Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 04:41 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,565,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I loved the movie, but I have to wonder ... why didn't Matt Damon ever don the traditional Carroll Shelby overalls that we always saw him in??? Huge Shelby fan here ... in fact, my youngest son's middle name is Shelby!
Just watched Shelby American on Netflix and the only time it showed him in overalls is when he raced, other then that he wore a suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2020, 08:17 AM

12,792 posts, read 15,034,943 times
Was late coming to this one, but still saw it in the theatres. I'm not even a car person & quite liked it. It was very informative.

Old 01-18-2020, 03:21 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,099,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Was late coming to this one, but still saw it in the theatres. I'm not even a car person & quite liked it. It was very informative.
That's exactly how I felt about it! I don't care a fig about vehicles or racing but I really enjoyed the story and the acting.

Old 01-19-2020, 11:19 AM

6,469 posts, read 8,204,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Just saw the movie last night and found it pretty disappointing. It was "Hollywooded" way too much. Rather than focusing on the actual development of the cars, and on more of what happened at Shelby America, they made the show just about the exaggerated interpersonal relationships between the Ford execs and Shelby. They really didn't explain what the Cobra was all about, anything about it's development or just how significant it was. They never mentioned that while Shelby America was working with the GT-40 project in the GTP class, they also built their own Shelby Daytona (Cobra based) for the GT class-and won it. They never showed the actual design and building of the GT-40, it just showed up at Shelby for additional development. It was never mentioned that the first ones were built by Lotus.

The race scenes were mostly dumb (fun, but dumb). Just because you "let your driver loose" doesn't mean that his car is 30 miles an hour faster than anything else on the track. And why are they always downshifting when increasing speed? The whole show felt more like Days of Thunder (IIRC-the old Nascar film with Tom Cruise) than a story about Shelby America.

There is a Netflix documentary out on Shelby right now that actually is better than the movie.
It is definitely not a movie for racing fans. I think Rush is way better, although the racing scenes are equally bad.

Old 02-01-2020, 02:42 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,827,404 times
Great film powered by gasoline, adrenaline, testosterone and excellent acting. While this is obviously a male centric film, the excellent performances of Caitronia Balfe as Ken Miles (Christian Bale) wife, Mollie, and Noah Jupe as Ken's son Peter, brings much needed emotional counterbalance to the film. I don't know why the Academy overlooked Caitronia Balfe's performance other than "it's just a racing movie". Well, it's much more than that and I'm so happy I was able to see it on the big screen.

Old 02-24-2020, 12:44 AM

5,473 posts, read 8,203,627 times
I finally saw this movie and as a lifelong motor racing fan, I was somewhat disappointed. It is definitely a somewhat hokey Hollywood movie intended for a general audience.

The racing sequences are unrealistic. Things such as drivers talking to each other while side by side on the straights were ridiculous. (When they finally got to Le Mans, because they were in enclosed cars, they just stared at each other.)

Some of the scenes in the pits at Le Mans were laughable.

An alternate movie title might have been “Ford (the bureaucratic behemoth) v Shelby.” I wondered, after watching the movie, could Ford really have been as obstructionist as portrayed? After doing a little research I decided, definitely not.

Here is what Ford through their racing division actually did:

They went to England and hired Eric Broadly of Lola to design and build the first cars. (They were not designed by Shelby.) He based them on his design for the Lola Mk6 GT: https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/ima...ry-83394_1.jpg

They did all of the wind tunnel work and engine development, including extensive durability testing on sophisticated dynamometer equipment.

They set up a small but well-funded subsidiary, Kar-Kraft, to develop many parts such as transmissions and other mechanical parts, continue the design of the car, assemble it, and do many other things. Kar-Kraft adapted the final engine choice, the big stock car based engine, to the chassis.

They gave cars to Shelby AND Holman-Moody AND Allan-Mann Racing (England) for on-track testing and development. Holman-Moody, of stock car fame, was barely mentioned in the movie and Allan Mann never was. The quick-change brake disks (they showed it as an entire suspension change in the movie) were a Holman-Moody development. Ford coordinated the best efforts of these three so the resulting cars built by Kar-Kraft and given to the teams were the same. All three teams raced them.

It doesn't seem that Ford hindered the effort in any way. They coordinated the whole thing. They were the ones who made it happen.

Old 06-21-2020, 05:43 AM

3,865 posts, read 1,804,012 times
Finally saw this tonight and really enjoyed it. Christian Bale did a fantastic job with acting for this role. I learned after watching the movie; all of the driving scenes were real ---no CGI. The only CGI used was to create an audience at the race. Some of those scenes were intense. Especially the race that lasted 24 hrs.

Just a really good story.

Last edited by Wintergirl80; 06-21-2020 at 05:55 AM..

Old 06-21-2020, 06:34 AM

11,678 posts, read 6,104,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I finally saw this movie and as a lifelong motor racing fan, I was somewhat disappointed. It is definitely a somewhat hokey Hollywood movie intended for a general audience.

The racing sequences are unrealistic. Things such as drivers talking to each other while side by side on the straights were ridiculous. (When they finally got to Le Mans, because they were in enclosed cars, they just stared at each other.)

Some of the scenes in the pits at Le Mans were laughable.

An alternate movie title might have been “Ford (the bureaucratic behemoth) v Shelby.” I wondered, after watching the movie, could Ford really have been as obstructionist as portrayed? After doing a little research I decided, definitely not.

Here is what Ford through their racing division actually did:

They went to England and hired Eric Broadly of Lola to design and build the first cars. (They were not designed by Shelby.) He based them on his design for the Lola Mk6 GT: https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/ima...ry-83394_1.jpg

They did all of the wind tunnel work and engine development, including extensive durability testing on sophisticated dynamometer equipment.

They set up a small but well-funded subsidiary, Kar-Kraft, to develop many parts such as transmissions and other mechanical parts, continue the design of the car, assemble it, and do many other things. Kar-Kraft adapted the final engine choice, the big stock car based engine, to the chassis.

They gave cars to Shelby AND Holman-Moody AND Allan-Mann Racing (England) for on-track testing and development. Holman-Moody, of stock car fame, was barely mentioned in the movie and Allan Mann never was. The quick-change brake disks (they showed it as an entire suspension change in the movie) were a Holman-Moody development. Ford coordinated the best efforts of these three so the resulting cars built by Kar-Kraft and given to the teams were the same. All three teams raced them.

It doesn't seem that Ford hindered the effort in any way. They coordinated the whole thing. They were the ones who made it happen.
I am a car nut and hated the movie. I found it barely watchable.

The film was well done, but was obviously produced for a mass-market audience, so the racing, true story, and authenticity were all bastardized and dumbed down for mass market appeal. The thing is, it was completely un-necessary. The true story is compelling and dramatic enough that it would have been fine as is, without massively fictionalizing it and leaving out half the true story.

The movie had great production value, but is a stinker for a true car nut.

Given that this was a "racing" movie, there was almost a complete darth of racing in it.

I gave it 2-stars out of 5. 1 for production value and 1 for cohesiveness/watchability. "LeMans" it is not that is for sure.

I was not disappointed, because once I learned they cast Matt Damon as Carrol Shelby, I knew the movie had a very slim chance to be a good movie. Damon is a great actor, but he is completely miscast as the iconic racing engineer Shelby. Horrible casting choice.

Old 06-21-2020, 12:05 PM

2,506 posts, read 3,256,539 times
We watched it on HBO last night. It was very entertaining. Yes movies are rarely 100% accurate about technical features. We saw the documentary about Shelby so we were covered on the factual stuff.
As they say, its only a movie.

Old 06-26-2020, 03:05 PM

19,438 posts, read 15,286,924 times
We just watched it, too. I figured there would be complaints about it not being authentic in different ways. That's always the case with the "based on a true story" type of movies. Also, I wouldn't have watched it if not for so many good reviews of it here on CD.

Anyway, I really liked it. It was sort of formula (pardon the pun), but I don't really think there was a way to get around that because of the type of story it is. I thought it was interesting learning about how they go about building and testing the cars, the mechanics and skill of actually racing them, and the racing scenes themselves were pretty exciting. I gave it a 4/5.

Spoiler
The scene where Shelby takes Ford for a ride is hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies