Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 12:24 PM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times

Advertisements

I was astonished to see how much movie admittance costs in NY ( per the WSS thread) I think they said it was almost $30 per ticket. We pay either $5.75 or $6 on tightwad Tuesdays, depending on which venue we go to. Local cinema has $8 senior tickets everyday for matinees, & cinema in next town over is $10.75 regular price. I only buy a water for $4 so it's a cheap night out for us, we eat at thome, I will make sure I have something easy to fix when we get in, or do a crockpot meal. We normally go to the shows around 3 or 4 pm.
So as we tend to only go the the discount Tuesday or matinees for senior, it is under $20 for 2 people & a drink.

The audience is always well behaved, no talking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 09:02 PM

1,602 posts, read 867,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I was astonished to see how much movie admittance costs in NY ( per the WSS thread) I think they said it was almost $30 per ticket. We pay either $5.75 or $6 on tightwad Tuesdays, depending on which venue we go to. Local cinema has $8 senior tickets everyday for matinees, & cinema in next town over is $10.75 regular price. I only buy a water for $4 so it's a cheap night out for us, we eat at thome, I will make sure I have something easy to fix when we get in, or do a crockpot meal. We normally go to the shows around 3 or 4 pm.
So as we tend to only go the the discount Tuesday or matinees for senior, it is under $20 for 2 people & a drink.

We've only seen one movie (Ghostbusters Afterlife) in a theater since December 2019 and it cost me roughly $13 a ticket for a matinee after fees and taxes. We dropped another $14 on stale popcorn and a Coke. I came away more sad than anything. This was a theater that was very well run and maintained prior to Covid, and it was dirty and running with a skeleton crew when we went. I've also NEVER had stale popcorn when visiting this chain, so that was disappointing too.

I have a great home theater in a dedicated bonus room and can rent a Blu Ray from the Redbox for $2. I make popcorn on the stove top with organic coconut oil and real butter, which I mastered during Covid. I may finally be done with going to the cinema, and I'm a film geek that actually worked in cinemas back in the day.

Old 12-15-2021, 06:20 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post

I followed up to that comment with the NYC price because I looked up that particular theater, and found that Friday night movies (including WSS) were $17.99. I'm not sure where the author of that article found their information.

In my area of NC, weekend evening movies (non-IMAX) usually run in the $12-14 range. Matiniees can be found for $8-10.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:43 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
A reason not to go to movies is the high price of snacks, and no good movies. Here, the nearest theater is still very reasonable at $13.01, seniors $10.49, the same for Friday night.

Old 12-15-2021, 09:16 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
I've never understood the need to buy snacks for movies. Sure it's nice, but certainly not necessary. Can people really not sit for 2-1/2 hours without eating or drinking?

Old 12-15-2021, 10:09 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
I haven't been to a movie since the Covid thing started. No idea how much they cost now.

Old 12-15-2021, 10:11 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I've never understood the need to buy snacks for movies. Sure it's nice, but certainly not necessary. Can people really not sit for 2-1/2 hours without eating or drinking?
Actually for some folks it IS neccessary. People might have a tickle in their throat or whatever - I cannot stand to be in a theater without something, even if it is just water, to drink.

And maybe people are, I dunno, hungry??

But the cost of snacks in the theater is no reason to not go. We have always taken our own in.

Old 12-15-2021, 10:13 AM

10,359 posts, read 7,990,783 times
About $12/ticket in the evenings (except for Tuesdays, when they are $5). $5-8/ticket during matinee hours. And our local art house theater ticket prices are only $5 if you are a member (but of course that means you have to pay an annual membership fee of $35 per individual or $70 per family).

Old 12-15-2021, 10:33 AM

2,985 posts, read 1,750,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Its part of the experience for some. Soda, popcorn and chocolate stars are fun to snack on while watching a movie.

Old 12-15-2021, 12:03 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Theatres have to pay rent and taxes. Is it any wonder that ticket prices vary, and more or less match the pricing in an area? What part of "business" is hard to understand?

Over the years, the general trend on ticket prices has been that they ROUGHLY follow minimum wage in an area. Earn $2/hr in 1970? A ticket was around $2 to $3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies