Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bogart vs. Gable
Bogart 31 63.27%
Gable 18 36.73%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 08:58 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Bogart is an icon.
Why, because he looks good in a fedora and trenchcoat?
Quote:
Gable was the guy with big ears in Gone With the Wind.
Gable brought much-needed cynicism and emotional resonance to his role as Rhett Butler, but he made other movies, such as It Happened One Night, Mutiny on the Bounty, and The Misfits, in which he displays verstility, maturity and depth. Gable worked at his craft, and it showed. As Bluesbabe says, his acting improved with time.
I love Bogie; he too made some fine films, though I think both Casablanca and The African Queen were overrated. Bogart leaned toward darker characters, noir types.Treasure of Sierra Madre was one of his best, it was a plum role.
"We don't need no stinkin' badges."
I dunno, I suppose we are comparing apples and oranges here.
Gable's and Bogart's contemporary, Spencer Tracy, was probably a better actor than both of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 09:02 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Why, because he looks good in a fedora and trenchcoat?
He was one of those actors that all you had to do was see his profile or hear him say two words, and you immediately knew who he was. That's an icon.

Clark Gable, talented as he might have been, just didn't have that. Clint Eastwood has it. Marlon Brando had it. Cary Grant. And Harrison Ford is almost there, if he'd start picking better roles again.

Quote:
Treasure of Sierra Madre was one of his best, it was a plum role.
Yep. Certainly one of my favorites.

Quote:
Gable's and Bogart's contemporary, Spencer Tracy, was probably a better actor than both of them.
Agreed.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:50 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,744,978 times
Whatever "it" is Gable evidently had more of it at the time he and Bogie were actually working given their popularity.

I think Gable had a wider range, hard to imagine Bogie in Across the Wide Missouri, Run Silent Run Deep, Mogambo or Strange Cargo.

And at least Gable worked with Ford once, Bogie didn't.

Casablanca is possibly the worst picture that has a good reputation. It's almost as bad as High Noon.

I think Bogie's best picture was High Sierra. The best picture he was in was Angels with Dirty Faces but of course that's Cagney's picture.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:43 AM

13 posts, read 30,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Whatever "it" is Gable evidently had more of it at the time he and Bogie were actually working given their popularity.

I think Gable had a wider range, hard to imagine Bogie in Across the Wide Missouri, Run Silent Run Deep, Mogambo or Strange Cargo.

And at least Gable worked with Ford once, Bogie didn't.

Casablanca is possibly the worst picture that has a good reputation. It's almost as bad as High Noon.

I think Bogie's best picture was High Sierra. The best picture he was in was Angels with Dirty Faces but of course that's Cagney's picture.
No disrespect intended, but I totally disagree with your assessment of CASABLANCA and HIGH NOON.

It's also interesting that, in AFI's poll of the Greatest Stars (or whatever it was called) a few years back, Bogart was #1 and Gable was #7.

In any event, you did make one factual error. John Ford directed Bogart and Spencer Tracy in UP THE RIVER.

Hope we can continue this dialogue.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:21 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,744,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druxy View Post
In any event, you did make one factual error. John Ford directed Bogart and Spencer Tracy in UP THE RIVER.

Hope we can continue this dialogue.

You got me good! (slapping forehead) And I watched that picture recently too when I bought that big John Ford at Fox DVD boxset.

Best Regards

Old 01-01-2009, 12:24 PM

616 posts, read 1,162,104 times
Bogie, by a long shot.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:39 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
He was one of those actors that all you had to do was see his profile or hear him say two words, and you immediately knew who he was. That's an icon.

Clark Gable, talented as he might have been, just didn't have that.
I disagree, he was not called the King for nothing, but we'll just leave it at that.
These two men were so different. I guess I just don't have anything more to say about it.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:20 PM

13 posts, read 30,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You got me good! (slapping forehead) And I watched that picture recently too when I bought that big John Ford at Fox DVD boxset.

Best Regards
Too bad that Fox didn't have a better print to work from.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:08 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,898,300 times
Well Bogie might be "the man" for many movies fans but I know who I'd prefer to watch and that would be Gable.

**shrug** Perhaps it was because I had enough grumpy old men around me growing up and he just seemed like another to me, Bogie that is.

There was such a presence about Gable, he would draw you in to his spell.

Whenever I saw Bogie, I was always aware I was watching Bogie, so to me, he wasn't inhabiting the characters very well. A really great actor will make you forget who they are and draw you in to the story seemlessly.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:02 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,827,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager
Humphrey Bogart is one of my favorite actors.
I agree........ I first saw him last year in CASABLANCA .. Then I got THE AFRICAN QUEEN and then "Maltese Falcon"

I LOVE HIS VOICE!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies