Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 05:35 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,452,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
It would seem, whether he intended it or not, that Eastwood's more recent work is appealing to an audience that is considerably more female than his classics from 30-50 years ago.

I can't help but be curious as to whether there is anyone here who liked Gran Torino and The Mule AND liked Coogan's Bluff, The Gauntlet, and Heartbreak Ridge. I'd be surprised if there are very many, especially among men.
I saw 'The Mule' a few months ago,and enjoyed it. Clint knows how to tell a story, without the need for fast cutting, or fancy camerawork. It is a pleasure to just sit back, and let him tell the story.

It is quite emotional nowadays to see an obviously fragile Clint still working, and entertaining us. As I said in an earlier post, he is a living movie legend, going back to the 1950s. We will not see his like again.

In answer to the poster above, I have enjoyed everyone of Clint's movies, except one, called 'Joe Kidd' way back in the early 70s. That's not a bad track record in a career lasting seven decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 01:11 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,644,812 times
Quote:
I can't help but be curious as to whether there is anyone here who liked Gran Torino and The Mule AND liked Coogan's Bluff, The Gauntlet, and Heartbreak Ridge. I'd be surprised if there are very many, especially among men.
A bold assumption to make. I like all those films, and the "Dirty" Harry series (minus the forgettable The Dead Pool). I even like Tightrope, The Eiger Sanction, Every Which Way but Loose (and its inferior sequel Any Which Way You Can), Bronco Billy, and the wunnerful Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.

And tell me, who does not love Escape from Alcatraz?

Clint has a helluva filmography.

Old 09-28-2019, 03:22 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,478,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
A bold assumption to make. I like all those films, and the "Dirty" Harry series (minus the forgettable The Dead Pool). I even like Tightrope, The Eiger Sanction, Every Which Way but Loose (and its inferior sequel Any Which Way You Can), Bronco Billy, and the wunnerful Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.

And tell me, who does not love Escape from Alcatraz?

Clint has a helluva filmography.
Agreed. In the Dirty Harry films, I was not crazy about Sudden Impact. I also enjoyed Pale Rider and Unforgiven, though the latter may have been a bit overrated.

Yup, this man has one heck of a filmography. Certainly none of the younger generations of actors will be able to match what Eastwood has accomplished in his career.

Old 09-28-2019, 03:28 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,478,221 times
Quote:
It would seem, whether he intended it or not, that Eastwood's more recent work is appealing to an audience that is considerably more female than his classics from 30-50 years ago.

I don't know about that. I am a 100% heterosexual male and I like both his classic films from 30-50 years ago as well as the more recent ones that you mentioned (Coogan's Bluff is one that I don't remember, though).

Old 09-28-2019, 05:09 PM

13,585 posts, read 15,717,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
Agreed. In the Dirty Harry films, I was not crazy about Sudden Impact. I also enjoyed Pale Rider and Unforgiven, though the latter may have been a bit overrated.

Yup, this man has one heck of a filmography. Certainly none of the younger generations of actors will be able to match what Eastwood has accomplished in his career.
Indeed -- Sudden Impact was just a way to showcase his new girlfriend/wife/whatever. It's like they wrote a movie around her, with Dirty Harry being an afterthought. What a terrible way to kill a franchise, though The Dead Pool and all its over-the-top 80's goofiness didn't help either.

Unforgiven was a bit too drawn out and indeed, overrated. I guess a lot of people just wanted a regular western from Eastwood again and they knew this was the best they'd get.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:26 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,761,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
I don't know about that. I am a 100% heterosexual male and I like both his classic films from 30-50 years ago as well as the more recent ones that you mentioned (Coogan's Bluff is one that I don't remember, though).
I think a lot of people cut him way too much slack in the last 30 years because of his phenomenal earlier work and the way it connected with people. He clearly lost his way with Unforgiven and has never since come close to levels we once took for granted. But I also reiterate that I think this dichotomy is seen somewhat differently by women, generally speaking. How many men who loved Heartbreak Ridge and Dirty Harry even bought a ticket for Million Dollar Baby? Nobody I know of.

I suggest you seek and find Coogan's Bluff - it'll be worth your while. It started him off in the modern day tough cop persona and was excellent.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:52 AM

2,507 posts, read 3,261,685 times
We viewed THE MULE on HBO. We really enjoyed it.

Old 09-29-2019, 03:42 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,686,652 times
It was decent, but really just made me want to watch Gran Torino, which I did. He's just so much better as an ahole.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:54 AM

29,532 posts, read 22,792,969 times
Just saw it, was a very good movie.

As pointed out in the movie, the story is very loosely based on the real life story of the old drug trafficker.

Which made the movie all the better as only Eastwood can do. He's great at the subtle scenes and knows how to hold audience interest in even the most seemingly mundane scenarios.

When directors like Eastwood take a real life story and put so much B.S. in it like American Sniper, and try to infer that it's a 'true' story, doesn't work for me. However, he takes a real life story and up front says it's just loosely based on the actual story, then it works.

Old 11-05-2019, 10:13 AM

13,585 posts, read 15,717,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Just saw it, was a very good movie.

As pointed out in the movie, the story is very loosely based on the real life story of the old drug trafficker.

Which made the movie all the better as only Eastwood can do. He's great at the subtle scenes and knows how to hold audience interest in even the most seemingly mundane scenarios.

When directors like Eastwood take a real life story and put so much B.S. in it like American Sniper, and try to infer that it's a 'true' story, doesn't work for me. However, he takes a real life story and up front says it's just loosely based on the actual story, then it works.
Yep, that's exactly how I felt about the film. Eastwood himself is what really makes it work, and I can't think of any other current actors who could pull it off as well as did he.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies