Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 12:06 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,086,192 times

Advertisements

I have submitted several posts about me and the wife's plans to move to the MB area, and after much research and input from locals, we are pretty well set on it. I am a social worker, so wherever I work I will be needing to do quite a bit of driving, as a lot of it is outreach based. When we move, do you think we will have trouble locating resources? I will need to know how to locate the various social service agencies, social security building, DHR, mental health hospitals, shelters, etc. The beach areas and highways/routes leading to them seem self-explanatory, but we did not do any real in-depth exploring of the major business routes, downtown areas, etc. Thanks for any input, as you all have been quite helpful thus far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 03:20 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,790,289 times
Very easy. There are only a handful of major hwys and the rest is simple. The only problem that I have found is that in some rural areas, GPS, maps and online maps can't keep up with new roads that are added all the time. I have been lost quite a few times because of wrong directions I obtained off the internet and even my GPS.

You had said you were considering Conway....if you decide to move there and work in MB there are a couple hwys you can take depending on what part of town you will be.

Even though my GPS got me lost a couple times, I still think it's worth buying. The prices have come down and you can get one that tells you when to turn, helps a lot.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:24 PM

Yeah, Conway will probably be where we move to. I suppose I am generalizing a bit by stating MB--just figured that wherever I work will probably be closer to there. We looked at both Carolina Forest and Conway, and liked them both a lot. We would still consider MB or NMB, or even Socastee area. Just depends on what house we fall in love with, and whether we can afford it I guess.

Is there a "downtown" area, like where all the government buildings, food stamp office, VA, etc. is? Do you know?

Old 04-20-2008, 07:05 PM

882 posts, read 3,540,761 times
Conway has a centralized area downtown, but MB is a bit more spread out.. if I'm not mistaken..

You'll find that Horry County is a rather large county, but it's pretty easy to find your way around, no matter where you are. A GPS is a great idea.. I bought one for use while up North where I really didn't know where I was.. but i do use it every once in a while here..

Old 04-21-2008, 10:23 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,790,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post

Is there a "downtown" area, like where all the government buildings, food stamp office, VA, etc. is? Do you know?
Yes, Conway in the downtown area you will find most of that if not everything.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:10 AM

Great, thank you. I didn't realize Conway had so much--when I visited, I mostly looked around and did the tourist thing. Thanks.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:54 PM

151 posts, read 571,719 times
Just follow the Hurricane evacuation routes and you can't get lost!

Old 04-24-2008, 10:33 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,968,995 times
Quote:
I have submitted several posts about me and the wife's plans to move to the MB area, and after much research and input from locals, we are pretty well set on it. I am a social worker, so wherever I work I will be needing to do quite a bit of driving, as a lot of it is outreach based. When we move, do you think we will have trouble locating resources? I will need to know how to locate the various social service agencies, social security building, DHR, mental health hospitals, shelters, etc. The beach areas and highways/routes leading to them seem self-explanatory, but we did not do any real in-depth exploring of the major business routes, downtown areas, etc. Thanks for any input, as you all have been quite helpful thus far.
Really really easy once you know what freeway connects to what.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Really really easy once you know what freeway connects to what.
I hear ya. In Birmingham, I work downtown and have patients who are scattered everywhere, but it is mostly on a grid. Such as n. Birmingham, s., w., etc., with avenues 1-..., intersecting with streets 1-..., which is fairly self-explanatory. It's where I get to acually having to deal with street names that I get confused.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:28 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,968,995 times
Quote:
I hear ya. In Birmingham, I work downtown and have patients who are scattered everywhere, but it is mostly on a grid. Such as n. Birmingham, s., w., etc., with avenues 1-..., intersecting with streets 1-..., which is fairly self-explanatory. It's where I get to acually having to deal with street names that I get confused.
I went miles out of my way for awhile until I learned the secret passages. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area