Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 09:07 PM

28,682 posts, read 18,820,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

As for Sherlock Holmes, you're never going to improve on Jeremy Brett. Can't be done.

I used to say that, and it was mostly because of the chemistry between Brett and the two actors who played Watson. That was a directorial decision to make Brett's Watson an actual friend and useful acquaintance rather than a lackey straight man serving as nothing but a foil to show Holmes' intelligence.

Until the updated Sherlock with the clearly sociopathic Holmes of Benedict Cumberbatch and the tough but troubled Watson of Martin Freeman. In both cases, Watson is brighter than the average man...paling only next to Holmes' brilliance.

But in both series, it's the chemistry between Holmes and Watson that I prefer over earlier versions.

I watched Enola Holmes, and my major issue is that she didn't really seem innately brilliant enough. I'm not sure the writers knew how to write it "brilliant."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2020, 10:03 AM

740 posts, read 458,012 times
Quote:
Physically, you'd have to design a better Superman.

As for Cavill's acting ability, he strikes me as more movie star than actor. He's playing various degrees of himself in everything I've ever seen him. Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that. John Wayne, Charlton Heston, Cary Grant, and Katherine Hepburn all became icons playing themselves.

As for Sherlock Holmes, you're never going to improve on Jeremy Brett. Can't be done.

You can add Dwayne Johnson AKA The Rock into that list.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:10 PM

22,925 posts, read 28,302,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Until the updated Sherlock with the clearly sociopathic Holmes of Benedict Cumberbatch and the tough but troubled Watson of Martin Freeman. In both cases, Watson is brighter than the average man...paling only next to Holmes' brilliance.
I really liked the first series of SHERLOCK a lot. It was the one iteration of the Holmes mythos that did something no one else had done before (even Arthur Conan Doyle): It made Watson interesting.

But subsequent seasons were either disappointing or downright terrible. How can you make Hound of the Baskervilles so boring? SHERLOCK managed. And the Irene Adler from 1891 was actually far more interesting and even progressive than SHERLOCK's version, which was just another of Steven Moffat's masturbation fantasies put to screen. The last season of SHERLOCK was so silly that I almost ripped a tendon in my skull from the constant eye-rolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I watched Enola Holmes, and my major issue is that she didn't really seem innately brilliant enough. I'm not sure the writers knew how to write it "brilliant."
Agreed. I'm not sure if that's a reflection of the book or not. I haven't read it. But the central message of the story was two parts modern feminism mixed with nine parts of the usual "Believe in yourself!" that seems to be the theme of most movies aimed at kids and teens these days. It's impossible not to like Enola because Millie Bobbie Brown is so inherently charming. But is there anything to admire in the character itself? Not that I can think of.

Old 09-28-2020, 12:45 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,643,602 times
I just watched the movie. Didn't like it that much but maybe I'm too old for it. A teenage girl might like the movie. I do like Millie Bobbie Brown. Not sure about Enola's character. Somehow I felt like things were happening to her, rather than she taking charge of her life. And the movie, as a whole, felt "cute" and lacked depth. I have to say if you are a parent looking for a movie that has no violence, no drugs, pretty much nothing offensive, this is a good fit.

Old 09-28-2020, 01:04 PM

29,752 posts, read 34,428,618 times
Watched this over the weekend, and thought it was a lot of fun. The cast was great--not just Cavill and Helena Bonham Carter, but almost everyone was someone you've seen if you've watched any British drama over the past 10 years.

Old 09-28-2020, 01:27 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,087,911 times
I watched it yesterday and loved it! I'm a Stranger Things fan, and love Millie Bobby Brown.
I'm in my 50s, so I don't think age has anything to do with it.

Old 09-28-2020, 02:48 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,204,423 times
Quote:
...and the music, which was just too tinkly winkly and twee in places...
Tinkly, Winkly and Twee
Got hung up on middle C
For a Netflix show
That just wouldn't go
But it made all the kiddies go squee!

Old 09-29-2020, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Tinkly, Winkly and Twee
Got hung up on middle C
For a Netflix show
That just wouldn't go
But it made all the kiddies go squee!

Old 09-29-2020, 06:32 AM

3 posts, read 3,968 times
It was definitely meant for kids. They'll truly enjoy the whole theme, dresses and the backdrop period it was shot in. For adults it may be quite boring.

Old 09-29-2020, 07:02 AM

My teen daughter liked it. Loved it? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies