Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2008, 09:08 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,409,096 times

Advertisements

Fields of Gold--Sting
Forever Young-- Rod Stewart, or Bob Dylan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 09:09 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,662,426 times
I don't know the name of the song, but I heard a song on the country station in Charlotte that choked me up. "If you're reading this, I'm already gone." The singer had a beautiful voice is why I listened to the song. There are some really difficult to sing notes in that song. I love it.

I googled it. Tim McGraw sings "I'm already home." Just thinking about the song brings me to tears.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:21 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,266,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
"The Green Fields of France (No Man's Land)" is a beautiful song. It was originally by Eric Bogle but the only version I know is a cover by the Dropkick Murphys. It's about all the wasted lives in World War One and I get teary eyed every time I hear it. Not only is it a superb song but it also delivers a very powerful message about humanity itself.

If you've ever seen the HBO documentary "Skinheads USA" from 10 years ago or something, there's a scene where they're sitting around a living room and that song as performed by Skrewdriver comes on. It honestly kind of sounds like Kermit the Frog singing it.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:06 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,389,634 times
Mother -- John Lennon

Old 03-06-2008, 02:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,310,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Mother -- John Lennon
Yeah, that song (and some of his others of that era) are kind of hard to listen to. Not necessarily because the lyrics are incredibly moving, but because you can tell that he was way f#*%ed up and in a very bad place at that point in his life.

Then he finally gets his act together for the first time since the mid-60s and some a-hole mows him down.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:34 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,389,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yeah, that song (and some of his others of that era) are kind of hard to listen to. Not necessarily because the lyrics are incredibly moving, but because you can tell that he was way f#*%ed up and in a very bad place at that point in his life.
So true. Of all the emotional music that I have known, I think The Plastic Ono Band album is my best example of how one can feel emotion pouring through their speakers. I have a great relationship with my own parents, but when I listen to "Mother" I suddenly feel just like an abandoned child.

Quote:
Then he finally gets his act together for the first time since the mid-60s and some a-hole mows him down.
And may the killer rot forever.
I just watched the film "The Killing of John Lennon". It's a nice little indie flick (a bit on the artsy side) with a very realistic death scene. I may have even let a few tears drop as I watched.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:56 PM

738 posts, read 1,885,797 times
Another great song is:

A Hard Habit To Break- CHICAGO

Check it!!!!!!

Old 03-09-2008, 09:18 PM

189 posts, read 629,372 times
Merry Christmas - Third Day

It's a song about a child waiting to be adopted from an orphanage and a family wanting to adopt a child and how they are both disappointed when Christmas comes and it hasn't happened yet. Then finally their dream of having a family happens.....such a sweet and tender song.

"It's Christmas time again but you're not home
Your family is here and yet you're somewhere else alone
So tonight I pray that God will come and hold you in His arms
And tell you from my heart, I wish you a Merry Christmas"

Old 03-09-2008, 11:35 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,498,487 times
Default Teddy Bear

Teddy bear by Red Sovine. This is an old truckers song.

YouTube - Teddy Bear

Old 03-10-2008, 12:45 AM

17 posts, read 79,530 times
New Edition- Can you stand the rain. By far one of the best rnb songs of all time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music