Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 08:18 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Actually Gwyneth's version of Emma is not so bad, but I would still prefer the original with Kate Beckinsale as Emma.
Hmm, it appears they both came out in 1996?

Gwynnie's Emma

Kate's Emma
So Kate's was a television production? I'll see if Netflix has it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 11:31 AM

400 posts, read 794,850 times
I don't know about worst movie to win - I haven't seen them all (just went through that recently, I've seen 52 of 80) What blows me away are the ones that won over far better movies.

I haven't seen How Green Was My Valley, but it won the same year Citizen Kane came out - that's a travesty!! My Fair Lady must have been pretty good to win over Becket and Dr. Strangelove. Ordinary People over Raging Bull? Ordinary People is another movie I didn't see, but it couldn't possibly be better than Raging Bull.

Rocky was an entertaining movie but there is no way in hell it was better than Taxi Driver.

Kramer vs Kramer over Apocalypse Now?

Terms of Endearment over all of the other nominated films? I hate that movie - probably the most unabashedly manipulative movie ever made.

Forrest Gump over Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption? I know a lot of people love Forrest Gump but I just can't see it.

The English Patient over Fargo?

Shakespeare in Love over all of the other nominated films? It was an okay movie, but c'mon - it was better that Saving Private Ryan, Life is Beautiful, Elizabeth and The Thin Red Line? Methinks not.

Crash over Brokeback Mountain? Even though I'm not a big fan of Brokeback Mountain (No, not for that reason - I thought it was poorly paced and somewhat implausible at parts), it was a much better film than Crash and, not that this is reason enough, much more ground breaking.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:42 AM

8,804 posts, read 10,243,553 times
Lord of the Rings.... That movie is so boring and long and confusing and...oh I'll just stop right there. My vote would have gone to "Pirates"

My mom loves Out of Africa but I couldnt really get into it. Buth then I cant remember what else came out that year other than Rocky 4. Love the soundtrack though

Old 06-27-2008, 11:52 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano19606 View Post

I haven't seen How Green Was My Valley, but it won the same year Citizen Kane came out - that's a travesty!!
That's a pretty damned bold thing to say. How Green Was My Valley is a damned good picture and while one can make an argument for Kane to use the term "travesty" betrays a serious lack of knowledge and taste. And on top of it you never even saw the picture?!!?

By the way, "Valley" was made by the director Welles said had the greatest influence on him, John Ford.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 06-27-2008 at 12:19 PM..

Old 06-27-2008, 12:45 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I can't rep you again so soon, so let me highlight this beauty;

So I take it you didn't love her role in Shallow Hal?

Didn't see Brokeback. Didn't see Chariots of Fire. I would, on the other hand, watch reruns of Crash or Gump Fiction anyday. Remember that line? I'm gonna get Medieval on your buttox!
It was so much more effective coming out of Ving Rhame's mouth in Pulp fiction ... only he didn't use the term buttocks.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:25 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
That's a pretty damned bold thing to say. How Green Was My Valley is a damned good picture and while one can make an argument for Kane to use the term "travesty" betrays a serious lack of knowledge and taste. And on top of it you never even saw the picture?!!?

By the way, "Valley" was made by the director Welles said had the greatest influence on him, John Ford.
I had not seen "Valley" since I was a kid, and I rented it a few months ago.
It really was a good movie. (The book was good, too.)

This might be a bold thing to say, but I don't have a problem with Kramer vs Kramer winning over Apocalypse Now. ::ducks and runs::

Old 06-27-2008, 03:41 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post

This might be a bold thing to say, but I don't have a problem with Kramer vs Kramer winning over Apocalypse Now. ::ducks and runs::

I think reruns of Bat Masterson are better than Apocalypse Now; what a piece of overwrought, pompous, superficially profound and boring drivel.

When somebody tells me it's a great picture I roll my eyes and say to myself "Oh Christ, another one of these guys."

Old 06-27-2008, 03:44 PM

719 posts, read 2,618,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Um, Sockeye, ET did not win Best Picture. It won a couple Oscars, but not for Best Picture. That honor went to Ghandi.
Spielberg movies do tend to be on the sentimental side. I actually liked ET, but I can understand how some people might see it as being manipulative.
Thanks for the clarification, and thats good to know. Ghandi was a powerfully inspirational film. Certainly more "substance" there than ET. I'll remember to Google more often from now on.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:09 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,699,070 times
Although I loved several of the musical numbers in the movie, "Gigi" I really don't understand the oscar nod.

Yes, "Thank Heaven for little girls!" But I wouldn't thank heaven for that movie!!!

Old 06-28-2008, 06:08 AM

18,014 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
It was so much more effective coming out of Ving Rhame's mouth in Pulp fiction ... only he didn't use the term buttocks.
Well if you've ever seen the parody that mixes "Pulp Fiction" with "Forest Gump", you get "Gump Fiction" like I said... Keep up, Gurl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtom29
betrays a serious lack of knowledge and taste. And on top of it you never even saw the picture?!!?
Harsh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies