Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 10:17 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,913 times

Advertisements

Fiddler on the Roof. I have not watched this great classic in years. It is a great commentary on many things, but I especially enjoyed Topol's soliloquies with god, and not a very helpful god, either.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:03 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Lincoln. Worth seeing.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:19 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,927 times
After weeks recovering from food poisoning, flues & whatever else has ailed us since arriving in Denver, the SO & I wanted to spend Sat out & about, finally being able to walk upright, albeit more akin to Neanderthal man. Being geekazoids, we saw The Hobbit on the 16th St Mall. Loved it! Anyone familiar with LOTR will already know the story & love it. Same wonderful cinematography, creatures, fast pace, acting, plot. The actor playing the young Bilbo Baggins is wonderful... reminded me of Monty Python's Michael Palin, playing his character with a slightly understated humor, which was nice in breaking up the breakneck speed with which hostile creatures were flying out at one from the screen. Poor SO has nail marks in his arm... no, I wasn't a-scared.

3-hrs long, but honestly, it moved along at a sweeping pace & kept us on the edges of our seats. We both commented that it felt like 1-1/2 hrs. Being more organic eaters, we normally shun $$$, less than par movie food, but this time we went full out... got $25 in junk, snuggled in on an isle seat (with a super gigantic monster-sized soda, we thought we'd need it) & thoroughly enjoyed our time. In fact, it seemed over too soon!

Can't wait for the next part of the trilogy, Christmas 2013... bugger. 8* out of 5!

Note: We saw the 'regular' version. I wear glasses (bloody trifocals) & often get a headache from movie theatres (screens are so bloody large & the noise is often far too loud for me... I know, I'm a wimp), so shunned the 3D version. There were some younger children at the theatre who seemed a wee bit scared in parts... I think 3D would be a bit too much for them... too realistic & scary.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:04 AM

987 posts, read 1,386,427 times
"Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter" Better than I thought it would be!

Last edited by Art2ro; 12-17-2012 at 06:15 AM..

Old 12-17-2012, 10:22 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
I rented Red Lights, was better than I expected. That little "faith restoring" twist kinda annoyed me but still, it was an enjoyable flick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I LOVED this crazy movie! I am in the mood to watch it again. Totally unpredictable, and the acting was perfection. OMG that Brad Pitt character...but then, I don't know which actor was best cast, they were all so good in their parts.

Did you see Bandits? That movie reminds me of Burn After Reading. I thought it was really funny and well done as well.

Bandits (2001) - IMDb
Bandits was a good movie too but I liked "Burn After Reading" way better. Agree, Brad Pitt is super talented playing quirky/crazy characters, remember him in 12 Monkeys? Entire cast was great, from B. Pitt to J. Malkovich to R. Jenkins, even F. McDormand was really good and I really can't stand her looks and voice.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:57 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,291 times
Rain Man

Old 12-18-2012, 09:33 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Safety Not Guaranteed really cool Indie (?) movie.
Didn't know what to expect but I really enjoyed it!

Old 12-18-2012, 03:55 PM

126,279 posts, read 19,048,524 times
The Hobbit.....was long but pretty good

Old 12-21-2012, 10:10 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,927 times
The Words with Bradley Cooper, Jeremy Irons & Dennis Quaid. A wannabe writer finds a manuscript & passes it off as his own. It's a story within a story within a story, complete with flashbacks. Good premise, but, what happened to the movie?

Quaid, who I've always found creepy (not in an interesting Christopher Walken way... more in an eeuwww kind of way... & this is before his scary, Hulk-like plastic surgery) does the most bland voice over for the 1st 3rd of the film. Neither he or his voice are interesting enough to pull it off. He does live up to his full creepiness factor, however, which is an unpleasant negative in my book.

Cooper was just so-so, lacking in the normal boatloads of charisma he has onscreen. Even his appearance was bland & pasty, not really part of the role, from what I could gather. My strong impression is he didn't want to do this movie & it's quite noticeable.

Jeremy Irons was very good playing a doddery old man, although nothing spectacular & his character's motivation still hasn't come to me... ??? What the hobbit is this movie about?

The music was annoying & intrusive. The flow of the story was boring. The plot was sappy & Notebook-ish... (Disclaimer: I might be the only person in history to despise that awful movie, The Notebook).The ending doesn't tie up loose ends. One is still left with the question, 'What is the truth?" I'm hard pressed to find something to like here... nothing interesting about sets, design, cinematography, makeup (yep, I'm reachin' here)... I've got nothing.

I heard the reviews were awful & I just didn't believe it & wanted to see for myself. I hated this film. 1* out of 5 & that's just for the talent of the 2 actors in the initial flashbacks. If someone wants to take you to this film for a Christmas Day out & away from the company maddness... run for the hills like a lunatic, unless you're looking for a pricey nap in a cold, dark theatre.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:26 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,934 times
Jack Reacher...it was great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.