Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Music industry ends mass lawsuits against file sharers, stealing music off internet, combat online music piracy, legal assault, breach of contract, Napster, RIAA headquarters

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 06:44 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,165,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
In short, the RIAA are the REAL thieves. They've been stealing from artists for years. I guess they just don't like some real competition for once.
Well, the idea that they're doing it for the artists is certainly a lot of bull, I think. Although that was the initial idea behind copyright law in theory, at least, I think the RIAA has mostly pushed that as PR where it's not really true. After all, who is going to be coaxed by sympathy and guilt to give the industry more money when you believe that it's so the record companies, big publishers, etc. can make more money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 07:08 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,165,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Well, I am going to play devil's advocate here and say that I for one would like to see people who download music illegally get fined. Sorry! Artist have to eat too.
I think the problem is our economic system. I don't think that the fact that the economic system sucks justifies a bad law.
Quote:
But, when someone downloads a song illegally, guess what? The artist isn't getting a dime.
One curious thing about our approach to these things is that when you buy a used CD, from Amazon, from eBay, etc., the artist still doesn't get a dime.

In visual art, there are actually laws in some states (which I don't agree with, but I'm just saying) about this. If you buy a painting that I did (I'm a musician/composer, a visual artist and a writer, by the way) and resell it, legally, you're supposed to pay me a percentage of the resale. If we were really making laws designed to provide support for artists, you'd think that folks in favor of that approach would be campaigning for musical artists to directly receive a percentage of resale prices, too.
Quote:
the only people making it will be a bunch of hobbiest, most of whom suck and the quality of ambient music goes down the tube?
The idea that the best music is made by those who make a living (only from) their music is a bit ridiculous, and shows little understanding of the dynamics of various art worlds as a business.
Quote:
HOW IS THAT NOT THEFT??
It's not theft because you're not removing materials from another's possession.
Quote:
I mean, who is going to spend money on that crap on mainstream radio?
Wait, those are the folks making big bucks. Many artists on smaller labels actually do have other sources of income, because they have to. It's not something most would publicize, but it's not unusual. You don't make much money selling 10,000 CDs on a small label and playing in venues with a capacity of a few hundred people. I've been in bands at that level and I've known many other people who were. When we weren't on the road, we'd work various other jobs to supplement our income, many people have spouses or other SO's who worked full time, etc. Heck, even someone as popular and in demand as the bassist Jeff Berlin had a wife who worked full time in the insurance industry. That wasn't because she loved working in the insurance industry.
Quote:
Other than that, I don't mind shelling out the whooping fifteen dollars for a CD . . . It all boils down to people being too cheap to buy a CD.
A lot of artists on smaller labels and playing smaller venues can't afford spending $15 a pop on many CDs. They've got to not only buy food, but pay for rent or a mortgage, car insurance, maybe make car payments, homeowner's insurance, help support spouses and kids, etc. Before you could download music, we'd tape albums for each other, trade tapes, buy them used, etc.--artists do not see a penny of that money either, as I mentioned.
Quote:
Just because it's not a physical CD does not mean it's not theft... if you think so, than please give me your social security number so I can steal your identity
The problem there isn't that you're literally "stealing my identity" it's that you could incur debt that people expect ME to pay for, you could give ME bad credit, etc. It's not really theft, rather it's a kind of fraud.

Last edited by Tungsten_Udder; 12-22-2008 at 07:16 AM..

Old 12-22-2008, 11:15 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,108,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
On a different note, Warner Music has asked Youtube to remove music videos due to contract dispute, so our links to music videos could be gone.

Warner Music pulls videos from YouTube - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081221/en_nm/us_warner_youtube - broken link)
And in related news:
Warner Music videos removed from YouTube - Los Angeles Times
Quote:
Warner Music Group's videos began disappearing from YouTube this weekend, the casualty of a contract impasse between the music company and the Internet's dominant video site.

Negotiations broke down last week over licensing fees for Warner's music and videos, say people familiar with the discussions who were not authorized to speak publicly. ...
paidContent.org - Someone Forgot To Tell Warner YouTube Has The Upper Hand; WMG Videos Are Off Google Site's Grid - washingtonpost.com
Quote:
About those plans YouTube has to show the music labels who has the upper hand, think of it like a poker game: when you're not the only game in town, it makes it easier for players to walk away from the table. Conversely, when you think your game is the only game in town that matters, you're not going to fold just keep them playing. ...
FOXNews.com - Warner Music Pulls Videos From YouTube - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News
Quote:
For now, the decision doesn't appear likely to escalate into a broader battle between YouTube and the music industry, as people close to the other major labels said they didn't anticipate taking down their content in the immediate future. Still, the dispute reflects frustration within media companies over how little ad revenue is generated by their deals with YouTube. ...
Sony BMG, WMG Pull Content From iLike
Quote:
Sony BMG and Warner Music Group have blocked full-song streaming of their music from the iLike service.

The move comes months after iLike struck a deal with Rhapsody, earlier this year, to let users stream a limited number of full songs from the service for free. Rhapsody lets non-subscribers stream 25 songs a month in full before reverting to 30-second samples, relying on advertising to cover the licensing costs.

Several services such as iLike and MOG partnered with Rhapsody for this feature as a sort of ad-hoc full-song streaming strategy. But the record labels say its agreement with Rhapsody doesn't allow third parties to use the service in this way without their express permission, leading to the blocked content.

Now iLike streams full songs in other ways, such as linking to YouTube videos, and also allows 30-second clips from both labels' catalogs. It's unclear at this time whether iLike and Rhapsody will work out these issues to allow a resumption of full song streaming, or if other labels will follow Sony BMG and WMG in withholding their music. ...
Going back a few years to gain some perspective, and how times change:
BBC NEWS | Entertainment | YouTube in 'landmark' music deal
Quote:
Video-sharing site YouTube has signed a deal with media giant Warner Music to allow its material to be used legally.

It means interviews and videos by Warner's artists can be used in return for a slice of advertising revenue. The agreement also covers the use of material in homemade videos, which form a large part of YouTube's content.

Both companies hailed it as a landmark agreement, coming days after Universal Music said it was considering legal action over sites such as YouTube. ...
Warner Music embraces YouTube • The Register
Quote:
Warner Music Group (WMG) has broken ranks with its fellow music majors and is climbing into bed with YouTube. The record label will use the video hosting phenomenon to distribute music videos and extras such as interviews with bands, and documentaries. Also, YouTube users can tap WMG’s music catalogue for backing on videos they make and upload onto the service.

This does not signify that WMG is giving its blessing to freeloaders: it will use YouTube's "advanced content identification and royalty reporting system, set for release by the end of the year". The two companies will also share advertising revenues on WMG videos uploaded onto YouTube.

According to WMG, the YouTube deal will enable artists to connect with a vast audience in an "entirely new way". Warner Music boss Edgar Bronfman says: "As user-generated content becomes more prevalent, this kind of partnership will allow music fans to celebrate the music of their favorite artists, enable artists to reach consumers in new ways, and ensure that copyright holders and artists are fairly compensated." ...

Old 12-22-2008, 04:06 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,516,031 times
Funny this thread should resurface since playlist.com just started pulling it's song lists from people's MySpace's due to what they claim is legal stuff.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:40 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,726,920 times
What's the current status on this? I haven't been keeping up lately.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:32 PM

603 posts, read 971,235 times
There's still mass lawsuits daily. AND the ISPs are going to start working with RIAA etc, to do the 6 strikes thing to warn, then eventually shut off your service. If, you don't get slapped with a $3,000 bill for DL'ing some cheese quality copy of ***** Farm or whatnot.

That's pretty much where it stands.
Slowly, the noose tightens. Get out while ya can.
Etc etc etc.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:35 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,716,496 times
maybe they should make a music tax for online users.. $5 a month to steal what you're going to steal anyways.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:37 PM

603 posts, read 971,235 times
Yeah, that sounds like a brilliant plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music