Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:19 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,691,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I thought this movie was excellent, done in the classic style of an Albert Hitchcock movie or production...

This movie was like fine wine of horror, verses cheap beer...

It felt like a puzzle, that the viewers had to kind of put together...

To me, there was nothing not to like about this film...

It really played on peoples fear of tight spaces, darkness and elevators...

I think the movie was a marvel...

But not everyone is cultivated to appreciate such...
I knew who it was right away because a large portion of movies follow the same formula. Whoever is least likely mentally or physically capable of doing the crime always winds up being the culprit. In this case it was the old lady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 01:29 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,286,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
I knew who it was right away because a large portion of movies follow the same formula. Whoever is least likely mentally or physically capable of doing the crime always winds up being the culprit. In this case it was the old lady.
Spoiler tag please...

Old 02-08-2011, 01:33 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,211,521 times
Original version of Let the Right One In was pretty good. I also liked Paranormal Activity.

Movie scared me the most ever was the orig Salem's Lot, I was a little kid and that scene where that boy came floating up outside the window had me not looking out my bedroom window for about three years.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:43 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,850,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I haven't seen Devil...

I enjoyed the following M Night movies: Sixth Sense, Village, Signs, and Unbreakable.
It seems like ever since Lady in the Water (which was terrible and played out like something out of Dungeons and Dragons), his movies have been going downhill.

Saw another good horror movie last night: The Descent (2005). It is about some girls that go cave diving and end up in a scary situation. It is very shock-horror though, which I am not that big a fan of... but the situation itself and scenery of the cave is quite frightening.

Another good one to check out is: Frozen (2010). Things just get worse and worse for these young adults and you end up feeling pretty bad for them... This one is also very scene oriented (it all takes place on a ski lift).

Next, I'm interested in checking out Buried (2010).

You are never too old for horror movies!
I thought Frozen was very well done, though I wouldn't call it 'horror' per se, except perhaps psychologically. Being a tad claustrophobic I've not seen The Descent and am unlikely to see Sanctum either. Buried definitely sounds like something I won't see for the same reason lol

Old 02-11-2011, 08:11 PM

Just finished watching "Paranormal Activity 2." What a terrible movie, it was even worse than the first one. Nothing happened for 1 hour and 10 minutes, then stuff started happening-- but it was very minor things compared to the first one. I just about fell asleep watching it... The atmosphere didn't build, there was literally no suspense-- and almost everything was extremely predictable. This movie was just plain poorly made (just like the first one!).

What do people see in these Paranormal Activity movies?

I can't count the number of reviews where people say "Paranormal Activity, is sooo scary!" These people must be frightened of kids movies as well...

Last edited by h152cc2; 02-11-2011 at 08:21 PM..

Old 02-11-2011, 10:27 PM

239 posts, read 612,878 times
Quote:
Just finished watching "Paranormal Activity 2." What a terrible movie, it was even worse than the first one. Nothing happened for 1 hour and 10 minutes, then stuff started happening-- but it was very minor things compared to the first one. I just about fell asleep watching it... The atmosphere didn't build, there was literally no suspense-- and almost everything was extremely predictable. This movie was just plain poorly made (just like the first one!).

What do people see in these Paranormal Activity movies?

I can't count the number of reviews where people say "Paranormal Activity, is sooo scary!" These people must be frightened of kids movies as well...

I haven't seen the second one, so I can't comment on that, but I found the first one unsettling. I find very few horror movies frightening, let alone children's movies. I think it depends on personal fears. The thing that did it for me was that there was no soundtrack. It's not what I saw in the movie, bit what I heard (or didn't hear, in this case)! It made it seem real. And I hate silence. I'm one of those people who needs white noise when I sleep. Also, the characters -- annoying as they were -- seemed like real people to me. Average looking and neurotic, just like the rest of us.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:57 PM

1 posts, read 995 times
Default Watch Movies Online

I think not too old. Even people of about 40-50 also watch scary and horror movies. Horror movies are always different from other movies.

[url]http://www.watchmoviesonlineinfo.com/[/url]

[url]http://www.watchmoviesonline360.com/[/url]

Old 02-12-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegDrew View Post
I haven't seen the second one, so I can't comment on that, but I found the first one unsettling. I find very few horror movies frightening, let alone children's movies. I think it depends on personal fears. The thing that did it for me was that there was no soundtrack. It's not what I saw in the movie, bit what I heard (or didn't hear, in this case)! It made it seem real. And I hate silence. I'm one of those people who needs white noise when I sleep. Also, the characters -- annoying as they were -- seemed like real people to me. Average looking and neurotic, just like the rest of us.
Ok, so let me get this straight...

You enjoyed it and thought it was good because:

1. No Soundtrack
2. Someone in the background banged a pot or something and made quiet noises that were hard to notice...
3. You thought the characters were annoying and that made them seem real? So you thought the acting was poor so that made it a good movie?
4. You thought the characters were "average looking"... obviously you didn't see the chest on Katie... nothing "average" about that.

This movie was terrible-- and quite possibly one of the worst horror movies ever made. Definitely the most over-rated.

My wife saw this movie with me, and she thought it was boring as well! She gets scared of everything! I'm not trying to be rude in this post, it just upsets me that people view this crap as good.

Some good horror movies that have to do with homes to check out: Poltergeist, Amityville horror (1979), The Strangers

Old 02-12-2011, 12:09 PM

19,740 posts, read 20,296,959 times
Quote:

This movie was terrible-- and quite possibly one of the worst horror movies ever made. Definitely the most over-rated.

My wife saw this movie with me, and she thought it was boring as well! She gets scared of everything! I'm not trying to be rude in this post, it just upsets me that people view this crap as good.

I thought Paranormal Activity was boring as hell too. I felt like I was just waiting the whole time for something to happen, which never really did. In fact it was so unmemorable to me I forgot there was a sequel.

Anyone seen Dead Snow? (2009) This is hardcore!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxnloAzzNvA

Old 02-12-2011, 03:21 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,150,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I thought Paranormal Activity was boring as hell too. I felt like I was just waiting the whole time for something to happen, which never really did. In fact it was so unmemorable to me I forgot there was a sequel.

Anyone seen Dead Snow? (2009) This is hardcore!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxnloAzzNvA
Yes, Dead Snow, another example of a good non-American horror movie. Interesting attempts at subverting the horror genre. Definitely not what you'd expect to happen.

I can't listen to In the Hall of the Mountain King without thinking of this movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies