Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2021, 12:11 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,059,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
According to a report I read, Dollar Tree makes a 35% profit on sales, generally, from over 15,000 stores. Overstock. Most of their movies are so-so without big stars. I don't like them even for one dollar. Am disappointed that it is now 1.25.
They did not have to raise it 25%. But now they did, prices will rise further in the future, I think.
Well, A, B, and C.
A: As said, my quality standards are low, probably another thing I picked up from ARAMCO TV in the 70s. Then, the nightly movie has to be simple enough not to be shut down by the Saudi Arabia censors which often meant, B&W movies from the 50s and 40s....some 60 ones like A Man Could Get Killed.

With me, it needs to fit the theme of the night, at least as it is marketed (Robot Pilot was marketed as sci fi but was more romance, but oh well) and provide escapism. After that, it has done its job.

B: My cost quality standard is a bit more. I won't buy a movie over $10. As far as the price going up, well, these things happen. I picked up almost all the ST:TOS episodes in the first decade of this century or so for 2 quarters/VHS tape (and the 80s version, too!, so I was able to make DVD copies). What a haul! But.....half price VHS eventually went up to a buck and while still possible, not as easy to build the library.

But then again, when I got really into my library building, that was in the heydey when the DVDs were available because the stores were going out of business. They were CHEAP!

But like we say about ammo, the WW III supply is gone, and the prices are up and up and up.

C: I don't go in for big star or known flicks, anyhow. I prefer to go into a movie totally not knowing what it is about. Hence with From Dusk to Dawn, I was completely surprised to what happened. I had picked it up as an ultra violent crime flick. I also prefer not having the Big Stars because it seems that the flick becomes all about them and not so much about the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2021, 12:26 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,521,516 times
Big star movies are better,as they dont want to waste paying Tom Hanks $40 million dollars,leonardo $10 millions.How can they recoup that kind of salary ?

Old 12-25-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Big star movies are better,as they dont want to waste paying Tom Hanks $40 million dollars,leonardo $10 millions.How can they recoup that kind of salary ?
Well, my example to that is the quality between The Debt when it wasn't big stars and The Debt when it was Helen Mirren. The former was a pretty good spy story while the latter was, well, it was Helen Mirren.

For one thing, when it wasn't, it was much easier to feel the hurdles the female MOSSAD agent had to go through to capture the mark. When it was Helen Mirren, it was rather hard to accept that she would do such things. We talk about the element of disbelief in movies, of whether we can do it and accept that what we are being shown is a reality, that such is a mark of a good movie.

Well, when it is a big name star that everyone knows........that becomes rather hard to do.

Old 12-25-2021, 01:06 PM

Some big stars have past their glory days,Kevin Costner is doing AMZN and Netflix gigs,dont know if HARRISON Ford has retired?
Lawrece Olivier made some ****ty movies before he past away so he can leave more money to his children.
And where is Jessica Lange ?

Old 12-26-2021, 03:19 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,602,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Bookstores? They still have bookstores? The only ones I know about are half price and then, the price is already suspect.

Thank you! (for the question is answered)
Barnes & Noble still had over 600 stores in the Summer of 2020. There are still 11 stores in the Houston metro.

Books-A-Million still has 50 stores.

Neither are half price chains.

Old 12-26-2021, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Barnes & Noble still had over 600 stores in the Summer of 2020. There are still 11 stores in the Houston metro.

Neither are half price chains.
Oh yes....I faintly remember that Barnes one, back when I use to shop at......what did they call those places, a marsh?.........no, it was .... a mall? Books a million is a new one to me. Oh, well, I guess they are just one of those things in "the great cities of the east".

One "issue" I do find with the bargain flicks is that since they are almost entirely at random, except for the theme that night, is that if I didn't write it down, if I didn't still have the box out waiting to go back on the shelf, I often have a tough time remembering 2 days later what I watched. Of course, once I do recall the title, it all comes back to me.

I suppose it is because there is hardly anything to relate the flick to in memory that it quickly becomes lost. No familiar faces in the movie, the content of the movie was not looked forward to, it is not talked about afterwards, and there is a movie each and every night. It may even be that the scenes and stories get meshed together in that they happen night after night.

I suppose bargain bin flicks hit like dreams do. Intense in the moment, but fleeting once over.

Old 12-26-2021, 07:27 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 11 hours ago)

16,087 posts, read 21,206,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Walk into a bookstore and see what Chelsea Clinton's book is going for.

When a run of a product is made, there is a magic number where cost per unit goes down. If there is an excess of product, and the sales have reached enough to make the break-even point, the rest goes for pennies on the dollar.
Adding to that, once a product has set on the shelf without selling for x amount of time it's taking up valuable retail space that could be used for more profitable merchandise. At that point it actually cost more for a retailer to keep the mdse in the store than to dispose of it in some manner. An old manager once told me it was like paying rent on a house that was condemned, it's a dead loss.

Sometimes a part of the buyers agreement with the mfg is for 'guaranteed sales', meaning that remaining unsold mdse is either sent back to the mfg, or some other third party, and the items wind up in places like TJMaxx or dollar stores for resale. The original retailer gets a partial credit for the return, the mfg in turn sells it to another company for just over the credit price, and that company sells it to you for a minimal profit.

Old 12-26-2021, 08:46 AM

729 posts, read 535,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
In the mall nearest me Books-A-Million goes under the name BAM.

Old 12-26-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Now that the psychological dollar barrier has been breached expect it to go to $1.99. I don't know how the 99 cent stores will be able to kept stocking anything with inflation devastating that marketing model.
they will tell you the name of the store is 99 cents or dollar store,but it does not mean they are selling 99 cents or dollar store items

Old 12-26-2021, 07:30 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,551,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
...dont know if HARRISON Ford has retired?
Currently filming "Indiana Jones 5." Released "Call of the Wild" in 2020 and "The Rise of Skywalker" in 2019

Harrison Ford on IMDb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies