Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 09:25 AM

1,401 posts, read 3,776,750 times

Advertisements

Seriously Taylor Swift singing with Stevie Nicks? What was Stevie thinking? That was the WORST rendition of Rhiannon I've EVER heard.

All Taylor did was kiss up to Nicks, tried to imitate her, and FAILED BADLY.

Someone please get rid of her and Miley Snorass before music really IS ruined. NONE of these little titwillows have ANY talent.

Swift and Cyrus are RUINING country music, now they are RUINING what's left of popular music.

Stevie is so far above Swift its not even funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 09:27 AM

1,401 posts, read 3,776,750 times
I admire Lady GaGa because she actually SINGS. She does not lip synch. She was on Ellen, and said she'd never do that, because if people were paying good money to see her, that she should SING. So I'll take GaGa over the others who can't utter a peep during their shows, lip synch the whole thing and charge beaucoup bucks while doing so.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:31 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,257,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Poor excuse for music. Beyonce? Lady gaga? Sounds like parts inside a Chinese made computer. Do these parts sing? Never mind. I would not listen if they shot their way into my home.
I had never seen a Beyonce video before they showed parts of a couple of them on I think GMA the day before the awards...

She reminded me of some of the girls guys picked up late at night on a street corner for two bits...

Old 02-01-2010, 09:38 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,101,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post
I just watched Lady Gaga and Elton Jhon's performance and for the first time I could hear Lady Gaga's real voice.
Normally it is so covered up by specia effects that I was even wondering if she had a decent voice at all.
Personally I don't care very much for singers who rely so much on special effects, make up etc.
It takes a lot more guts and ability to be just on stage without all that parafrenalia
Obviously you don't listen to her music or have seen her videos. She composes alot of her music, plays piano, and writes the lyrics. She teamed up with Akon who does the techo-composition part of her music.

The first time I saw her videos I was so glad to see someone who did more in a video than the average singers. Her clothing, sets, and maneuvers remind me of the early 1980s when MTV was fresh hit and alot of artists understood the power of a new visual venue for their music. Obviously, she takes influence from many early 80s British groups, David Bowie, Grace Jones, Michael Jackson, and Madonna. In her videos, you just never know what she's going to do next so there's a sense of anticipation.

She looks different all the time. She isn't afraid of appearing distorted nor what our society sees as ugly or unattractive. She's got a philosophical thing going on with the monster-issue (i.e., the artist Goya also depicted our inner fears as monsters or demons). She does parodies about what's going on in our society. She puts together things that seem to not go together. No, she's not the best singer or dancer or the most gorgeous but put it all together and she's certainly got something.

If she's so awful, then why are so many imitating her? Beyonce grabbed her crotch during the Grammy performance (a Gaga-video thing), everyone's wearing chain mail, mirrored mosaic glasses, metal armor, robotic outfits, over-ruffled fabric & feathered collars, etc.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:21 AM

125 posts, read 251,646 times
I'm a huge fan of pop music, but it's never been worse than this year. In my opinion, Swift and Gaga are mediocre and unmemorable artists. Swift is aimed at teenagers, which is cool, but she's also pretty young lyrically and has an immature voice. She is likeable, but she's a dime a dozen and say what you want about Kanye West (he IS a huge douche), he has three albums that are worlds better than Fearless (College Dropout, Late Registration, and Graduation). And fans of Gaga desperately try to sell her as an avant-garde, philosophical entertainer, which, after listening to The Fame Monster, I just cannot buy. She has a few solid songs, but she's riding the electropop wave for all its worth, milking every cent with her ridiculous, outlandish costumes, oversexed faux persona, and blandly overproduced singles that strive to achieve more.

They both have their fanbase (mainly young girls who are the main demographic who actually purchase modern music anymore), but they do not resonate with the majority and will not be remembered in time. Also, Beyonce is talented, but I thought Sasha Fierce was a major step down for her.

Hopefully this year, we get a more diverse, eclectic bunch of singles on the radio instead of being fed the exact kind of music month after month. I'm not holding my breath. Never has there been mainstream singles worse than the likes of "Bedrock" and "Replay".

Old 02-01-2010, 01:49 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,382,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
LMAO!!! I cannot stand Swift. I dont see how ANYONE would like that crap. Oh, I forgot, its country music with Disney backed marketing. Asked the teen if any guys he knows (high school) are into her and he said "NO".
That is NOT country music. Country music is George Strait, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Loretta Lynn, ....Not that crap they are playing in Trashville. And Taylor Swift---who ever told her she could sing??? SHe is awful. I would rather listen to a cow moan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
To all the TS haters, say what you want, but she is the one of the only artists that writes all of her music. I think she's got a bright future. Her voice isn't inspiring, but she's got talent, "she ain't no Miley Cyrus".
hmmm, hate to disagree with you, but she is NOT the only artist that writes their own stuff. She can't sing worth a dang! You said it yourself--voice isn't inspiring---no way did she deserve to win 4 grammys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
I agree, modern radio country is really soft rock, or just rock. There is good country music out therethat is based on the C&W music that came before, but it is not as visable as it used to be.

I think someone needs to name and divide all the country into sub-genres, like people like to do with metal or rap. It's such a broad category these days.
Totally agree with you!

Old 02-01-2010, 02:19 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,253,663 times
Philosophical question of the day:

For Eminem/Lil Wayne/Drake

"If a "performance" occurs and the sensors bleep out 3/4 of what is said/rapped/sang does that still equal a performance"

Oh, and Lil Wayne - pull up your pants - that look you're sporting is sooooooooo over, take your style clues from Jay-Z and John Legend.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:27 PM

503 posts, read 710,696 times
i wish lady gaga wouldn't do the electro thing.then i'd listen to her cuz she has a damn good voice.she'd be really good in a rock band or just as a piano player.but the electro crap is horrible.but she is still above swift and the others.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:09 PM

10,038 posts, read 9,525,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
At least some of the presenters are cool like elton john, carlos santana & alice cooper.

WTF was with Elton John.... He looked like his limo broke down on the way to the awards and had to fix it himself.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:11 PM

10,038 posts, read 9,525,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
The Grammys...where art goes to die.
The Grammys AKA freakfest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music