Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 11:10 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,760 times

Advertisements

I was finally able to see this movie after hearing about it for the past couple of years. I am aware of what occurred in Rwanda and am very sensitive about genocide in general. Some of my thoughts about the movie and the actual events. (I'd post this on IMDB, but to be honest, their message boards are overwhelmed with immature, clueless tards - half the posts there are deleted by admin...I don't even bother anymore.)

First run. Brought the movie to work, where we are permitted to watch movies on a projector after hours and during quiet times. I watch 5-10 movies per week like this. We put off watching Hotel Rwanda for 2 days because none of us felt like crying. The whole ignorance-is-bliss deal, you know. When we finally got around to watching it, I felt insulted and alone. Constant interruptions, stupid questions, not paying attention. Someone walked in, saw the movie, and said "Oh, I've seen this...Hotel-something." When we told her the name of it, she said "Yeah, I thought it was called Hotel Ramada". Everyone giggled, except me. It definitely proved the line in the movie where the US journalist said "people will watch this and say 'oh, that's sad', and then go back to eating their dinner." Halfway through the movie, another person said "I don't really get what's going on." If you've seen the movie, it's pretty obvious. Heard a lot of really dumb comments after the movie. Lots of blind ignorance.

Now I'm not saying "Oh, I could have done something" or anything heroic like that. Because obviously none of us could have prevented or stopped what occurred in a small nation in the middle of Africa. What I'm getting at is having the cognizance and respect to learn about the history of humankind - not giggle about its tragedies.

Second run. Brought the movie home and watched it in privacy. Cried. Did a bit of research about Rwanda. Learned about my world.

I realize the movie wasn't 100% accurate. But it was pretty close.

What the situation in Rwanda boils down to is that this could happen anywhere. It was the most primitive of massacres we have ever seen in modern times, but it happened. I'm no match for a majority gang of wackos with machetes, are you?

I don't lament the fact that foreign nationals (most of whom happened to be white) were removed and minimal assistance (um, none) was offered to Rwandan civilians. That's basic human nature - protect your own people. The fact that an internal conflict exacerbated to such a backward level is what bothers me. Sheeple fueled by insubstantial and racial propoganda is the problem.

Honestly, could you be armed with a gun or a machete and follow instructions to kill anyone who appeared to be of a certain class or group or religion or whatever, without discretion? I know I could not and would not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 11:14 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
I have it, I'm not sure I'll ever watch it.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I have it, I'm not sure I'll ever watch it.
I understand that. I've rented a few movies that I couldn't bring myself to watch. Really, the movie is not that horrible as compared to what really happened. I read a quote from the man the movie was based on and he said "in reality it was 1,000 worse". The hardest part for me was watching the nuns being separated from Rwandan orphans. Either the nuns left, or they stayed to die.

You should watch it and then research the true history.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
I understand that. I've rented a few movies that I couldn't bring myself to watch. Really, the movie is not that horrible as compared to what really happened. I read a quote from the man the movie was based on and he said "in reality it was 1,000 worse". The hardest part for me was watching the nuns being separated from Rwandan orphans. Either the nuns left, or they stayed to die.

You should watch it and then research the true history.
I think that's the problem, I realize before I sit down to watch it that the reality would be 1,000 times worse. It was enough to see the limited news stories and accounts from people at the time and the articles and interviews I've come across since.

I read this book, which had some truly horrendous accounts and with the limited exposure I have had, I keep pulling the DVD out of the cupboard, then putting it back.

Emergency Sex and Other Desperate Measures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll have another go at watching it now you've brought it up, thankfully with a dvd I can clutch the remote and stop it and walk away when necessary, although I suspect I do much better reading these things as opposed to viewing them. The words have impact enough, I'm not sure I'd cope very well with the visual in these circumstances.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:45 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
"Sometimes in April" and "Shooting Dogs" are two other films which deal with the subject matter at hand.

I was a journalism major, wanting to go into war correspondance (I have since changed my major) and had to take a course where we had to sit through hours of raw footage of such genocides as Rwanda, Sudan, Cambodia and the like. I will never forget the emotional and near-physical impact many of those images had on me, and they will be forever etched into my memory.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:05 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,962 times
This is a great movie and like "The Killing Fields" has not been seen, or understood by enough people. I really think that it should be shown in high schools and discussed in civics classes. Ahhh, probably hoping too much.

golfgod

Old 01-02-2009, 06:16 PM

I have seen The Killing Fields. Another tragedy.

When I was in 4th or 5th grade, a local woman (this was in suburban Utah, of all places) had adopted or sponsored some Cambodian children and proceeded to write a book about the genocide titled "To Destroy You Is No Loss". Those words have stuck with me ever since, though I don't think I ever read the book.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:40 PM

402 posts, read 853,119 times
Default yeah

I personally think this is one of the top 5 movies ever. The movie itself is great, and the truth behind it is stunning. I don't see how people don't take it seriously (like one guy looking through my movies and saying that "that one was stupid, you should throw it out"). Even if for whatever reason you don't like the movie, you should at least respect the situation and understand the history.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
This is a great movie and like "The Killing Fields" has not been seen, or understood by enough people. I really think that it should be shown in high schools and discussed in civics classes. Ahhh, probably hoping too much.

golfgod
Actually The Killing Fields was required viewing in one of my classes in High School. Can't remember which, but I've never forgotten the movie.

I'm not sure if Hotel Rwanda has entered the school curriculum here but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:00 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
A wonderful movie and that story is one which is truly astonishing.

I was lucky enough to meet Paul Rusesabagina, the manager at the hotel in Oxford during a lecture given about the genocide and he was the most modest self effacing man one could imagine. A true Hero, one who with great bravery, courage and determination saved the lives of countless people. The world needs more of him , someone who risks his life for others without even seeing it as anything special. The term "hero" is nowadays used far too often but this man truly deserves the title. It was an immense privilege to be able to speak to Him and I shall never forget it.

"The Killings Fields" was another fantastic movie and I would also add "Cry Freedom" to that list of must see movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies