Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you listen to music?
It's a psychological necessity & puts me in a better mood! 8 25.00%
To crank it up & rock out (party) 0 0%
To take me to another time in my life/reminisce 3 9.38%
All or more than one of the above 19 59.38%
Other 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 05:03 PM

250 posts, read 464,393 times

Advertisements

My first post here which is also a poll...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 05:06 PM

1,977 posts, read 3,580,113 times
I don't see the poll, But music for me is a form of Escapism. It can take you so many places and make you forget about your problems, for 3 or 4 minutes, or make you go to sleep

Old 06-15-2009, 05:08 PM

250 posts, read 464,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywatcher75 View Post
I don't see the poll, But music for me is a form of Escapism. It can take you so many places and make you forget about your problems, for 3 or 4 minutes, or make you go to sleep

It took me a minute or two to finish the poll but it's there now.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:14 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,355,892 times
I listen to music in the car so that I can sing along really loud.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:11 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,849,757 times
I love to sing, whether I'm a good singer or not. I know so many songs and words to songs that I could never get bored. Most of what I listen to does take me back to a certain time, and that makes me really happy or really nostalgic. It's good to hear people that seem to feel the way I do, even if it were at a different time for them. It's fun to burn energy with fast/dance/angry tunes, and can be good to laugh at the cheesy/pointless/nonsensical stuff. I would be lost without it.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:09 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,986,928 times
Default Music get's me started everyday!

I enjoy all types of music.

I produce music so the different sounds that I hear from various artists allows me to take a sound and match it with a different sound like a kid playing with a ***-saw puzzle.

Music to me is the essential reflection of life that you can only hear!

Old 06-16-2009, 01:00 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,790,495 times
Its all of the above and so much more!

Not to sound overly cliche and corny but music is practically the rhythm of my life.

When I listen to music while Im walking or jogging I realized that I literally run/jog in time with the music.

I've always had a weird connection with music and sound in general. I like all kinds of sounds from voices, to music, to random sounds of nature. Even listening to the sound of windshield wipers is somewhat musical (and definitely rhythmic).

My parents say when I was little they would turn the music on when we were in the car and I would just completely zone out. They used to jokingly say I was hypnotized. I wouldn't call it hypnotism but music has a way of letting you zone out from reality and just completely remove yourself from your surroundings. I think thats partially why I like music so much.

I love playing music and creating music but I must admit, I really love listening and receiving music a lot more. It really takes you on a journey (again..please excuse the lame cliche). Music can take you to so many different emotions and experiences.

I guess I would compare my relationship to music with someones relationship with visual arts (drawing/painting/sculpting). I was never able to get into visual arts. I would visit museums and people would be gawking at paintings and commenting on how moving an art piece was, how it had so much meaning and so on. I could never get into that or understand it but then I think about how I am with music and I guess I can kind of understand where they are coming from. Maybe a similar experience just a different medium.

Lets just say if I had to either give up the ability to talk or to hear, I'd definitely give up my voice.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:05 PM

258 posts, read 443,623 times
To make my soul come alive!!!!

YouTube - Judge Jules - Ordinary Day (Karl G Remix)

Old 06-16-2009, 04:11 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,059,083 times
I do not understand musical theory at all, and respect those who do.
Music for me is a visceral experience. I enjoy many different genres.
Music can enhance, facilitate escape, or elevate.
It is a daily part of my life.
To me, being deaf would be much worse than being blind.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:36 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,358,124 times
'Cause I don't wanna hear my relatives SING!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music