Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 08:12 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,042,932 times

Advertisements

There are a couple of actors and actresses that I always look for.
They don't seem to have made it Big, haven't won any Oscars, though they, to my mind, always turn in a solid, often masterful performance.
Some of my faves:
Gillian Anderson: Bleak House, A C o c k and Bull Story, Last King of Scotland
Patricia Clarkson:: Pieces of April, Good Night and Good Luck
Jeff Bridges: Fearless, The Door in the Floor, Big Lebowski, Last Picture Show
Gary Oldman: Immortal Beloved, Sid and Nancy
Tim Roth: Rob Roy, Pulp Fiction,Reservoir Dogs

Anyone out there have their own underrated favorites they look for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 09:31 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,750,808 times
I will agree with you on Tim Roth. Ever see the movie, Captives? Great great great. He's one of those, "you mean he's not American?" actors.

I'll put Val Kilmer in there too. If you ever see Wonderland ... wow, what a performance. I guess he's very difficult to work with, so that may be the problem.

Montgomery Clift. No need to explain. He's not of "today", but he's still overlooked.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:55 AM

702 posts, read 2,526,306 times
The cast of Six Feet Under...maybe it was just that the writers and producers of the show were hela talented, but I also think the acting in it was excellent.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:37 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,682,080 times
I gotta agree with Six Feet Under. What a fantastic show...I watch the reruns on Bravo religiously...even though they show them like there's no tomorrow sometimes, I never tire of them

Francis Conroy is a great actress...I'm not familiar with her outside of the series, but I was channel surfing yesterday and saw her in some movie that looked like it had something to do with a military academy or something...

Old 02-27-2007, 02:40 AM

702 posts, read 2,526,306 times
How bout the series finale??? Oh my god...best final episode of any show ever! It was amazingly thought-provoking. It still gives me goose bumps just thinking about. The actors in Six Feet Under were excellent, each one had that slight darkness that we all have, and it was neat to be able to see into someone else's private thoughts and feelings that humans keep locked inside. I would love for HBO to revive it one day...think of the wording - to revive a show about death...there are all kinds of possiblities.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:23 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,750,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
How bout the series finale??? Oh my god...best final episode of any show ever! It was amazingly thought-provoking. It still gives me goose bumps just thinking about. The actors in Six Feet Under were excellent, each one had that slight darkness that we all have, and it was neat to be able to see into someone else's private thoughts and feelings that humans keep locked inside. I would love for HBO to revive it one day...think of the wording - to revive a show about death...there are all kinds of possiblities.
The last 10 minutes of SFO was the best in television ever. Talk about a perfect ending! No strings left dangling on that one.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:44 AM

2,303 posts, read 5,682,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
Yeah, I loved the finale...I can't wait for it to run on Bravo. I think Season 5 is about to start airing really soon. I'm a late bloomer--I didn't get into Six Feet Under until like last year. Me and the SO started going to Blockbuster to rent seasons at a time and I was hooked...my favorite episode is the Calling All Angels episode...I don't know why but I was just hooked to it!

Old 02-27-2007, 02:20 PM

49 posts, read 307,214 times
I really like....
* Kirsten Bell [from Veronica Mars]. I'm still annoyed that they haven't given her an Emmy nomination yet!
* Laurie Metcalf. Liked her Roseanne and enjoyed her performance on Desperate Housewives before they killed her off.
* Dakota Fanning. She's in a lot of good movies and worked with a lot of big names but has yet to receive an Emmy/Golden Globe/ Oscar nomination!

Old 02-27-2007, 04:50 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,646,233 times
Ralph Fiennes is a great actor, not seen much today.

Angela Lansbury older actress, also not seen much anymore.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:59 AM

22,930 posts, read 28,302,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Anyone out there have their own underrated favorites they look for?
Greg Kinnear. Not really a "star" yet, but if you look at the guy's track record, he's a brilliant actor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies