Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:41 AM

140 posts, read 323,227 times

Advertisements

Closing Time for a Rock Theme Park - WSJ.com
I'm not a big MB fan to begin with but it is sad to see such a big investment to to the tubes so fast for our fellow neighbors south somewhat close to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 09:12 AM

189 posts, read 580,726 times
In my opinion it was a poorly developed and expensive (for park goers) concept. I think the problem with MB is that there is so much free stuff to do that people did not want to pay the park entrance fee and parking. That coupled with the current economic conditions really put financial strains on the project. Is there still a chance that it could re-open in 2010?

Old 01-07-2009, 09:26 AM

630 posts, read 1,879,199 times
I thought it was a bad idea from the get go. Amusement parks are more for kids unless its like one of the ones in Ohio with the crazy roller coasters. Kids don't care about 70s rock music. Unless there were good bands and you could go there ride the rides and go see a concert in the same night.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:29 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,457,648 times
I think there is a very slim chance it will reopen. There has to be a buyer willing to revamp the park and it's marketing campaign. From what I understand it will cost a lot more than what peple are willing to invest. It would be even more expensive to dismantle the rides and relocate the park. There are a lot of good threads about the park on the MB board.

They shouldn't have torn down the Pavillion!
The Pavillion Nostalgia Park is now open at Broadway at the Beach.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:36 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,322,395 times
MB will never be the same as when the Pavilion was THE PLACE.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:51 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,740,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
MB will never be the same as when the Pavilion was THE PLACE.
Long live the Pavillion.

My brother, living in South Carolina, was talking about this over Christmas. Apparently there is a whole lot to the story, but the summation, as I remember, was "we know how to do this, don't need any local help." Wrong!

lln

Old 01-07-2009, 10:59 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,322,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Long live the Pavillion.

My brother, living in South Carolina, was talking about this over Christmas. Apparently there is a whole lot to the story, but the summation, as I remember, was "we know how to do this, don't need any local help." Wrong!

lln
At least you can still have a hog dog and a beer at Peaches Corner

Old 01-07-2009, 11:14 AM

882 posts, read 3,539,328 times
I would agree with others that there is little likelihood of the HRP ever coming back to life. It's terrible that it failed, but the marketing plan just didn't fit the bill, so to speak which certainly did not help it garner any more business than it did. The current economic situation coupled with a multitude of other problems, primarily lack of adequate "out of market" advertising and an over inflated price all contributed to it's ultimate demise.

With regard to the former Pavilion... it boils down to the simple principle of 'best and highest use" and the property became worth far more than the pavilion would have generated. The entire "downtown" area is slated for a major revitalization over the next few years. Shopping, Dining and entertainment are all part of the plans. I do think that once this has been completed the Boulevard area will have a fresh new look and some of the problems and blight that they it is stigmatized by will go away.

With growth comes change.. some good some bad..

Old 01-07-2009, 04:46 PM

156 posts, read 351,218 times
I do not think "growth is in the near future" I have been all over the country and seen many plans go by the way side. Wichita has a multi million dollar river walk project that is on hold because of lack of $. My brother who works for a big plumbing and heating company has told me that even the strip clubs are not doing repairs because of slow business. They have opted for repairing a 200$ hot water heater instead of replacing it.
The Plumbing company he works for is telling the service people to get no less than 4 sales off of one service call. That is if you go to fix a sink, do a "free" plumbing inspection and find 4 other things to fix. He said they are pushing hard to get the service people to make up the economic short fall.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 01-07-2009, 07:33 PM

882 posts, read 3,539,328 times
Exactly the type of shady plumbing company I would NEVER want in my home or business....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area