Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 10:12 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,949,123 times

Advertisements

I agree with what a lot of people have said, when "everyone" seems to like something more and more people just keep listening to it, it gets played on commercials, openings to T.V. shows....etc etc. But fear not good music still exists! I have a LOT of cds and i would say "everyone"(most of those that just like what everyone seems to like) have not heard of many of them. Artists like Darkthrone, Necrophagist, Dying Fetus, Carpathian Forest, Suffocation, Decrepit Birth, Decapitated, I, Immortal, Aborym, Mortician, the list goes on and on and on! This is music that is very creative, and a lot of it VERY technical music that takes A LOT of talent! But on a mass scale, even these musicians that have worked for years and years, put all of their creative talent towards creating excellent music get little recognition, and certainly don't get rich doing it.

For example, listen to this short song "Stabwound" by the neo-classical/technical/brutal death metal band Necrophagist. All of the instruments, both guitars, bass, and drums, are playing very technical parts that have taken much time and talent to create. Inspired by many classical composers, Necrophagist has created modern expressions of art as was done by the greats long ago. This is definitely not their most complicated song, but simply technicality does not make a song great.

YouTube - Necrophagist - Stabwound

On another note, here is a band from Switzerland using traditional instruments and style to make modern music that is fun and very good! This is Inus Mona by Eluveitie, which uses not only bass, guitar, and drums, but also traditional instruments such as the hurdygurdy, mandola, tin whistles, fiddle, irish flute, and gaita to create awesome modern meets folk music! I've had the pleasure of seeing them live and it was amazing.

YouTube - Eluveitie - Inis Mona

And another band from Finland which use the accordian and violin in addition to drums, guitar, bass, and keyboards to create epic folk metal! The song is To Holmgard and Beyond by Turisas. I have also had the pleasure of seeing them and it was simply amazing!

YouTube - Turisas - To Holmgard And Beyond

Even though music that is popular may seem to be souless nowadays, there are still many musicians in all styles of music that are creating new and excellent music! Please take some time to listen to the songs, and know that this is true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 10:16 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,028,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
There is talent in EVERY genre of music. The thing is, once a genre becomes a part of pop culture, it becomes a business that is all about sex appeal and money. Looking for good songs on BET or MTV will leave you disappointed. You must look at independent artists and underground artists.

And dance and rap music are not to blame for the way music is today. There are good dance artists and good rap artists. It's just the untalented ones who get all the popularity. Have you guys ever heard of The Roots? It's a hip-hop band. An actual band. I'm sure most people have heard of Dr Dre. All of his beats are made using live instrumentation.
I agree there is talent in every genre. However, so much of rap and dance music has taken melody, and to a lesser extent harmony (particularly vocal harmony), out of music. Melody and harmony are a huge part of the musicality of a song.

Because of the decreased musicality I think much of the talent in rap and dance is not developed like it would be in a more challenging genre like rock, R&B, jazz, country, etc. Instead the musicians rely on technological innovations rather than musical innovations within themselves.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:37 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,949,123 times
Almost forgot to post a video of quite possibly the best Death metal band of all time, Dying Fetus! Here is a video for the song "Homicidal Retribution" off of their newest album! More proof that people are still creating original, excellent music!

YouTube - DYING FETUS - Homicidal Retribution

Old 05-11-2008, 12:46 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,596,618 times
Doesn`t disappoint me,,Then again I`m old school,,,,Everything around in the 60/70s was great right??? WRONG!! There was as much crap then as now..The difference then was that we wern`t lazy ***** and didn`t have it spoon fed to us...We went out and found it...

Old 05-11-2008, 12:48 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,040,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
.We went out and found it...
heh
Yeah, that's part of the fun.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
heh
Yeah, that's part of the fun.
Bloody kids eh??...Lost all sense of adventure..

Old 05-11-2008, 12:56 PM

681 posts, read 2,879,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I have been disappointed with just about all "music" since the 80's. The lack of talent, creativity and innovation is incredible. Without exception, it seems that everything I liked was from the past. An example, I have seen this ATT slide phone with some music about flowers. While initially thinking it was new, I discovered it was a remake of something from 1968. I do not even own a music CD, just records, and tapes. Perhaps there are indepentant artists out there, but the popular stuff is just boring.
I agree with you entirely. I'm 28 years old, and a professional musician... I think that the only music from "the new millennium" that I've ever performed has been country music.

Popular music these days is much more about image than it ever was. Image was always part of popular music, but not to this extent. People can't just make music... it seems to be such a huge competition. Sometimes I wish I could've lived through a time like the 50s, when the commonly accepted initiator of the rock 'n' roll era was a fat, balding, 30-something dude named Bill Haley!

The truth is, though, straight up rock 'n' roll continues to survive in certain forms. Bands like AC/DC, Van Halen, and the Rolling Stones continue to thrive and make new music which sells well because they stick to a time-honored, simple formula: make music that rocks. I like AC/DC, but most of their music sounds the same...... which is exactly why they're still hugely popular after over three decades.

American society has decided to deem immoral music "acceptable". That's why we have songs exclusively devoted to drug use, sex, murder, etc. I've listened to oldies for over 20 years... was there ever any music about any of those topics until the late '60s when drug use became more widespread?

Old 05-11-2008, 01:08 PM

Dear me young man you are in a sorry old state...Do you really think music and songs about drugs started in the 60s????
Let me inform and entertain..
http://www.mmguide.musicmatch.com/album/album.cgi?ALBUMID=1651255 (broken link)

Old 05-11-2008, 02:29 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,453,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
Bands like AC/DC, Van Halen, and the Rolling Stones continue to thrive and make new music
Van Halen hasn't put out a full record of new material in 10 years. They've been too busy playing musical singers and shuttling Eddie in & out of rehab.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:41 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,251,504 times
It seems that too much popular music these days is aimed at young teens, girls escpecially. It's a big reason I think why "Sex Appeal" is so common in music these days. If you can find someone with a cute face,fit body and give them a song with lyrcis like "I love ya and want ya" in it, chances are, all the tweens will fall in love with it, no matter how dull, or uncreative, or even how untalented the artists themselves are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music