Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:55 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,698,824 times

Advertisements

Taxi Driver!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 09:04 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,031,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Wow.
Shakespeare in Love, so literate yet so funny, is one of my most favorite movies, with its countless inside jokes, the play within a play, and the soundtrack.
If it has Gwyneth Paltrow in it, I can't watch it ... I mean, I just can't. She can't even submerge herself enough in a character to make me believe that isn't her on the screen. Something about her ... I dunno. I'd rather stick a lit match up my nose to burn out the hairs than see her on the screen

I love most of the Jane Austen movies - one of my favorites being the little-seen version of "Persuasion" with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds (how in the world is his first name pronounced?).
Sophie Thompson, Emma's sister, also stars and is a hoot ("Are you coming in, Henrietta, or is my cottage insufficiently grand for you? " Oh, boy, someone slap her!).
Corin Redgrave (brother to Lynn and Vanessa) steals every scene he's in ("I strongly object to the Navy. It brings people of obscure birth into undue distinction and it cuts up a man's youth and vigor most horribly! ").

I haven't seen "Emma" and don't know that I'll ever be able to. I saw a trailer for the Gwyneth Paltrow version and wailed in dismay. The lilted character; the arched tone! Aaaaach! If I can bleach my brain to dispel even the brief view of what I saw, maybe I can watch an earlier incarnation of the book. IMDB lists several.

Last edited by silverwing; 06-26-2008 at 09:16 PM..

Old 06-27-2008, 12:24 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,205 times
No Country for Old Men...what the h*ll?

Old 06-27-2008, 04:57 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
If it has Gwyneth Paltrow in it, I can't watch it ... I mean, I just can't.
Sounds like Paltrow is someone you love to hate.
I am somewhat the same with Catherine Zeta-Jones, but she hasn't been in anything decent since Traffic (a movie I had mixed feelings about) so I don't feel I'm missing out.
Quote:
I haven't seen "Emma" and don't know that I'll ever be able to..
That's too bad. Emma, like Shakespeare in Love, was well put-together--and had Sophie Thompson (along with the divine Jeremy Northam).

Old 06-27-2008, 05:22 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Agreed...whenever I watch a 'blockbuster' like SIL, I always think of what it would been like to produce it 50 or 60 years before.
It would not have been written 50 or 60 years before.
Certainly it is a hark back to 1930's screwball comedy (which itself probably goes back to Shakespeare's comic plays), but even the best of those films from yesteryear were not as full of historical, topical and literary references as SIP.
Marc Norman and Tom Stoppard's screenplay is incomparable; unique.
Judi Dench's 8 minutes on the screen were certainly enjoyable, but I respectfully disagree that she propped up the ensemble cast.

I guess it's all in the qualities you do or don't appreciate about a film.
Back in 2002, I just could not get all that excited about Chicago, the movie that won Best Picture.
What should have won? Gangs of New York was brilliant, but flawed, The Pianist was well-made, but one long downer, as was The Hours.
That leaves us Lord of the Rings, the Two Towers, which some find brilliant, while others are left either yawning or giggling at inappropriate moments.
It's all rather subjective.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:26 AM

602 posts, read 1,962,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
ET - there, I said it. Too many drippy cliches.
OH, the hate I have for "ET" could light a city. Craptacular, that flick.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:10 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,723,787 times
I felt the same way about Gwennie until I saw Sylvia ... wow, she really immersed herself into that role. Who knew she had it in her?? Other than that, she ruined the movie, Sliding Doors ... could have been so good! Oh that accent ... or lack thereof. Why why why???

Old 06-27-2008, 06:35 AM

18,009 posts, read 27,453,889 times
I can't rep you again so soon, so let me highlight this beauty;

Quote:
... Something about her ... I dunno. I'd rather stick a lit match up my nose to burn out the hairs than see her on the screen

...Gwyneth Paltrow version and wailed in dismay. The lilted character; the arched tone! Aaaaach! If I can bleach my brain to dispel even the brief view of what I saw, maybe I can watch an earlier incarnation of the book.
So I take it you didn't love her role in Shallow Hal?

Didn't see Brokeback. Didn't see Chariots of Fire. I would, on the other hand, watch reruns of Crash or Gump Fiction anyday. Remember that line? I'm gonna get Medieval on your buttox!

Old 06-27-2008, 07:19 AM

1,129 posts, read 2,698,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I can't rep you again so soon, so let me highlight this beauty;

So I take it you didn't love her role in Shallow Hal?

Didn't see Brokeback. Didn't see Chariots of Fire. I would, on the other hand, watch reruns of Crash or Gump Fiction anyday. Remember that line? I'm gonna get Medieval on your buttox!

"Run Forest! Run!!!!!!!!!"

Old 06-27-2008, 07:38 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,570 times
Quote:
I haven't seen "Emma" and don't know that I'll ever be able to. I saw a trailer for the Gwyneth Paltrow version and wailed in dismay. The lilted character; the arched tone! Aaaaach! If I can bleach my brain to dispel even the brief view of what I saw, maybe I can watch an earlier incarnation of the book. IMDB lists several.

Actually Gwyneth's version of Emma is not so bad, but I would still prefer the original with Kate Beckinsale as Emma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies