Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2021, 11:51 PM

18,576 posts, read 18,881,087 times

Advertisements

Watched ths movie last night.. but never got to who the main character really was or what she was actually up to. but good movie..great cinematography and wardrobe.. worth a watch.. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...irect-4121949/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2021, 12:02 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,442,206 times
It was OK.

Old 11-20-2021, 05:45 AM

18,576 posts, read 18,881,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
It was OK.
\I agree had potential but seemed to get stuck for ideas..

Old 11-21-2021, 09:17 AM

9,205 posts, read 6,356,198 times
The movie was sooooooo slooooooow. I gave up on it.

I an not recommending it.

Old 11-21-2021, 09:32 AM

51,205 posts, read 24,661,312 times
First, I am not into 'modern' black and white films. I started to watch this, and was disappointed in that. But what most bothered me was that in my view, while the woman's skin appeared to be very light, her facial features were almost instantly identifiable. I admit, I only watched the first 15 minutes, but it seemed quite obvious to me.

Old 11-27-2021, 09:58 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,527,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
First, I am not into 'modern' black and white films. I started to watch this, and was disappointed in that. But what most bothered me was that in my view, while the woman's skin appeared to be very light, her facial features were almost instantly identifiable. I admit, I only watched the first 15 minutes, but it seemed quite obvious to me.
I watched the whole movie and since you only watched the first 15 minutes, I'm not sure if you are talking about the woman who played Mrs. Redfield, or the one who played her friend Clare, who was married to the white racist man?

Do you think Jessica Szohr would have been better in the role?

It was an interesting movie, with a sad twist at the end. It wasn't mind blowing, but it wasn't terrible either.

My kids don't get how I can watch B&W movies. Some of the best movies made were done in B&W, and I grew up watching reruns of The Twilight Zone and I Love Lucy, so it doesn't bother me. One of my favorite "modern" movies is Stranger Than Paradise by Jim Jarmusch.

Old 11-28-2021, 09:52 AM

51,205 posts, read 24,661,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I watched the whole movie and since you only watched the first 15 minutes, I'm not sure if you are talking about the woman who played Mrs. Redfield, or the one who played her friend Clare, who was married to the white racist man?

Do you think Jessica Szohr would have been better in the role?

It was an interesting movie, with a sad twist at the end. It wasn't mind blowing, but it wasn't terrible either.

My kids don't get how I can watch B&W movies. Some of the best movies made were done in B&W, and I grew up watching reruns of The Twilight Zone and I Love Lucy, so it doesn't bother me. One of my favorite "modern" movies is Stranger Than Paradise by Jim Jarmusch.
Up until 1954, the majority of films were B&W, and I love films from the late 1930s through the early 1950s. They weren't in black and white for artistic reasons. They were in B&W because studios were well aware of -- at the time -- how much the cost of producing color prints would reduce their profits. When television came along and started really denting into studio profits, color movies were a way to lure people into the theaters, hence the rather sudden dominance of color films in 1954.

Both Ruth Negga and Tessa Thompson are beautiful women, but I wouldn't mistake either in terms of race/mixed-race.

The subject of "passing" isn't new to Hollywood. Two films that come to mind for me: "Pinky" starring Jeanne Crain (quite a risky role for a white actress at that time) and "Imitation Of Life" (either version).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies