Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 08:17 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,373,595 times

Advertisements

I recently rewatched Blazing Saddles and realized while as funny as ever to me, that movie could never be made today. One politically incorrect joke and racial slur after another.

It got me thinking of other old movies that could not be made today.Here's a couple:

Zulu. A brigade of vastly out numbered British colonial soldiers spend a whole film fighting off a large well disciplined tribe of Zulu warriors. A movie about white soldiers killing a bunch of African natives and looking heroic doing it? Nope. Couldn't be done today.

The Naked Prey. A white man is stripped naked by a tribe and chased across the African savanna like a hunted animal. Uh no. Plays to too many racial stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 10:18 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Seeing Blazing Saddles on tv just infuriates me. The movie is so cut up and bleeped that it makes no sense.

"Birth of a Nation" and "Tarzan" both had problems.

There are lots of films that couldn't or wouldn't be made today, but that is the fun of watching some of them.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:15 PM

485 posts, read 1,314,029 times
Now Voyager comes to mind!

Old 10-02-2008, 09:24 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,018,183 times
Ah, but Blazing Saddles pokes as way more fun at the idiot white guys...not the Blacks. The white morons who are dancing on the railroad tracks to "De Camp Town Ladies" has got to be a classic scene!

Old 10-02-2008, 10:10 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,188,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Ah, but Blazing Saddles pokes as way more fun at the idiot white guys...not the Blacks. The white morons who are dancing on the railroad tracks to "De Camp Town Ladies" has got to be a classic scene!
She get's it Another I'd like to see is Song of the South (1946). I believe I could enjoy this aware of the context of its time.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:31 PM

22,917 posts, read 28,260,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I recently rewatched Blazing Saddles and realized while as funny as ever to me, that movie could never be made today. One politically incorrect joke and racial slur after another.
If anyone were ever to consider remaking Blazing Saddles, I'd be the first to line up to shoot them, because there are some classics you just don't touch. Sure the film deals with racism, but the message and all of the jokes are speaking against racism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Zulu. A brigade of vastly out numbered British colonial soldiers spend a whole film fighting off a large well disciplined tribe of Zulu warriors. A movie about white soldiers killing a bunch of African natives and looking heroic doing it? Nope. Couldn't be done today.
Great movie, but I think it's about a lot more than white soldiers vs. black warriors. The subtext is very anti-Imperialist. The British soldiers are shown with sympathy as men of their time, but they're also shown as foreign occupiers. And the Zulu themselves are not portrayed as dumb savages, but as proud, honorable warriors. One of the greatest "war movies" ever made, and THE best battle sequences ever.

Song of the South... yeah, definitely. Way too politically incorrect.

Most of the great epics --- Ben Hur, Cleopatra, The Ten Commandments, Lawrence of Arabia, etc. --- could be made today, but couldn't be made nearly as well. All of those films shot on location, had huge sets, and extras sometimes numbering in the thousands. It would simply be too expensive a movie to make these days. It would be done all CGI, and be all the worse for it.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:29 PM

956 posts, read 3,001,911 times
Sixteen Candles

"There's a Chinese guy in your room named after a duck's dork."

Old 10-02-2008, 04:50 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,018,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
Sixteen Candles

"There's a Chinese guy in your room named after a duck's dork."
Ah, yes! Long Duck Dong!

Old 10-02-2008, 07:10 PM

956 posts, read 3,001,911 times
*gong*

"Whas happening hot stuff?"

Old 10-03-2008, 07:11 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,682,524 times
"No more yankie my wankie. The Donger need food."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies