armed guards downtown to keep it safe enough for tourists on the strip. I wonder exactly WHAT the vision is for the economic development of the area???? I'd love to see the strat plan and the tactical solutions..... if one exists.
Wonder why I was edited? I didn't write anything offensive......

Old 06-19-2010, 08:09 PM

370 posts, read 947,932 times
Forget the race issue...the Harley Bikes were loved and welcomed because they were respectful. It was the black bike rally that needed to go somewhere else. I heard so many waitresses telling us how much they hated that rally because of the lack of respect and lawlessness that these people brought to the area. Too bad the Harley guys had to suffer because of the other guys disrespect for the people and the area. Daytona Beach cleaned up their act years ago, and I think MB had to do something, although I wish they had the courage to single out the bad rally only.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aetcas View Post
Forget the race issue...the Harley Bikes were loved and welcomed because they were respectful. It was the black bike rally that needed to go somewhere else. I heard so many waitresses telling us how much they hated that rally because of the lack of respect and lawlessness that these people brought to the area. Too bad the Harley guys had to suffer because of the other guys disrespect for the people and the area. Daytona Beach cleaned up their act years ago, and I think MB had to do something, although I wish they had the courage to single out the bad rally only.
They couldn't, so they had to try and eliminate both, so no cries of racism. I agree, they had to do SOMETHING to eliminate the lawnessness. It's really a shame the Harley guys had to suffer as well. Hopefully next rally the police will be out in force 10x stronger than they have been in the past and will arrest whomever gets out of hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area