Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 07:12 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,816,775 times

Advertisements

How about Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan.............TODAY?

Kenny Wayne Shepherd - Cincinnati 2011 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 07:14 PM

Kenny Wayne Shepherd- True Lies Fender Frontline Live - YouTube

Old 10-15-2012, 09:46 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko View Post
It seems like literally nothing is going on in music right now. Indie is more or less dead, I mean Mumford and Sons, Foster the People, even M83 is just as boring and lacking in originality as Rihanna and Katy Perry. It seems like all music today is either aimed at teenage girls/small children or rooted in nostalgia and trying to palely imitate the classics.

I even miss 90's music now, and I hate the 90's. Say what you want about the Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys, at least they were a phenomena. Even 2005 had noticeably more going on. I've heard people say 'who's Carly Rae Jepsen', seriously. NOBODY aside from 13-17 year old girls and hipsters are paying attention to modern music. Because it's so boring and breaks no ground.

No way are those artists lacking in creativity or originality as the pop artists you referenced.

Spice Girls & Backstreet Boys! LOL. I'd say Beiber & those direction boys () are a phenomena. There'll always be that kind of music, fascinating the tweens.

I agree that on mainstream music, its pretty boring....however its easier, more than ever to find new, interesting music. It just means, rather than being told what to like.... people are being forced to find it themselves.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:57 PM

Godsmack - Speak - YouTube

Old 10-15-2012, 10:00 PM

Metallica - I Disappear [Official Music Video] - YouTube

Old 10-15-2012, 10:36 PM

BOB SEGER - ARE YOU - YouTube

Old 10-16-2012, 12:25 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
The day that music dies, it will be the end of civilization. May as well be robots when that happens.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:16 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,891,411 times
I think a lot of things died in about 1996-97, 98.

-Sports. Baseball got tainted after that. The NBA lost Jordan and has been diluted since then.

-TV declined. The decline of family tv....remember when 8 pm was a "family" hour. Even the original 90210 seems good now. They dealt with serious topics. Remember ABC's "TGIF"? Family matters, step by step?

Corny shows, but there was some wholesomeness to them.

96-98, music was about gone. Remember how big music videos were then? I remember, like Madonnas "take a bow". Videos like that were pretty revolutionary at the time. There was a lot of care and artistry taken in videos.

After the late 90's, hip hop and r&b seem dead. Guys use to rap about regular stuff, now its all clubs, girls, cars. You had the teen pop explosion....Christina Ag, Britney. The late 90's were the tail end of...the gin blossoms. Who sounds like that now?

Where did all the female artists of the 90's go....Sheryl Crow, Alanis Morissette, Sarah McLachlan, Jewel. Plus Whitney, Mariah, TLC. They sold a massive amount of albums.

I've read music sales have been cut in half from 1999-2010. Also, I think people are forced to find things themselves now. They were lead or directed for pretty much 30-40 years....from 1960 to the 90's. Its hard to change that in only 5 or 7 years.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:34 AM

603 posts, read 967,028 times
I think it's rather stale in the US. But, I agree, I think sports died once I saw NBA players going on strike for another million, and comparing themselves to slaves. That's...a new low. An insult to slaves, really. That pretty much killed it for me, right there. Also, hate to say it but I've heard from many 'in the industry' friend or friend of friends, and also tv interviews, they (producers) just won't put up the money anymore because it'll get leaked and shared and they get no return.

*sigh* Yes, yes, HUGE dramatic argument about how they're making more money than ever.
That's just what I heard...

Not sure how many new albums are produced in the US yearly, but with books? It's like 300,000 something.
A YEAR. So there's GOTTA be something out there that piques yr interest.

To the OP:
A 'phenomenon'? That doesn't mean doodley squat as far as 'real', original music goes for me...
Also, sometimes, Music Is Rotted One Note.
I've been laid up in bed watching every GD 'good' movie from the last ten years. They now bore me to tears.
10 minutes in and I feel nauseous. Still, there are a few that break the mold, but it's all the same story.
Even Johnny Lennon, back in the 60's said it's all been done, as his wife was inventing 'New Wave' lol.
But...There's good stuff out there, I think it's just lost in the flotsam, imho.
Lesse, what have I heard recently, that pricked my ears...
Hmmm...most of what has been played so far in this thread is 'Rock'. (?) To me the new, innovative stuff isn't 'Rock'.
Well, or 'Rock' with Baroque, DnB, IDM, etc, classical mixed in. Electronica is the new innovation.
Yes, hold yr children close. Just like the electric guitar...people usually hate it or love it.

Igorrr - Tendon - YouTube

Edit:
Probably not new to you but new to me, as far as 'Rock' goes:
[youtube]gKkn-YjYmCA[//youtube]

As far as other, 'brand new' things...you'll have to look to modern classical, (or) outsider music:

Maybe it's time for a change of genre??

P.S.
lol, I know you'll hate all these...but still..had to try.

Last edited by FaceInTheCrowd; 10-16-2012 at 08:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music