Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 09:08 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times

Advertisements

unknown stuntman wrote:
Quote:
The thing about rap is that I have no problem with the social messages, even if I don't agree with them at times and some of the language
I've always felt that rap is the single worst example of popular music because there's actually no musicians for one thing, it's just some electronics going on in the background, and there really isn't any vocals, I've never heard a rap artist who actually sang. It's a shame because blacks have given America a whole lot of great music, blues, jazz, and the beginnings of rock and some of our greatest musicians like Jimi Hendrix. Rap is pathetic compared to what came before it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 09:53 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
unknown stuntman wrote:

I've never heard a rap artist who actually sang. .
Well, usually the genre of spoken word does not involve singing.
However, Outkast (was it Andre?) has been known to sing a bit, others too.
And other hip hop people have added instrumentational elements to their work.
There is hip hop, there is gangsta rap,there is alternative, there is alt-country such as Wilco, etc etc.
All of these categories have their good and bad examples, which of course can be subjective, as is this entire thread.

Spoken word goes way, way back. Ever hear of the Last Poets? Ever hear Gil Scott-Heron's "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised"? Public Enemy used it later. Powerful words then and now, and they do not necessarily need a melody.
Personally I do happen to prefer a melody, and I agree that a lot of that gangsta blingbling stuff is BS, but I can appreciate some spoken word.

I am not crazy about Arcade Fire, but do enjoy some of their stuff, as well as Broken Social Scene, the Shins, the Decemberists. Ike Reilly and the Assassination is excellent. Some of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.
Will any of these bands become mainstream?
Sometimes it happens.
ETA: heehee, probably the super-indie cutting edge types think those bands are already mainstream.
I agree that Rolling Stone has made some highly questionable declarations in their publication.

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 06-06-2007 at 10:02 AM..

Old 06-07-2007, 06:28 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,284 times
For me the fun was taken out of music after the 80's ended...since then there have been songs ive liked and some artists but mostly its all garbage as if they dont want the fans decide on what good music is anymore and they just push the crap into the mainstream and thats the only thing young people hear nowadays and so they choose out of those artists......

i think the 90's got more serious and depressing with lyrics and the sound of the music and then 2000 came along and there's been straight up garbage since then on the radio......i do however like a band thats new called "Shiny toy Guns" they have let me feel excited about something in music and its been a while since ive felt that......

"Shiny toy Guns" are a new band and kinda remind me of the 80's sound mixed with some depeche mode and some techno/synth and rock.......they have a good sound for us old school people...

well anyway i hope hip hop becomes more and more commercialized to the point that the ghetto people who listen top it will not like it anymore because (not all) but the majority of that genre is all about negativity and they always say....well we are rapping about what we see....well you are also poisoning minds along the way....why not rap about how you got to be sucsessfull........

i will admit i like some of the beats and some of the songs but cant listen too long because i notice that it puts you in a defensive mood like you should act like them in your life.....

Old 06-07-2007, 08:46 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Too many posts to look at so sorry if I repeat a few points already made.

I'm a thirtysomething fan of primarily electronica, hip-hop and R&B with a fondness for 80's pop and new wave. As my lady enjoys country as well as show tunes, I've gained a small appreciation for that as well. I'm not really much into rock but I do consider Led Zeppelin to be the funkiest rock band ever. I've been known to sit through some Van Halen, Rolling Stones and Beatles as well.

I feel that today's popular music - no matter what the genre - is about corporate executives reaching the lowest common denominator in order to maximize sales. It seems that talent is much less important these days than "image" or, in some cases, "the beats".

Hip-hop pften gets a bad rap - no pun intended - which is not totally deserved. I think many of us might remember the late 70's and early 80's when rap was essentially light-hearted party music. You can thank Grandmaster Flash's "The Message" for bringing a reality check as well as acts like Schooly D and NWA for bringing an even more brutally explicit assessment of their lives. The good news - sort of - is that the violent "gangsta" rap has started to give way to what I call "bling" rap which brings back some of the braggadocious party atmosphere of the 80's albeit while unfortunately retaining much of the misogyny that developed by the 90's. I'm an adult so I don't mind profanity or "sensual" language... but I will be happy if/when rappers stop referring to people as "triggas, snitches and pros".

Thank goodness my lady and I invested in satellite radio for our car and home. No matter what format you listen to on regular radio, it seems like they play the same 40-50 all day. By design, I think most of the music stations have much more variety if only to fill up their programming. Even better are the online services and sites where one can discover new music... especially that "space" that Rupert Murdoch bought into.

There's innovative, positive stuff out there... even so-called "conscious rappers" (Common, Mos Def, Talib Kweli among others) who seek to inspire rather than denigrate. You just have to dig a little deeper than your local radio station.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:56 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,295 times
I think a lot of today's rock is kind of garbage. I never did like Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Justin Timberlake, and etc. That's just not my type of music. I like a little bit of Mary J. Blige and Leann Rimes, but I'm more into the classic stuff, before 1990. That's the music I used to dance to all the time.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:30 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
I never did like Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Justin Timberlake
I don't consider them rock. Maybe pop?
Tone
Your tastes run very similar to my older son's. Do you happen to like the Rapture?
I kind of like VHS or Beta, too.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:10 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,537,491 times
I haven't read all so forgive me if Im repeating stuff.

I think we might be heading towards a golden age of music. I am not basing this on your big label bands we hear on the radio. My reasoning behind this is the COST of everything has suddenly become very very low. Look at all the outlets for everything. Youtube, Yahoo music, etc. etc. etc.

You don't even have to worry about pressing a cd and cover art anymore!

Basically all you have to worry about is making good music, get it out on the Internet and hopefully it takes off.

Before we had to rely on Radio, MTV, VH1, etc to decide for use what to hear. Now with all the other outlets that isn't the case.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:50 PM

165 posts, read 555,296 times
Default Music is dying !!!!!

Music really has taken on more of a Fashion, and, " In your Face " atittude.
It's all about learics, that are sarcastic and suicide or politics. In other words, It's not really changed at all since our Generations. The White Stripes, and those other bands, Have those same quality's as the beatles or the Kinks. Those new bands are more popular with those of us who liked the beatles and the Kinks. It's Like the Brittian revolution all over again.
Modern Rock is basically what was used to be underground in the seventy's and eighties. Green Day is now what The Clash used to be. Yeah !!! To me, alot of it is crap !!! But I like music, When it's more about the talent of the music. Guitar Work, great learics, Music that isn't ripetitive, Or is played 6 trillion times a day. Music Like John Mayor, David Gray, Ryan Adams, The Black Crows, The Dave Mathews Band, Jack Johnson, Susan Tedeschi, Train, and Knickle Back. This is Todays music that will be timeless in yrs to come. Yeah !!! I know alot of you think Dave Mathews has a weird voice. But they are great songs, Good learics, and a talented band.
Aside from the music I mentioned above, I have learned to enjoy, Jazz, Blues, Blue Grass, and Modern Folk as well as Classic Rock and Classical.
Todays music is the same a it was in the 90's, 80's, 70', 60's 50's. We are turning into what our parents thought of our music. My parents hated it when all I listened to was The Police, Talking heads, Modern English, Journey,Def leppeard, Rush, Quite Riot, Poison, Motely Crue, and very early Mattallica.
Just like todays parents and people like me listen to todays Pop. Rap is what metal used to be, and Hip Hop is what Disco used to be. Modern Rock is what Punk and underground used to be. Basically Today......Rockn Roll is dead !!! Thats why it's classic. Groups like the White stripes, and Black Crows do their best to keep it alive, But it's dead !!! Music gets revolutionised, and isn't buyest on who likes or doesn't. Thats the way it's always been through the yrs.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:02 PM

641 posts, read 2,370,470 times
Pop music is gay. I like rock and rap. I always loved classic rock. And I like some heavy metal, reggae and a little bit of blues and oldies. I don't like alot of todays rap. mostly old school. Green Day is awesome. I also like The Killers, Avenged Sevenfold, Alice cooper, Bob dylan, Crossfade, Drowning Pool, Led Zeppelin, Jimi hendrix, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Metallica, Motley Crue, Poison, Rage Against The Machine, Puddle of Mudd, Queens of The Stone Age, Smashing Pumpkins, Elvis Pressley, System of a Down, the Beatles, Van Halen, Hinder. This is all off the top of my head. I left out my rap collection. There are many bands I am leaving out. My playlist was erased when I did a system restore 3 months ago.

Not all of the music is garbage as so many of you claim. All of the pop britney spears, gwen stephanie however the hell you spell it justin timbalake, furgie. You can keep all that. That is the garbage. Pop music went down hill in the 90s. I didnt even like most of the 80s pop. I just stick to mostly rock.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:40 PM

165 posts, read 555,296 times
I'm sorry !!!! I really rhink that Rap is .... no pun intended ... crap !!!!!
It's repetitive, The whole gangster Rap thing just proves that people want to Idolize anger and death. Or being a Pimp ? All shorty's are my *******, and they worship me ? Get over yourselfs !!!!! Not all, But the majority of Rap music is Idolising crimininals, sex and power in the Ghetto's.
Wearing pants that are baggy and sag in the ****, because it resembles a cell mates uniform in jail. I know alot of you are going, " what the hell is this guy talking about ?" You remember when those pants came out in the early nineties ? It was said that these pants were made to look like what a cell mates pants would look like when they were loosing weight in jail doing time.
So now it's all the rage in fashion in the rap industry. Iv'e heard arguements that they are worn that way cause they are comfy. No !!!!!
I tried a pair and no freakn way would I wear them for a fashion statement.
Okay, Basically, Rap in it' s basic form is a poem to a beat. How can you justify this as music ? a good percentage of what notes and beats you hear are electronic If it's artificial, it's not music. It's just a Beat with some electronic notes put in to sell to the public with a poem. Oh, and sometimes they take old music to inhance it a little more, Ruining what the music once stood for, but they claim they are keeping those songs alive. No !!! It's because since rap is so simple and repetitive and not original, you have to spice it up with old music to get it to sell. " You can't touch This ", and that Vanilla Ice song used the songs, " Super Freak " and "Under Pressure"
And even if the rap is positive, It's just ennoying !!!! Actually, most of todays Pop culture, pretty much is simple minded bull**** !!!!! I litterally will not listen to the radio anymore, because nothing about it is original and exiting. Everything is based on fashion, atittude, and Popularity. Hence the Phrase Pop Culture !!!!! I wish people would wake up and realize there is no music out today that represents, Depth, talent, or what music is !!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music