Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:17 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,495,098 times

Advertisements

Again I have to stick with being a country purist. Seems hip-hop has worked it's way into pretty much every genre of music today...even classical!
We don't need it in everything.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:21 AM

4,417 posts, read 9,163,200 times
When you get down to it, almost everyone is racist. Nobody wants to admit. As far as hip hop it does not reflect on the true enlightened brothers and sisters that I know. They listen to old Jazz and Nina Simone. If a Black person wants to make a true down home country/folk album like Darius Rucker Im all for it.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:24 AM

I wouldn't call people like Darius Rucker hip-hop. Some people can cross over without making waves. He reminds me of a Charlie Pride anyhow.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:32 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,321,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Again I have to stick with being a country purist. Seems hip-hop has worked it's way into pretty much every genre of music today...even classical!
We don't need it in everything.
Country purist or no country purist you still seem to be having a hard time comprehending the gist of this thread. BLACK PEOPLE SINGING COUNTRY NOT BLACK HIP HOP ARTISTS WANTING TO BLEND HIP HOP WITH COUNTRY. Big difference. As I pointed out Bon Jovi who isn't black has given it a shot as has others.

So what hip hop artist has "infected" classical music?

Old 07-16-2008, 09:35 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,321,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I wouldn't call people like Darius Rucker hip-hop. Some people can cross over without making waves. He reminds me of a Charlie Pride anyhow.
Now we're getting somewhere. You saying your wannabe black boy/girl country singer has to conform to white boys idea of what's white enough ?

Old 07-16-2008, 09:46 AM

22,961 posts, read 28,400,605 times
I don't know much about the C/W industry or Nashville. Even the country I do like, I prefer the Texas or "outlaw" sound.

But I think this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
I don`t think too many black musicians choose to go the C/W route, prefering blues and in later years rap and hip-hop. Look at it from the other angle. How many white musicians apart from the obvious, Eminem and a few others, have made an impression on rap?? It wasn`t always the case though. On reading this it seems it was simply a natural progression for black music.
Is probably a very sensible explanation. Most black musicians simply have gravitated toward other forms of music --- blues, jazz, R&B, rock, hip hop, reggae, etc.

That being said, I remember when I was a kid my grandparents were HUGE Charlie Pride fans. I think I could probably still sing along with "Kiss An Angel Good Morning."

Old 07-16-2008, 09:48 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,778,317 times
I have to laugh at the title of the post.
Country appeals to a certain demographic.
Is there any racism to be found in Country?No
I know a few black folks who listen to Country but its not very common.
I dont need Rap mixed with Country or any other Genre.
Rap has ruined todays music enough already

Old 07-16-2008, 10:54 AM

18,259 posts, read 25,952,302 times
There is a great recording that came out in 1994 that brought country western and rhythm and blues together, called Rhythm Country and Blues, it is an absolute gem, IMHO. Some songs were recorded in Hollywood, some in Nashville, and some in New Orleans. Produced by Don Was, it is comprised of a country performer and an r&b performer covering standards like Southern Nights, The Weight, Chain Of Fools, I Fall to Pieces, and several others. There are some great pairings here like Sam Moore (Sam and Dave) and Conway Twitty doing Brook Benton's "Rainy Night and Georgia." Aaron Neville Neville and Trisha Yearwood does justice to Patsy Cline's "I Fall To Pieces." My favorite track is Clarence Carter's 1970 hit "Patches", done by George Jones and B.B.King. This project got its start by two guys; Chet Atkins and Allen Touissant. Touissant flew in to Nashville from New Orleans, met up with Atkins, laid down a few tracks, and one (Glen Campbell's "Southern Nights"), appears on the cd. Chairman Al Teller of MCA Records got involved, got the other musical pairings going, and the rest was history. IMO Don Was had to be a perfact pick for producing this because of his producing credits of a cross section of stars: Bonnie Raitt, Bob Dylan, Lyle Lovett, and dozens of others. A good reference on his career could be found on wikipedia. Alot of these artists never met their partner before, much less work with before. What made it work was that a lot of the r&b people admitting they liked a lot of country and vice versa. I listen to this cd a lot 14 years after its release. It proves to me that when you bring good people in, roll up your sleeves and go to work, good music is the result. You can put all the labels on it you want, but good music is still the result.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
BLACK PEOPLE SINGING COUNTRY NOT BLACK HIP HOP ARTISTS WANTING TO BLEND HIP HOP WITH COUNTRY. Big difference. As I pointed out Bon Jovi who isn't black has given it a shot as has others.

So what hip hop artist has "infected" classical music?
There were a couple of guys I heard on a local radio station that were touted as being a new 'breakout sensation' in the world of classical music. This was months ago,I don't remember their names but were wondering how things were working out for them. I'm sure if it takes off we'll be hearing more from them,and not just as a novelty.

I don't mind blacks or whoever else singing country music,but again it must come from the heart and not just them trying to 'hippen' things up

Old 07-16-2008, 11:40 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,322,281 times
Well,

As long as the music sounds good to my ears no matter what the genre, I could care less if the guy or gal is purple, pink, green, whatever. Who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music