Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 04:09 PM

23,643 posts, read 14,383,735 times

Advertisements

Settling down with a buck and a quarter bargain bin movie. Rather recent for it had an advertisement for a movie on Cheryl Strayed's book, Wild (well, slightly recent), and of course, the FBI warning against piracy.

Now this is a legal copy of the flick but in order for the dollar store to make a profit, they must have bought them wholesale at some price below a buck and a quarter.....and someone must have bought them before cheaper....etc etc etc.

I suppose way back in 1st run land, someone must have sold all the unbought at some low cost to get rid of stock, taking some loss, but in the grand play of things, to keep Oldie von Moldies like me supplied in movies, how do they do the cost so low.....and where is someone making their buck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2021, 07:26 PM

23,725 posts, read 71,198,436 times
Walk into a bookstore and see what Chelsea Clinton's book is going for.

When a run of a product is made, there is a magic number where cost per unit goes down. If there is an excess of product, and the sales have reached enough to make the break-even point, the rest goes for pennies on the dollar.

Old 12-24-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Walk into a bookstore and see what Chelsea Clinton's book is going for.

When a run of a product is made, there is a magic number where cost per unit goes down. If there is an excess of product, and the sales have reached enough to make the break-even point, the rest goes for pennies on the dollar.
Bookstores? They still have bookstores? The only ones I know about are half price and then, the price is already suspect.

Thank you! (for the question is answered)

Old 12-25-2021, 07:44 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,721,140 times
everyone in HK knows there is a place you can get movies on dvd cheap,think exchange rate $ 1.00 US = HK$ 7.8 .
There is also places in USA where they do not sell you the original,but just make a copy for you ,how much they charge depends on where you come from and how well you dress.

Old 12-25-2021, 07:45 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,721,140 times
Go to Ebay,there are plenty of dvds and vhs for sale,used and brand new ,

Old 12-25-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
everyone in HK knows there is a place you can get movies on dvd cheap,think exchange rate $ 1.00 US = HK$ 7.8 .
There is also places in USA where they do not sell you the original,but just make a copy for you ,how much they charge depends on where you come from and how well you dress.
Well, that might be piracy and I am a good witch, I don't participate in that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Go to Ebay,there are plenty of dvds and vhs for sale,used and brand new ,
Thank you, but two things. First, really can't beat my buck and a quarter rate I get from the dollar stores. Secondly, my standards are low for I don't need a particular movie but rather just one that fits the theme for that night and entertains.

Old 12-25-2021, 10:23 AM

729 posts, read 546,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Secondly, my standards are low for I don't need a particular movie but rather just one that fits the theme for that night and entertains.
Same here. They also make good background noise when doing household chores. Besides, any movie you have never seen before is a NEW movie. The bigger issue, as I see it however, is how much longer are DVDs and blu-rays gonna last? Everything seems to be going to streaming platforms with no options for physical media.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Old 12-25-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
Same here. They also make good background noise when doing household chores. Besides, any movie you have never seen before is a NEW movie. The bigger issue, as I see it however, is how much longer are DVDs and blu-rays gonna last? Everything seems to be going to streaming platforms with no options for physical media.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Well, hence the serious question about my library......will the unwatched outlast me. Further, there is the serious question of "I know I have seen this movie before....but I don't quite recall just what happened.".

As far as streaming goes, there lies two problems. First, there is no streaming out here at the ranch. Second, I am pretty far from being happy at the insistence of having to buy things over and over again because the media changes......to say nothing of having to trust someone to give me the complete movie and not having it edited.

Finally, I am of the old school.....and want things in my hot little hand.

Old 12-25-2021, 10:34 AM

752 posts, read 598,153 times
According to a report I read, Dollar Tree makes a 35% profit on sales, generally, from over 15,000 stores. Overstock. Most of their movies are so-so without big stars. I don't like them even for one dollar. Am disappointed that it is now 1.25.
They did not have to raise it 25%. But now they did, prices will rise further in the future, I think.

Old 12-25-2021, 11:08 AM

12,649 posts, read 8,421,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
According to a report I read, Dollar Tree makes a 35% profit on sales, generally, from over 15,000 stores. Overstock. Most of their movies are so-so without big stars. I don't like them even for one dollar. Am disappointed that it is now 1.25.
They did not have to raise it 25%. But now they did, prices will rise further in the future, I think.
Now that the psychological dollar barrier has been breached expect it to go to $1.99. I don't know how the 99 cent stores will be able to kept stocking anything with inflation devastating that marketing model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies