Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 12:21 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,788,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
James Earl Jones IS Mufasa. Bean as Zazu was fine but who cares about Zazu?
What? I am saying those narrators did an excellent job narrating. Yeah glad they brought back James Earl Jones.

I felt many of the voices were off, didn't match their character.

Oh and I liked Zazu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 02:51 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
What? I am saying those narrators did an excellent job narrating. Yeah glad they brought back James Earl Jones.

I felt many of the voices were off, didn't match their character.

Oh and I liked Zazu
I meant how Mufasa would have hurt the movie if it wasn't James Earl Jones. Maybe Morgan Freeman would be another good one, but you are talking actors with distinct voices. As for the comment about Zazu, that was because Zazu as a character isn't that likable nor memorable in either version. He is basically just an adviser to the king.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:59 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,099,146 times
Saw this last night. Loved everything except Nala. I HATED Beyonce as Nala. I didn't get Nala out of the character, I just heard Beyonce and she can't act. It was so distracting.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:24 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Saw this last night. Loved everything except Nala. I HATED Beyonce as Nala. I didn't get Nala out of the character, I just heard Beyonce and she can't act. It was so distracting.
I don't think most people liked Beyonce. She can't act. A friend of mine, who is obsessed with Beyonce, posted on Facebook about her multi movie deal that is in the works with Disney, and even she commented that she hopes she'll be behind the camera and not in front of it.

I thought everyone else did a great job, and didn't really get why Disney felt they needed a big name like Beyonce. It's the Lion King. They could have had a bunch of unknowns, and people would have still gone to see I. Although there are plenty of other popular black actresses that could have been a better Nala. And then have Beyonce on the soundtrack.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:55 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a funny, warming "remake" of the original. I especially thought that Timon and Pumbaa were way funnier in the remake than in the original. Yes, they cut certain things out and added others, but the film didn't suffer because of it in my opinion. This was yet another case where I found myself at odds with professional reviewers.

Note, my main fear going into the movie was that Beyonce would ruin it. She can't sing to me and I thought she'd ruin Nala for the ages. Thankfully, her voice was more mellow and subdued.

Old 08-12-2019, 02:39 AM

735 posts, read 1,171,163 times
Those who didn't see the 1994 original will thoroughly enjoy this film. I saw the original film 25 years ago and was blown away. The remake not so much.

What killed it for me was that the character design it ranged from MEH to horrid. Scar and Pumba looked down right awful and nothing like their cartoon counter parts. (what happened?!)

At times the film was a beat-by-beat copy of the original with minor changes and minimal facial expressions on the characters.

There were extended scenes but the filmmakers blew the opportunity to really expand the plot. For instance they could have delved into Scar's childhood to find out when he started hating his older brother so much. Or why he just didn't leave and form his own pride instead of taking over Mufasa's.

In my opinion, the original is better.

Additional:

For those of you that want more of the original there is a Lion King TV series (Lion Guard) that focuses on Simba and Nala's son with occasional appearances from the original cast. In season 2 Scar came back from the dead and again tried to take over.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:15 AM

1,487 posts, read 782,600 times
[quote=Suburban_Guy;53708429]Teaser trailer looks promising.

The CGI looks amazing.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/teaser-tr...005323899.html

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4CbLXeGSDxg[/QUOTE

There was no need to remake The Lion King, except for the lack of creativity, vision and imagination which is in Hollywood right now. The studio execs are probably the kids of rich people who bribed their kids way into Ivy League. The same thing Loughlin got busted for.
The only good remakes I've seen are Judge Dredd, The Manchurian Candidate, and True Grit. True Grit is stellar.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:50 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
The only good remakes I've seen are Judge Dredd, The Manchurian Candidate, and True Grit. True Grit is stellar.
I thought the latest remake of "The Maltese Falcon" was pretty good.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:07 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
Scar and Pumba looked down right awful and nothing like their cartoon counter parts. (what happened?!)
They weren't cartoons. They were made to look like actual wild animals.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:20 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,709,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
What's the point of this remake? Will it have a different ending?

Will Zimba come out as the 1st gay king of the jungle or binary? Will he be a SJW for the lioness? Or will it be a 3 part trilogy to demonstrate his transition from lion to lioness?

LOL..
The Wizard of Oz (1939) had been done numerous times before what is now considered the classic version.

Apocalypse Now wasn't the first daptation of the source material (Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness).

The Thing
Cape Fear
12 Monkeys
A Fistful of Dollars

The cinematic universe teems with great films that had been 'done before'. Why this gets people bent ouf of shape is beyond me.

PS - when you drag your political obsessions into a discussion of The Lion King, and then follow it up with a self-important laugh at your own comment, it's pretty sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies