Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 07:44 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,608 times

Advertisements

Can anyone explain to me why the CMA's features Lil Wayne or..
Snoop?You dont see Strait or Paisley at the Source awards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 01:41 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
No one knows? After last years CMAs I researched why Snoopy was introduced on stage and didn't even do anything. He was booed. Then he left. The cameras fixed on the audience and the faces were priceless. Everyone had the same expression: "what the hell is he doing here"?

Funny though how The Eagles and Bon Jovi were more then welcomed though. Oh yea and Darius Rucker got a standing ovation at the CMAs the other day. All rock and roll stars, welcomed by country music.

Hmmmmm

Perhaps......maybe just maybe??? Those rapping fools sense that rap is starting to finally die and they think that country music will welcome them as they did rock?

Not a chance. None at all.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:43 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
No one knows? After last years CMAs I researched why Snoopy was introduced on stage and didn't even do anything. He was booed. Then he left. The cameras fixed on the audience and the faces were priceless. Everyone had the same expression: "what the hell is he doing here"?

Funny though how The Eagles and Bon Jovi were more then welcomed though. Oh yea and Darius Rucker got a standing ovation at the CMAs the other day. All rock and roll stars, welcomed by country music.

Hmmmmm

Perhaps......maybe just maybe??? Those rapping fools sense that rap is starting to finally die and they think that country music will welcome them as they did rock?

I think country fans should lighten up. Rap isn't going anywhere and Snoop or little Wayne aren't looking to cross over. Music is a universal language, you don't even have to understand what the words mean sometimes is the rythm and how it translates. The award show is to celebrate and acknowledge country artists...something anyone can do.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:24 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,143,891 times
I didn't see the whole show -- I really only wanted to see the Kid Rock performance (although my girlfriend is partial to Taylor Swift, and I do admit that I like her new album a lot). Anyway, is that the only appearance Lil Wayne made? If so, it may not have necessarily been a CMA decision/idea. I think he's pals with Kid Rock and they probably thought it would be funny to have him on there pretending to play guitar. And I think they also performed the same song together - this time with Lil Wayne actually doing some rapping - on another recent award show (maybe the MTV Video Music Awards?). So I'm not sure that the CMA's were at all interested in featuring Lil Wayne - they might've just gone along with a Kid Rock idea. As for why Kid Rock was on? Ratings. To get people like me to watch.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:48 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Can anyone explain to me why the CMA's features Lil Wayne or..
Snoop?You dont see Strait or Paisley at the Source awards.
Agreed. The only rapper that should grace the stage at CMAs is Cowboy Troy!

Old 11-17-2008, 02:20 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,481 times
Quote:

Hmmmmm

Perhaps....maybe just maybe??? Those country music fools have no sense about rap and think it is dying, therefore artists such as Snoop must be trying to rescue their career by crossing over.

Not a chance!
If you knew anything about certain rappers, it's that some have open minds. I've heard on more than on occasion Snoop say he loves country music and has a respect for everyone. Like stated, it's a universal language.
One would think that rappers would hate country, rock, or anything not "cool", but it's quite the contrary. They embrace music as a whole. Realistically, it is the closed-minded country fans and certain artists who look down from their high-horse and say "that isn't music". Once again...

Pretty funny...you'd think rappers would want to stick with their own kind, and the country genre...older generation and new also, would welcome and appreciate artisitic talent that could not only help generate money, but also bridge gaps. People love diversity, just as long as it isn't in their backyard...you hear me?

Old 11-17-2008, 02:24 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,869 times
I think Snoop was on because he was one of the "reality" TV shows that the country channels are doing now.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:28 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Snoop? How is a sane person supposed to give that creep any credit with a stupid name like that? Even if the creep likes country music the fact is the audience booed his can off the stage. He just does not belong in a music hall. A hall where music is played. The audience felt he should just stick to the bongo drums where the other getto noise is carried out.

Its one thing watching rock crossing over and blending with country but that getto rap trash will always remain solitary among modern teens until it dies, which hopefully is soon. Country will never ever accept rap.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:15 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,424 times
Quote:
Snoop? How is a sane person supposed to give that creep any credit with a stupid name like that? Even if the creep likes country music the fact is the audience booed his can off the stage. He just does not belong in a music hall. A hall where music is played. The audience felt he should just stick to the bongo drums where the other getto noise is carried out.

Its one thing watching rock crossing over and blending with country but that getto rap trash will always remain solitary among modern teens until it dies, which hopefully is soon. Country will never ever accept rap.
You need to calm down and not get so hysterical over a Black rapper at a country music award show. Snoop is not a creep and I wasn't aware he played the bongo drums. He was there with everyone else celebrating a particular genre of music and it's artist and not for one minute trying to break into country music. Those people who booed were s**t kicking back water ingnorant trash with limited inteligence. He wasn't booed off stage in Amsterdam when he appeard with Willy nor was he booed when he appeared in a Bollywood movie (you do know what that is?)

Toby Keith has infused his kind of rap with some of his songs, Kenny Chesney has a definate raggae beat to some of his music as have others. You've got Australians making it big in country music, artists being introduced that sound more pop than country so much so that the old timers George Jones and not so old uns like Alan Jackson have nothing good to say about them, yet you feel such utter contempt for Snoop because he was goofing around and having fun?????

Maybe next time they'll have Cowboy troy on that you might prefer. Can we holler uncle tom and fetch and step all in one sentence?

Peace out

Old 11-18-2008, 04:17 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
rappers have often crossed genre lines. Nelly did a song w/ Tim McGraw a few years ago (not Nelly Furtado the singer, but Nelly the rapper (ie, Country Grammar), though in the song w/ Tim McGraw, he does more singing than rapping). ETA: the song is called "Over and Over", and its a great song! look past the fact that Nelly is a rapper, and even you may like it, desertsun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=temaoKXSVxw

more likely than not, if they were told to go or invited, it was for ratings (Lil' Wayne is very popular right now overall), or they have just crashed the show, the same way actors who have no connection to a film at all show up at the premiere all decked out in front of the cameras (mostly D list actors)

ETA: desertsun41, your whole post comes off as SO IGNORANT and IDIOTIC about the rap genre as a whole! you may not like the genres, but don't make gross idiotic comments such as "he should beating on bongo drums" (which comes off as borderline racist anyways). rap is music and many artists of various genres have done songs w/ rappers

Last edited by eevee; 11-18-2008 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: sp, added link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music