Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:12 PM

23,615 posts, read 70,512,920 times

Advertisements

I've seen a tremendous amount of change in theatres, and expect to see more.

Give it your best guess- what will theatres be like in ten years, and then further in the future, twenty years from now.

Will 3D still be around

Will everything be digital

Will there be theatres at all

Will there be "bootleg" or "underground" theatres that aren't authorized to show movies, but do so anyway

If there are theatres, what will the ticket prices be

Will you even bother going to a theatre if you can get instant access to current film product
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 09:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,280,946 times
The bottom line is with the advent of high-resolution home entertainment systems, it's going to take more than just offering the same content on a larger screen to draw people out of their living rooms and into the theaters. To that end, I think you're starting to see the next evolution in cinemas: you don't just go to see a movie, but rather the movie is part of a broader "night out" package where you dine and/or drink at the theater first and then go see the movie, or vice-versa. Cinemas with full-service bars are starting to crop up, and I've heard of at least a couple with full-service restaurants too.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:56 AM

750 posts, read 2,277,930 times
I just hope people will eventually just shut the hell up. Turn off the cell phone, get your kid in order and the actors in the film can't hear you, so stop talking to them.

But yeah 3D will stay around and all digital and popcorn will somehow go up in price.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:47 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,718,026 times
I think if someone is kicking your seat and doesn't stop they should be kicked out automatically and have to pay for your ticket.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:36 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,874,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea
Will everything be digital
Oh yes it sure is!!!!

I dont know how ppl can stand the sound in theaters now,ITS HORRIBLE!!!!!!! -- I walk into a theater main room (Where drinks are sold) JUST TO GET A SODA and I can hear the sounds coming from the different theaters..... TERRIBLE!!!!!

I will not ever go into an actual theater again,I DONT WANNA BE SUBJECTED TO THAT!!

Old 04-29-2016, 12:51 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,081,574 times
The best thing they could do, (that wont happen) would be to install a signal jammer.

I don't go for the food, I can do without spending $7 on a bag of popcorn. I usually eat before a movie if I all ready know I'm going to be occupied for hours. I go because I want an experience. The screen and sounds are just a near sensory overload.

I could really go for the theaters having armrest headphone plug-ins like airplanes do. Bring your own headset, adjust your own volume, It wouldn't help with the light from the cell phone screens, but you probably wouldn't even hear anyone's phone or them chewing on popcorn.

I think adult theaters are going to get a major upgrade first. Something like private personalized virtual reality.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:22 PM

22,934 posts, read 28,318,079 times
3D will still be around, but it will still be a gimmick, a solution in search of a problem.

Nearly all theaters will be digital in the very near future.

Theaters in our area seem to be surviving by being more than just a traditional theater. Smitty's not only shows all current movies, but they have special nights (with free admission) of old movies. They also offer recliner seating, tables, and a full service restaurant.

I suspect we'll see a lot more of that. Theaters will have to become more than just theaters in order to stay in business.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:24 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,120,732 times
I rather think cinemas will decline in numbers, primarily due to virtual reality devices that will finally become the next Big Thing in home entertainment technology.

Imagine interactive films: to be immersed within the film itself, all in the comfort of your own home!

I know VR has been around for about 30 years, with many false dawns; but I rather think it will become a huge threat to cinema as we know it; and in 10 or 20 years time, cinemas will no longer attract the same vast audiences as it does today.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:32 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,338,878 times
I don't see movie theaters lasting much longer. I'm honestly shocked there hasn't been a decline already. Ticket prices have gone through the roof, the seating is often uncomfortable or crowded, no guarantee others will be quiet and respectful. I don't know why people still go.

I'd love to see movie premiers go digital "OnDemand" I'd pay $15-20 for a new release I can watch in my living room over a movie theater any day.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:21 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,152,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPaul View Post
I just hope people will eventually just shut the hell up. Turn off the cell phone, get your kid in order and the actors in the film can't hear you, so stop talking to them.

But yeah 3D will stay around and all digital and popcorn will somehow go up in price.
Could not agree more. I enjoy going to the theater but dread having to not be able to enjoy the film because of the above. Going to early shows on weedays can help avoid this sometimes.

As for the theaters, The 4D format is the next thing. Moving seats, simulation of rain etc. Not sure if this will last, As prices will go up and one has to wonder where the line is drawn. How much is too much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies