Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 02:55 AM

1,489 posts, read 8,805,856 times

Advertisements

I dont like any popular music that has come out in the past 30 years really. And Im only 27!

I think that the music now is really so bad. While I am a country and western music fan, country music is trash now. Nashville doesnt mean anything anymore.

Rock music is even worse. There's no Rock Band I appreciate , except perhaps The Killers.

And I dont even hear any genuine Pop music anymore.

I wish we could go back to the 50s and early 60s when they had great Rock n' Roll and Pop music and Country Music meant something.

Now its all just meaningless fodder.

So, that being, said, I mostly only listen to independent or small label artists. For Country, I like Lucinda Williams, Ryan Adams, and occasionally the Mavericks.

For Rock its The Killers- although they have gotten a bit too mainstream these days, they still make great music.

For Pop I just dont know if it even exists anymore, but I like oldies like Patsy Cline and Elvis Presley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 05:12 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,073,921 times
I think that there has always been plenty of crud in mainstream music.
But the almighty dollar has so much upperhand now that recording companies do not nurture musicians along as they once did. Bands take fewer risks because they literally can't afford to. And then, once they become successful and are more known than the latest blurb in Pitchfork Review, they become accused of "selling out."
I am 52 and still believe there is good music out there. The White Stripes, when they first appeared on the scene, gave me hope. I went to the VooDoo Music Festival back in October and saw a few good young bands along with the Meters and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:36 AM

22,953 posts, read 28,358,254 times
Music is just like any other form of entertainment: 99% of it is crap. That holds true of books, movies, TV, and music.

Nearly everything you'll hear on the radio these days is blech, and that's true of both rock and country. However, there are still some diamonds to be found in the mud. I'd recommend.

ROCK --- The Dropkick Murphys, Garbage, Social Distortion, the Alarm, the Distillers, and Tom Waits.

COUNTRY --- Neko Case, Maria McKee. Beyond that, you're gonna have to delve into the classics: Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Dolly Parton, Waylon Jennings. Both Nelson and Parton are still recording and have put out some great albums over the past few years, but you don't often hear them on the radio.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:30 PM

Mark
I saw Social Distortion at the Voodoo Fest and enjoyed them.
They've been around for quite a while, haven't they? I like the Dropkick Murphys too. The Pogues are my favorite Celtic kids, along with The Chieftains.
Newer stuff days I listen to:
TV on the Radio, The Rapture, White Stripes/Raconteurs, The Shins, a bit of Snow Patrol, Decemberists, Yeah Yeah Yeahs.
But old favorites persist: Warren Zevon, Neil Young, Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:17 PM

892 posts, read 2,373,827 times
I have only seen Social Distortion live once and they were awesome, one of my favorite bands. It was an oudoor concert, I would of liked to see them in an indoor concert though.

It makes me feel old that I don't like anything on the radio but I couldn't imagine liking the crap when I was 16 either. It was great when I could watch the music awards and know every single singer/group. I don't even try to watch it now. I haven't like 90% of the stuff since 2000 and I'm only 31. I haven't liked 95% of the country music for the last 20 years.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:11 PM

22,953 posts, read 28,358,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Mark
I saw Social Distortion at the Voodoo Fest and enjoyed them.
They've been around for quite a while, haven't they?
They've been around since at least the early '90s. The last album they put out was excellent. They even covered an old Merle Haggard tune! Great stuff.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:11 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,655,980 times
It says something about music today and its future that most of the best albums of 2006 were put out by artists who are hardly youngsters: Ray Davies, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, P.F. Sloan, Scott Walker, Tom Waits, Radio Birdman, the New York Dolls, etc. etc. as well as a posthumous Johnny Cash album and pretty good (although not great) efforts from the Stones, the Who, and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Not to mention that albums by Marianne Faithfull, Brian Wilson, Nick Cave, Elvis Costello, Steve Earle, Joe Strummer, and Loretta Lynn will be considered amongst the best of this decade so far.

Meanwhile, one of the hottest new bands, The Good The Bad & The Queen, features Paul Simenon from the Clash.

What does this tell one about the future of music? All of the above acts mentioned above were already making music before 1980 - a few were making music before 1960! And a couple of the people mentioned are dead right now, no less.

Of course there are still younger acts that come along who do good stuff, but the numbers seem to be fewer and fewer (despite a brief illusion of hope in 2002-03 due to the well deserved success of the White Stripes, Jack being one of the very few acts of this decade who I can picture lasting even though the Stripes appear to be finished - the Raconteurs album, though, was quite excellent)

Old 02-12-2007, 03:19 PM

Majoun--good call with the Killer
Jerry Lee Lewis' new album, Last Man Standing, is good, good music. Lewis sounds so strong--he is the Master, and he is that much enjoyable heard playing with other stalwarts such as Bruce Springsteen and Eric Clapton.

Green Day is another youngish band I like. Billie Joe writes some good stuff.
American Idiot is a great album.

I have not lost hope in today's music. And I think the White Stripes will be back.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:29 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,655,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Majoun--good call with the Killer
Jerry Lee Lewis' new album, Last Man Standing, is good, good music. Lewis sounds so strong--he is the Master, and he is that much enjoyable heard playing with other stalwarts such as Bruce Springsteen and Eric Clapton.

Green Day is another youngish band I like. Billie Joe writes some good stuff.
American Idiot is a great album.

I have not lost hope in today's music. And I think the White Stripes will be back.
American Idiot did have good stuff on it, even though I classify Green Day in the same category as the Strokes - bands who do decent music as a whole with a few great songs rather than being great as a whole. (Also, they'd both be in the same musical category of being punk influenced rock bands).

While the Stripes seem to be history, I do see Jack White being one of the few figures of his generation who'll last, and is up to the caliber of the greats of the past. (Speaking of the Stripes, isn't ironic that "Get Behind Me Satan" was far more country than what's played on country radio? )

I also see a good future for Neko Case and Richard Hawley.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:51 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,805,856 times
Im sorry but Green Day is just awful.

I prefer The Killers as the only modern Rock band I can listen to.

But to actually write a song called "American Idiot". What trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music