Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 07:35 PM

22,975 posts, read 28,417,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
She said something funny too when that was challenged. When people pointed out Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman, she doubled down saying guys don't like strong women leads outside of Superheroes.
Yeah, I still don't buy that. Princess Leia, Ellen Ripley, Sarah Connor, Sidney Bristow, Michelle Yeoh ... all have lots of guy fans. Myself included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 07:43 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,655,413 times
Ellen Ripley's been the go-to for "tough female lead," along with "Sawah Connuh," for how long now?

Old 11-20-2019, 07:45 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,258,124 times
It was a fun movie. I still don’t like K Stew. I enjoyed myself.

Old 11-20-2019, 10:08 PM

12,447 posts, read 8,246,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Ellen Ripley's been the go-to for "tough female lead," along with "Sawah Connuh," for how long now?
John Wayne's name still rings as a verb as well as a noun.

Old 11-22-2019, 04:44 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,297,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yeah, I still don't buy that. Princess Leia, Ellen Ripley, Sarah Connor, Sidney Bristow, Michelle Yeoh ... all have lots of guy fans. Myself included.
Nope. I think the latest excuse du jour for movies that underperform with female leads is toxic masculinity.

I just can't understand the argument when Elizabeth Banks had a supporting role in Hunger Games. Non-superhero movie, strong female lead, made shed loads of money $3B across the movies for a $500M outlay, 500% pure profit.

Then there's Uma Thurman in Kill Bill, Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta, Kate Beckinsale in Underworld, Milla Jovovic in Resident Evil, Charlize Theron in Atomic Blonde and Thunder Road, Demi Moore in GI Jane, Daisy Ridley and Felicity Jones in the new Star Wars series (and Carrie Fisher), Michelle Yeoh and Ziyi Zhang in Crouching Tiger. There's hundreds.

Guess that they don't count, since it doesn't demonstrate the excuse du jour.

Old 11-22-2019, 07:35 AM

22,975 posts, read 28,417,043 times
Quote:
I do. Nobody asked for it. Nobody wanted it. It came out of nowhere, and everyone went WTF? Again? Why?
Maybe. It's been an odd autumn movie season.

The new TERMINATOR movie tanked, which isn't a surprise. By all reports, it's a crap-awful movie. Maybe people are starting to realize that as a director Tim Miller movies are actually more Michael Bay than James Cameron.

CHARLIE'S ANGELS tanked. I don't disagree with any of your reasoning, but I don't understand why this movie is tanking and the FAST AND... movies rake in millions. They both look like the same flavor of popcorn.

And then you've got DOCTOR SLEEP, which is actually a really good movie, and it too tanked, which I don't understand at all.

Are people just tired of going to the movies? Have TV and streaming finally conquered?

Old 11-22-2019, 08:29 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,140,239 times
This movie blew because the leading cast are not that well known and it was another woke feminist movie. Sorry but Kristin Stewart has not done any great movies (maybe the Panic Room). Those vampire movies IMO she was awful in.

For this to work, you needed current and hot in the market leading ladies. Scarlet Johannson, Beyonce or Rihanna, JLo. A fun, wacky story similar to the original TV show and Movies.

Banks tried to do a woke feminist movie (a la Ghostbuster 2016) and it failed yet again.

Old 11-22-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Maybe. It's been an odd autumn movie season.

The new TERMINATOR movie tanked, which isn't a surprise. By all reports, it's a crap-awful movie. Maybe people are starting to realize that as a director Tim Miller movies are actually more Michael Bay than James Cameron.

CHARLIE'S ANGELS tanked. I don't disagree with any of your reasoning, but I don't understand why this movie is tanking and the FAST AND... movies rake in millions. They both look like the same flavor of popcorn.

And then you've got DOCTOR SLEEP, which is actually a really good movie, and it too tanked, which I don't understand at all.

Are people just tired of going to the movies? Have TV and streaming finally conquered?
The new Terminator bombed since it was a rehash of the old story (T1 and T2). A Latino Villain with the characteristics of the T1 (T800) and T2 (T1000) villain. A female hero with a boyish haircut and a new petite female John Conor who looked ridiculous holding a gun.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:04 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,655,413 times
Quote:
F&F is an established franchise that hasn't taken a break since it launched 20 years ago.

The second Charlie's Angels movie with Lucy, Cameron and Drew, Full Throttle, didn't perform like the first one, either.

There was no literally no buzz for this new one at all. Maybe the marketing team failed, or maybe audiences want more movies like Joker.

Point Break remake? Came and went.
Annie remake? Came and went.
Overboard remake? Came and went.

The originals? Still discussed — more importantly, are LIKED.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
F&F is an established franchise that hasn't taken a break since it launched 20 years ago.

The second Charlie's Angels movie with Lucy, Cameron and Drew, Full Throttle, didn't perform like the first one, either.

There was no literally no buzz for this new one at all. Maybe the marketing team failed, or maybe audiences want more movies like Joker.

Point Break remake? Came and went.
Annie remake? Came and went.
Overboard remake? Came and went.

The originals? Still discussed — more importantly, are LIKED.
I forgot about the Point Break remake. They made it too serious. The original was decent drama but it had its goofy parts.

I feel that people are tired of rehash movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies