Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 11:38 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,094,114 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah I understand that part, after it was explained, I just don't get how these other guys who want him dead, even know Satan or are aware that he has some kind of deal going on with Satan and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 06:30 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,598,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I watched it again today. I like the neo-noir style and scenes from Louisiana. I am fan of occult movies, even the super cheesy The Ninth Gate.
Very good movie also!

Old 07-13-2019, 08:01 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,924,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh yeah I understand that part, after it was explained, I just don't get how these other guys who want him dead, even know Satan or are aware that he has some kind of deal going on with Satan and all.
They want him dead because they are all basically crazy for following Satan. Everyone wants to be on top in ruthless hunger for power.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:17 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,924,425 times
The movie is like any horror story. It shows the truth what is really going on underneath our reality in the spiritual world. Any kind of competition is like that. Business. Sports. Politics. And even the "friendly" contests in classrooms and churches. Everyone looks so mild and friendly on the outside, but inside you know there is a Johnny Angel lurking in the dark corner just waiting to attack.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:53 AM

3,181 posts, read 5,167,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
I only remember thinking it sucked.
That's what I thought. Very boring movie for me. It felt like a generic B movie to me.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:12 AM

51,278 posts, read 36,934,237 times
Quote:
I don’t think you really going to get it, because you think in very concrete black-and-white terms and the movie is more nuanced than that. You keep wanting concrete explanation but human behavior doesn’t work like that. That’s why you’re struggling with your own script because you’re concentrating on the external and on action and little to nothing on internal motivations and the whys of real human behavior and thought.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:32 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,094,114 times
Oh okay, I thought the characters in my script were acting based on internal motivations, or at least those were the motivations I gave the characters to behave off of.

Plus Angel Heart doesn't really get into the internal motivations of the other characters as much, since we are seeing pretty much everything from the protagonists point of view.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:54 PM

29,232 posts, read 22,494,585 times
Quote:
Oh okay, I thought the characters in my script were acting based on internal motivations, or at least those were the motivations I gave the characters to behave off of.

Plus Angel Heart doesn't really get into the internal motivations of the other characters as much, since we are seeing pretty much everything from the protagonists point of view.
Yes.
Movies in general are much more difficult in their ability to portray inner lives of characters. A novel can easily describe what's going on inside the character's heads, but a movie has to find some external way to display the internal life.

Sometimes, even the most skilled movie-maker can fail at it.
Read Arthur C. Clarke's novel "2001" and then watch Kubrick's movie. The final scenes in the book make it very clear as to what happens to the last astronaut, but the movie leaves us all wondering what happened.

Kubrick couldn't use dialog, so he tried his best to tell it with visuals, but Clarke, using words, could make the ending very clear and specific.

Clarke's ending made perfect sense, but I liked Kubrick's confusing, mystical ending much better. Leaving the viewer left to draw his own conclusions is not always a bad thing. The book was nowhere as popular as the movie, and Clarke was a best-selling author.

The book is forgotten now, but the movie is a classic. That's the power of leaving some things unsaid in motion pictures. Interestingly, "2001's" sequel, "2010" actually explained the ending, but in a totally different way than in the book. Kubrick had nothing to do with 2010; another group of writers were confronted with the same set of problems Kubrick had, and they got around them by creating an entirely different ending that could use dialog, voice-overs, and all the other stuff movies have to describe subtle inner-life things.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:59 AM

1,487 posts, read 787,646 times
Quote:
I saw the movie again, after quite a few years. I feel that it's close but no cigar perhaps, as the cinematography, sets, music, costumes and acting is all very good actually. The style is great!

However, once the ending comes and the you find out what the private detectives investigation all amounts too, it doesn't really amount to much. There are all these deaths, and people who wanted the main character out of the way, trying to stop him along the way, but in the end, you find out that all these characters and their subplots in the investigation didn't even matter.

It's like the writers thought well, we have a premise, and we have an ending to that premise, now we need to find things to fill in the space in between. Unless I'm looking at it the wrong way?

Still love the style and atmosphere, and it might be worth watching just for that! What do you think?
Lou Cypher. I will never forget that line. It's not Lucifer after the fall, it's Satan. Isn't that just like the devil to use his "other" name.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:08 AM

1,487 posts, read 787,646 times
Doesn't anybody remember that Johnny Favorite and his devil worshipping buddies lured that soldier from the street, then ate his heart? That was supposed to get you a face to face with Satan
himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies