Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2020, 10:54 AM

12,789 posts, read 15,024,412 times

Advertisements

I've never signed up w/ them before. I assume they're more popular these days since many of us can't go to the movies. I was thinking about signing up.

So I just sign up, browse the kiosks I'm willing to go to & go get it & each day I keep it is another daily fee?

Is thre a monthly fee for this program OR do I just pay as I rent movies? I hope it's the latter.

Can we return them at a different place than where we got them by any chance & vice versa?

Does this work with a Firestick plug-in to stream?

Any other comments, tips, etc.? Thanks!

Last edited by Forever Blue; 12-21-2020 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 11:37 AM

23,615 posts, read 70,512,920 times
You don't even need to sign up. Have your credit card, select from the kiosk, run your card and return when directed. The premise is that popular rentals will be returned after a day or two, so that others can enjoy them as well.

VERY rarely, a disk might be mislabeled. I've only had it happen once so far. There is no monthly fee on kiosk rental use.

Old 12-21-2020, 11:41 AM

16,427 posts, read 12,542,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I've never signed up w/ them before. I assume they're more popular these days since many of us can't go to the movies. I was thinking about signing up.
Redbox isn't quite as popular as it once was. Now that there are so many streaming options, few people see the benefit in renting DVDs. And most people don't know that Redbox has a streaming option.

Quote:
So I just sign up, browse the kiosks I'm willing to go to & go get it & each day I keep it is another daily fee?
I don't even think you have to sign up. It remembers you by the credit card that you use (and I think it requests your email address for receipts). You can create an account, but it's not necessary.

Quote:
Is thre a monthly fee for this program OR do I just pay as I rent movies? I hope it's the latter.
No monthly fee for Redbox

Quote:
Can we return them at a different place than where we got them by any chance & vice versa?
Yes

Quote:
Does this work with a Firestick plug-in to stream?
The kiosks rent DVDs, so all you need is a DVD player. Their on-demand service requires a streaming device.

Old 12-21-2020, 08:30 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,508,910 times
how is Red Box streaming $$ wise compared to others say AMZN,Hulu,VUDU,Google.
BTW,Google has 99 cents special sometimes and VUDU or vulu have many free movies,90% are junks

Old 12-21-2020, 08:31 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,508,910 times
why pay Red Box when you can stream online?
many free movies,also buy used ones on EBay or amzn

Old 12-22-2020, 11:55 AM

769 posts, read 346,655 times
I think that Redbox will still have a some time with the kiosks, but not sure who they fit into a streaming world that already has giants and several rental options.

Old 12-22-2020, 01:14 PM

23,615 posts, read 70,512,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
why pay Red Box when you can stream online?
many free movies,also buy used ones on EBay or amzn
Never lived rural, have you?

Old 12-22-2020, 05:57 PM

12,789 posts, read 15,024,412 times
Thanks so far guys! I've only ever had cable TV, so I have to learn ALL about this streaming stuff.

I don't really want to have to go back out of the cozy house to have to return some DVDs. I prefer to do it all from home.

Question(s):

- Can you access Redbox using an Xbox 360 (not to be confused w/ XboX One) gaming console?

- Can you access Redbox using an Amazon Firestick? I only seer Roku, Chromacast, etc. listed on their site.

Old 12-23-2020, 12:43 AM

1,603 posts, read 871,953 times
I love Redbox for new release Blu Rays. I was able to build a dedicated home cinema room last year and so even before the pandemic we were hardly going out to the movies. Waiting 90 days and getting it on Blu Ray from the Redbox at my local grocery store for $2.19 is just too good a deal, especially when the quality is the same as my local 2k chain cinema presentation.

I suppose like all things it's time will pass, but Redbox is perfect for me as I prefer the quality of disk based presentation over streaming (and I have top tier internet service). I have not tried any of their streaming rentals and doubt I ever will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies