Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:16 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,753,203 times

Advertisements

I listen for mood and memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 01:45 PM

27,200 posts, read 46,757,871 times
I listen to what I listen to because it's what I grew up listening to. Songs from the 70's and 80's, with some 60's tossed in the mix. My parents listened to country, and I still listen to it--because it's easier to sing, and doesn't tend to have the high notes of rockers. I was involved in band, and got to learn other instruments existed--not just guitars, drums, and synth. Jazz, swing, big band music all use a fuller range of instruments than most rock songs, although you will find people that play a blues oriented rock like George Thorogood, who bring in sax and horns. And there's Ian Anderson (of Jethro Tull) and Marshall Tucker Band, who have featured flutes in their songs.

I also tend to like music written in minor chords.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:24 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,745,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
Desertsun41, we all respect your opinion, which you are absolutely entitled to hold, but it is a bit disrespectful to JoCo freak who started this thread (and other users who participate in this thread) for you to come in this thread specifically to spew your I-hate-(w)rap rant du jour.
I didn't spew my hate for wrap, I spewed my love for classic rock. Whole lotta love to go round.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:21 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,674,655 times
Because I like what I like...

I even like wrap. Especially with a spinach tortilla, they are the best.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:43 PM

18,265 posts, read 25,963,079 times
Been away for a while but I like what this thread is all about.

When it comes to music, I can't get enough. My parents went in different directions musically, my Mom really getting into Jazz, Big Band, Original cast movie soundscores, and lots and lots of female vocals; Joni James, Peggy Lee, Julie Andrews, etc. Oh, and Sinatra. That was her first concert she went to. Dad was a firm believer of the old saying "If it ain't country, it ain't music!" But there was a reason for it. I was only seven when my Grandad died, but I remember his fiddle playing even now. My Grandparents time of life was growing up 20 years after the Civil War ended, and they loved the music and compositions of Steven Foster. And Grandad would play Foster's "Camptown Races" all the time. Damn good fiddler too!

I've been collecting for 46 years. How's that for ancient? But you know what? I get pumped on new releases just as much as listening to my Moody Blues lp's which gets played often. As 45's cost 39 cents when I bought my first one (the Dovells "Bristol Stomp"), I always looked for something more than just the single. Even though I'm closing in on 60, I buy music every week. I listen to as wide a variety as you can imagine. Why? Like a woodcarver that works with his hands, I appreciate people that work with their mind, their thoughts. And get those thoughts down on notes, and play the notes. I'm as all over the board on musical tastes as you can find. I can listen to the Moodies, then Coltrane, then Patsy Cline, then John Hartford, then Aaron Copeland.. There is always something out there that got by me musically years ago that I discover.

It keeps me going.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:36 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,246,060 times
My parents were both jazz lovers, especially West Coast "cool" jazz and progressive big band, so I heard lots of Stan Kenton and Woody Herman when I was a kid. Along about the age of 14, I started to like rock'n'roll, which disappointed my dad no end. I remember him walking into my room when I was about 15 (1961) and was listening to a 45 (a Duane Eddy record, I think) , rolling his eyes and exclaiming, "Where did we go wrong?"!

I think rock peaked in the late 60s-early 70s. The musicianship was quite good by then, and the arrangements were great. When Chicago and Blood, Sweat & Tears came along, that was just about perfect IMO. I was in a local 9-piece band called Dallas County that did all that stuff, and it was great fun to play on bass!

Like DOUBLE H, I like some of just about all kinds of music, even [w]rap (although not much of it). My faorites are rock, jazz and classical. But a lot of country is quite good. Last time I drove across West Texas, it was all I could get on the radio, and it was perfect for the situation. Nothing else would have fit!

Old 07-01-2009, 06:36 AM

18,265 posts, read 25,963,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
My parents were both jazz lovers, especially West Coast "cool" jazz and progressive big band, so I heard lots of Stan Kenton and Woody Herman when I was a kid. Along about the age of 14, I started to like rock'n'roll, which disappointed my dad no end. I remember him walking into my room when I was about 15 (1961) and was listening to a 45 (a Duane Eddy record, I think) , rolling his eyes and exclaiming, "Where did we go wrong?"!

I think rock peaked in the late 60s-early 70s. The musicianship was quite good by then, and the arrangements were great. When Chicago and Blood, Sweat & Tears came along, that was just about perfect IMO. I was in a local 9-piece band called Dallas County that did all that stuff, and it was great fun to play on bass!

Like DOUBLE H, I like some of just about all kinds of music, even [w]rap (although not much of it). My faorites are rock, jazz and classical. But a lot of country is quite good. Last time I drove across West Texas, it was all I could get on the radio, and it was perfect for the situation. Nothing else would have fit!
I know what catman means regarding the situation! I travel through SE New Mexico every now and then, and when I get close to Clovis, it's Buddy Holly in the CD player immediately. Although certainly not country, Clovis and Lubbock, east of Clovis, were Holly's stomping grounds as a kid. And a lot of Holly's material was recorded at Norman Petty's recording studios in Clovis. And the music is SO good!

Old 07-01-2009, 07:47 AM

15,153 posts, read 11,663,122 times
For me, I grew up listening to music my parents listened to (Supertramp, Little River band, The Who) and grew to like the complexities of Ochestral type rock, hence why i love ELO. To me, there is no better music than can envoke feelings from you.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:11 PM

250 posts, read 465,023 times
This is a good question and great thread topic. I was first exposed to music with The Beatles on Ed Sullivan when I was around 6 or so. Then, my high school years were during the mid to late 70's so I was listening then to what is now called Classic Rock. I enjoyed the first couple of years of MTV in the early 80's and that was really the last era of great new music for me personally. So, the 70's & 80's AOR, along with the Beatles (& other melodic bands influenced by them) are what keeps me still interested in listening.

BTW, if you long for the free-form 70's-era deep cuts format, check out Radio IO's Classic Rock station - it'll take you back to your school daze (if you were in high school then).

Old 07-02-2009, 02:20 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,853,282 times
My parents and my five-years-older sister always had music on when I was growing up. There was no way I was not going to care about music. My parents like doo wop which I despise, but my sister for whatever reason was into the "blue-eyed soul" so I got into that. She also had a Donna Summer album so maybe that's how I got into disco. Above all I was 5-15 in the 80s so that was my music growing up, my young life soundtrack. I adore that music because it's fun and nostalgic; I know what grade I was in when this song and that song were out.

When late 80s/early 90s R&B happened I absolutely fell in love with it. I wish there were much more stuff like that out now (every now and then I'll find something new that's decent, but it's all too rare). It is so sexy and so relaxing. Of course it's romantic and in it you hear men say things they'd never say in real life!

So some of it was family influence, but some of it was just running into stuff by accident and getting hooked on it like a drug. I love deep lyrics but if a sound is good enough that's reason enough to go with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music