Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 01:02 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Aesthetically, it veers a little too close to Star Wars in areas
That was on purpose. I love Star Trek. I love Star Wars. But they are two very different things and don't mix particularly well.

Quote:
But I really am tired of hearing aliens talk like residents of CA or NY: "Don't tell me it didn't happen! I saw it happen!" "That ship: Take it out."
Yup. It's poor worldbuilding, even with the supposed "universal translator" (which is fundamentally ridiculous).

Quote:
And you canNOT redo The Wrath of Khan, no matter how much a jigsaw you try to turn the story into.
Wrath of Khan worked because it was a payoff built on decades. Into Darkness didn't have that. They wanted a climax with no foreplay. It felt cheap and unearned because it was cheap and unearned.

If they wanted Khan back in the new universe, they should have remade "Space Seed." That could have actually been a spectacular movie --- as long as you don't make the fundamental mistake of casting the whitest Britishest actor in all of human existence and expecting your audience to buy him as Khan Noonien Singh.

But shoulda woulda coulda. Too late now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2021, 02:19 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yup. It's poor worldbuilding, even with the supposed "universal translator" (which is fundamentally ridiculous).
The Last Jedi has a real eyeball roller. Snoke says (to Rey), "Such spunk."

Spunk? Really? A Scottish word that dates back to the 1700s? So how did it creep into the vernacular of The First Order — rather, Emperor Palpatine's, since he's who Snoke really is/was? So silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Wrath of Khan worked because it was a payoff built on decades. Into Darkness didn't have that. They wanted a climax with no foreplay. It felt cheap and unearned because it was cheap and unearned.

If they wanted Khan back in the new universe, they should have remade "Space Seed."
Yep. They tried to serve the dessert without the dinner. It doesn't work that way.

Old 11-11-2021, 12:54 AM

643 posts, read 352,266 times
MCU will be like meta the new version of Facebook in the future, trying to include everyone, at least all the top cast of Hollywood. Also the international superstars like Tony Leung and Michelle Yeoh.

Old 11-11-2021, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot002 View Post
MCU will be like meta the new version of Facebook in the future, trying to include everyone, at least all the top cast of Hollywood. Also the international superstars like Tony Leung and Michelle Yeoh.
Because it's all about the toy, not the meal.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:00 AM

643 posts, read 352,266 times
^Have collected two winter solders and one wasp. They're not on the pic.
Eternals action figures have arrived to stores. Gemma Chan once again becomes a humanoid robot.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot002 View Post
^Have collected two winter solders and one wasp. They're not on the pic.
Eternals action figures have arrived to stores. Gemma Chan once again becomes a humanoid robot.

Old 11-13-2021, 08:31 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
The problem for me is that I loved the finale of Infinity War and End Game so much that it kind of closed the chapter for Marvel for me.

I just can’t get into the movies anymore. Marvel fatigue I guess. I did like Wanda Vision and Falcon and Winter Soldier.

Didn’t like Black Widow, and Shang Chi was just mediocre in my book. Not necessarily a bad movie, the action and visuals were great, but I just couldn’t get into the plot of the movie.

Have no desire to rush and see The Eternals. I’ll see it when it streams but am not excited to see it at all. Pre- End Game, I couldn’t resist seeing these movies on opening weekend.

The only exception is the next Spiderman, since it connects to some of the original films. I am excited about this one.

Old 11-14-2021, 12:54 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,626,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
The problem for me is that I loved the finale of Infinity War and End Game so much that it kind of closed the chapter for Marvel for me.

I just can’t get into the movies anymore. Marvel fatigue I guess. I did like Wanda Vision and Falcon and Winter Soldier.

Didn’t like Black Widow, and Shang Chi was just mediocre in my book. Not necessarily a bad movie, the action and visuals were great, but I just couldn’t get into the plot of the movie.

Have no desire to rush and see The Eternals. I’ll see it when it streams but am not excited to see it at all. Pre- End Game, I couldn’t resist seeing these movies on opening weekend.

The only exception is the next Spiderman, since it connects to some of the original films. I am excited about this one.
I might also see the new Spiderman since Dr Strange is in it which might connect to mom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies