Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
G-Rated 0 0%
non G-Rated 5 38.46%
I like both 7 53.85%
Who is David Lynch?! 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 07:21 PM

5,017 posts, read 10,713,765 times

Advertisements

I have long been a fan of David Lynch's films (which probably makes me a bit off-center) but even I think that it is a little strange that he makes films that are almost X-rated or that are G-rated. So, I ask you, which David Lynch do you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 09:20 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,350,657 times
I actually prefer his G rated movies. His writing and directing in that genre of film seem to have more to say to me. Most of my favorite movies are not G rated. I'm not a purist of G rated movies but his appeal to me. I am also not a huge David Lynch fan but from time to time he comes out with a movie that is spectacular.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:36 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,937,437 times
I've never actually seen his G-rated films, but his other films are often borderline genius. It just depends who you talk to. It takes a special kind-of filmmaker to do something amazing within the confines of a G-rating. Like I said, I've never seen his G-rated films, so I don't know if he can pull it off or not, but I can only imagine how different they must be from the rest of his resume. When I want David Lynch, I want surrealist brilliance. Do his G-rated films fit in with the rest?

Old 07-21-2009, 01:35 PM

5,017 posts, read 10,713,765 times
His G-rated films include "The Straight Story." I had thought that "The Elephant Man" was also rated G (it was when I was growing up) but I just saw that it is now PG. Then there is a bunch of unrated stuff (including "Eraserhead.")
TSS and TEM are two of my favorite films. But I also love his more graphic films, which are all rated R but which were considered nearly X-rated when I was growing up (it's very strange how they are rating films these days.)
I like all of Lynch's films but the less explicit stand out for me as his best work. Rather than bizarre, they are some of the most compassionate and touching films I have ever seen. Still different, but in a different way.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,054,374 times
I loved The Straight Story.
I also like Grendel's phrase "surrealist brilliance."
That about covers it for me. Half the time I don't know what Lynch is trying to say or do--but it sure is watchable.
Don't ever make the mistake I made: seeing Eraserhead while pregnant.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:16 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,937,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Don't ever make the mistake I made: seeing Eraserhead while pregnant.
Hahaha. That surely was a mistake! Another mistake is to watch Eraserhead for the first time by yourself at 4am. I can't imagine a weirder night.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:29 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,087,878 times
I've always been a fan of Lynch's work-with the exception of 'Eraserhead'. I found it incredibly boring.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:35 PM

251 posts, read 768,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I have long been a fan of David Lynch's films (which probably makes me a bit off-center) but even I think that it is a little strange that he makes films that are almost X-rated or that are G-rated. So, I ask you, which David Lynch do you prefer?
i think it's only natural for david lynch to explore the "undercurrents" of life and i think because of that, everything is fair game.

i don't think it's strange (but that probably because i'm a fan of his movies) because he shows it in a way that flows and at times, crucial to the story.

that.. or i'm just weird.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies