Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 03:35 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,265,758 times

Advertisements

for me, these top three come to mind:

3. The Sixth Sense: Rave reviews by critics and fans alike for what was a really dull, boring movie. and the "big payoff" at the end was totally not worth sitting through the rest. i even saw it a second time to make sure that i wasnt missing something, and nope - just as teadious the second time. while, in a way it is practically the same movie, i think Unbreakable was a lot better.

2. The 300: i dont know how it was heralded by critics, but much to my embarrassment, this formulaic CGI-fest is very popular among men in my age group. this movie was horrible.

1. The Dark Knight: heralded by critics and audiences. huh? okay, i get it. Heath Ledger died, and it's a tradgedy. and you know what else - he was damn good as The Joker in this film. damn good. but that doesnt change the fact that everything about this movie is an embarassment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 04:02 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,054,374 times
I enjoyed all of the movies you listed, but The Sixth Sense plot had already been done before in Carnival of Souls.

Some 2000's movies that I could not get too excited about:

Lost in Translation ~ I get the emptiness, etc, but the characters did not jell for me

The Departed ~ stupid ending, the characters felt like cardboard to me

The Spiderman movies (I never bothered to see #3) ~ I can handle violence, but this stuff is so ugly

Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3 ~ occasionally fun, but rather tired (and mercenary)

Old 09-28-2009, 05:37 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,691,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
for me, these top three come to mind:

3. The Sixth Sense: Rave reviews by critics and fans alike for what was a really dull, boring movie. and the "big payoff" at the end was totally not worth sitting through the rest. i even saw it a second time to make sure that i wasnt missing something, and nope - just as teadious the second time. while, in a way it is practically the same movie, i think Unbreakable was a lot better.

2. The 300: i dont know how it was heralded by critics, but much to my embarrassment, this formulaic CGI-fest is very popular among men in my age group. this movie was horrible.

1. The Dark Knight: heralded by critics and audiences. huh? okay, i get it. Heath Ledger died, and it's a tradgedy. and you know what else - he was damn good as The Joker in this film. damn good. but that doesnt change the fact that everything about this movie is an embarassment.
I agree with you on 300 but Dark Knight was awesome

Old 09-28-2009, 07:01 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,627,789 times
Slumdog Millionare

Old 09-28-2009, 08:50 AM

10,177 posts, read 20,802,195 times
The Hulk (first one)

Dark Knight - Heath Ledger's performance was the only thing that made watching this worthwhile.

Righteous Kill (two great movie icons looked totally uninterested in this flop)

The new Star Wars trilogy

Crash

Little Miss Sunshine

Old 09-28-2009, 08:55 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,330,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
The Hulk (first one)

Dark Knight - Heath Ledger's performance was the only thing that made watching this worthwhile.

Righteous Kill (two great movie icons looked totally uninterested in this flop)

The new Star Wars trilogy

Crash

Little Miss Sunshine
Completely agree with this and also the OP's original list. I was totally disappointed by GL's recent Star Wars offerings. Bummed out by them really. Found a lot of the acting to be substandard, as well as some of the effects.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:45 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,482,053 times
Lost in Translation put me to sleep. And I thought The Ring was totally lame.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:42 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,265,758 times
Quote:
but that doesnt change the fact that everything about this movie is an embarassment.
i made a typo. i meant to say that everything else in TDK is an embarassment. meaning everything else besides Heath Ledgers' Joker.

i think in 5 or 10 years people will start to come around to the fact that TDK was a piece of crap.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:48 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,009,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I enjoyed all of the movies you listed, but The Sixth Sense plot had already been done before in Carnival of Souls.

Some 2000's movies that I could not get too excited about:

Lost in Translation ~ I get the emptiness, etc, but the characters did not jell for me

The Departed ~ stupid ending, the characters felt like cardboard to me

The Spiderman movies (I never bothered to see #3) ~ I can handle violence, but this stuff is so ugly

Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3 ~ occasionally fun, but rather tired (and mercenary)

I completely agree with this list except for Pirates which I have never seen.

I thought the Departed was predictable as hell and still cannot figure out why people like it so much.

I strongly disagree with the original poster's movies. All three movies were very good to great. If you think 300 was bad, you are looking too far into it. It is meant to the visually stunning, thats it. If you seek more, you will be disappointed.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:49 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,009,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
i made a typo. i meant to say that everything else in TDK is an embarassment. meaning everything else besides Heath Ledgers' Joker.

i think in 5 or 10 years people will start to come around to the fact that TDK was a piece of crap.

Nope, I am seen it 5 times and still like it as much as I originally saw it. Great film from start to finish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies