Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 07:28 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times

Advertisements

It's okay. I think kids will enjoy it a lot more than adults. As an adaptation of the Sherlock Holmes mythos, I certainly enjoyed it a lot more than the Robert Downey Jr. films. In tone, it reminded me of the '70s live-action Disney flicks. It's based on a series of Young Adult novels, and the tone is definitely more for kids than adults. Kids probably won't be as bothered by a lot of the anachronisms as adults might be.

Millie Bobbie Brown is definitely the highlight. Whatever you may think of the STRANGER THINGS hype, she is definitely an amazing young actress.

The only things I found rather annoying was the constant breaking of the fourth wall, which was a mistake on the director's part, and the music, which was just too tinkly winkly and twee in places. I got the impression the director told the composer, "Make it sound like HARRY POTTER meets DOWNTON ABBEY!" Unfortunately, it does.

Beautifully shot though. Sets, cinematography, and costumes are great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 04:31 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
The extended epilogue did make it seem as if a series was being planned.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The extended epilogue did make it seem as if a series was being planned.
There is a whole series of books. I have no idea if more movies are planned.

Old 09-23-2020, 06:42 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
Definitely made for kids.

And it definitely felt like a series.

I thought it was cute and enjoyable but I'm a children's librarian so I like stuff made for kids.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:33 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
There is a whole series of books. I have no idea if more movies are planned.
I was wondering how could they afford to bring in Henry Cavill for a series of cameos on a bunch of TV movies to check up on his ward from afar.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I was wondering how could they afford to bring in Henry Cavill for a series of cameos on a bunch of TV movies to check up on his ward from afar.
This was originally supposed to be a theatrical release. It changed to a Netflix release. Probably due to the pandemic and no one going to movie theaters anymore.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:50 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,685 times
I'm not the market they're looking for (mid 50's guy) but enjoyed it. Millie definitely filled the role well and I see a potential long and successful career.

My disappointment was with Cavill, he was the most boring Sherlock character seen in some time.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:55 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I'm not the market they're looking for (mid 50's guy) but enjoyed it. Millie definitely filled the role well and I see a potential long and successful career.

My disappointment was with Cavill, he was the most boring Sherlock character seen in some time.
Sherlock didn't really have much to do....because Enola was always one step ahead of him.....as it should be since she was the title character!

Cavill is always a little boring. Worst superman ever!

Old 09-24-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Cavill is always a little boring. Worst superman ever!
Physically, you'd have to design a better Superman.

As for Cavill's acting ability, he strikes me as more movie star than actor. He's playing various degrees of himself in everything I've ever seen him. Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that. John Wayne, Charlton Heston, Cary Grant, and Katherine Hepburn all became icons playing themselves.

As for Sherlock Holmes, you're never going to improve on Jeremy Brett. Can't be done.

Old 09-24-2020, 03:55 PM

4,863 posts, read 4,801,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
As for Sherlock Holmes, you're never going to improve on Jeremy Brett. Can't be done.
For me, its Basil Rathbone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies