Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 02:39 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,554,002 times

Advertisements

Shadoe Stephens - what a voice.

I also second Twinkle Toes' choices - old school KROQ listener here too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 06:48 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,326,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
In the late 50's - 60's rock & roll was all on AM stations, that seemed to sound best on a car radio In the WashingtonDC area we had a lot of stations. My first memory is Don Dillard on WDON 1540 Wheaton MD. Harve Moore "The Boy Next Door" on WPGC 1580 Morningside MD. Barry Richards on WINX 1600 Rockville MD. Johnny Dark on WCAO 600 Baltimore MD.

Back in those days you could get AM stations from far away at night. We listened to WBZ 1030 Boston and "Cousin Brucie" on WABC 770 New York City.

WPGC Tribute Site

WABC Musicradio 77

Radio Hall of Fame - Bruce Morrow, disc jockey
A little before my time as I was a toddler in the early 60's. Does anyone remember a DJ called Tom Clay. I know he was with a radio station or two in the Detriot area in the 50's. He was later on air in LA into the 60's and winded up doing voice overs after his DJing career was over. I got to know Tom through the voice Over industry, but he often talked about his DJing days.

To the OP I didn't have a clue who Wolfman Jack was when he once called my work number. Very rude and gruff and I hung up on him only to be told by a friend, do you know who that was?

Old 12-06-2008, 06:51 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,326,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Shadoe Stephens - what a voice.

I also second Twinkle Toes' choices - old school KROQ listener here too.
Back in the 80's I had a crush on Shadoe Stephens. He had what I call a real radio voice, something most lack these days.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:08 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,425,675 times
As a kid, my favorite was Hy Lit at WIBG in Philly. RIP Hy.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:24 PM

8,878 posts, read 13,969,256 times
I used to like the jocks on New York's 77AM WABC back in the 60's and 70's. Guys like Harry Harrison, Ron Lundy, George Michael, Cousin Bruce Morrow, etc.

After I discovered FM in the later 70's and 80's, you had the cool NY rock jocks on WPLJ and WNEW. Guys and gals like Jim Kerr, Tony Pigg, Carol Miller, Scott Muni, Pat St John, Dan Neer, Dave Charity, Jimmy Fink, Richard Neer, Mark McEwen, etc.

Ah yes, those were the days. Excellent music, cool jocks, good times!

Old 05-08-2009, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,738 times
Default Wolfman Jack, disc jockey Detroit, MI

Does anyone remember what The Wolfman called his show in Detroit in the 1960's? I am running a trivia question on another website and need to get this answer ASAP. Thanks. JoycieR68

Old 05-08-2009, 09:13 AM

4,083 posts, read 10,434,789 times
Herb Kent or Ramsey Lewis (not really a DJ tho')

Old 05-08-2009, 10:26 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,768,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoycieR68 View Post
Does anyone remember what The Wolfman called his show in Detroit in the 1960's? I am running a trivia question on another website and need to get this answer ASAP. Thanks. JoycieR68
I doubt you will ever be back to read this but I dont recall Wolfman Jack having a show in Detriot so I looked it up. I can find no record of him ever performing or DJing in Detroit or ever being part of the scene there which presumably would be the motown movement.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:32 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,554,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I doubt you will ever be back to read this but I dont recall Wolfman Jack having a show in Detriot so I looked it up. I can find no record of him ever performing or DJing in Detroit or ever being part of the scene there which presumably would be the motown movement.
I think they are asking about a different Wolfman; perhaps this guy?

Saturday night with The Wolfman | The Michigan Daily

Old 05-08-2009, 12:38 PM

42,410 posts, read 87,294,782 times
I was also going to say Robert W. Morgan, but he was a good friend and colleague of mine, and I didn't want to be accused of favoritism.

So I'll say Joey Reynolds at WKBW in Buffalo, and Wally Phillips at WGN Chicago and WLW Cincinnati. For jazz, it would be Dick Martin at WWL, New Orleans, gettin,g the nod over Willis Conover on Voice of America. Speaking of WWL, how about Dave Nemo who did the all-night truckers show, and I thinkn is still on XM? For country, it would be the great John R at WLAC Nashville. And Lee Moore, who played and pitched gospel records on WWVA, Wheeling WV. For classical, was there ever anyone but Milton Cross?

Preceding Wolfman at XERF in Del Rio, was Paul Kellenger, the mellifluous originator of the mail-order rackets. He sold "autographed pictures of Jesus Christ" for two bucks, which turned out to be wallet-size prints of Jesus, signed "Sincerely Yours, Paul Kellenger".

Worthy of mention is someone you've never heard of, but was the best cleverest talent I've ever heard ln the air. Dick Reeves was a Vietnam era draft dodger who went to Canada, and was wildly popular at VOCM in St. John's Newfoundland. I understand he is still there.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-08-2009 at 01:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music