Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 05:53 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,521,352 times

Advertisements

I must say I'm surprised that no one has posted a negative comment about the movie's name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 06:06 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,194,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well I watched the trailers and by reading the reviews, it feels that I've seen all this before. You say that that is the point, and it's suppose to be cliched, but... wouldn't it be better if a movie had an all Asian cast that was an original story though.
Maybe to impress YOU, and what sort of original story would you like? After all, there has nothing much original coming out of Hollywood these days, and not for decades.

But at least the movie is based on an original book series, so you should really go criticize the author of those.

Rom-coms are meant to be light-hearted fluff creations anyway. Just a few hours of fun where the boy and girl end up happily together at the end of the film. And who doesn't enjoy this sort of escapism? And I for one, appreciate that they didn't have to interject any token white, Hispanic or black characters into the film for the sake of diversity. Or have to hire a major Hollywood actor or actress in order to make the film "bankable".

BTW why don't you list some examples of "original story" movies that you have been impressed by. What are your favorite movies?

Old 08-25-2018, 06:24 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,194,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And for the mother, wanting (much less getting) what is in your heart was itself a sin and a shame for a woman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
We'll just have to disagree. What she wanted was consistent with her cultural heritage.
I agree with cyrano. Traditionally, Asians don't marry for romantic love. Hence, the arranged marriages. They marry in order to make an alliance with another family, and form a bond that enhances both families. And astrological charts are also used to make sure that the couples are compatible in all ways possible. And the Asians believe that affection and love will develop over time.

Even one of my Chinese (born in America) friends, 12 years older than me, believed this. Hers was an arranged marriage, and she said that she loved her husband and they had a good marriage.

And about 10 years ago, I came across a video on youtube. Someone was interviewing random older Chinese people on the street and asking them about love. They did believe in love, but not in the fairy tale America version of it. They didn't believe in a marriage based on romance.

Indian culture also has arranged marriages.

But as all Asians become more westernized, they now marry more for love. Although, the parents still get involved with trying to set their kids up with approved potential matches.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:57 AM

28,682 posts, read 18,820,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I agree with cyrano. Traditionally, Asians don't marry for romantic love. Hence, the arranged marriages. They marry in order to make an alliance with another family, and form a bond that enhances both families. And astrological charts are also used to make sure that the couples are compatible in all ways possible. And the Asians believe that affection and love will develop over time.

Even one of my Chinese (born in America) friends, 12 years older than me, believed this. Hers was an arranged marriage, and she said that she loved her husband and they had a good marriage.

And about 10 years ago, I came across a video on youtube. Someone was interviewing random older Chinese people on the street and asking them about love. They did believe in love, but not in the fairy tale America version of it. They didn't believe in a marriage based on romance.

Indian culture also has arranged marriages.

But as all Asians become more westernized, they now marry more for love. Although, the parents still get involved with trying to set their kids up with approved potential matches.
I don't understand what you think you're disagreeing with me about.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well I watched the trailers and by reading the reviews, it feels that I've seen all this before. You say that that is the point, and it's suppose to be cliched, but... wouldn't it be better if a movie had an all Asian cast that was an original story though.
Go watch Joy Luck Club.

The movie couldn't be a story for everyone in Asia. No movie could.

The question would whether the movie could be a story for anyone in Asia. Apparently it can.

I was rather disappointed that Russel Wong didn't blow up big-time after that movie. He had the Hollywood hunky good looks that should have brought him loads of offers.

But that was a different time, I guess. Or maybe this is a different time.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I must say I'm surprised that no one has posted a negative comment about the movie's name.
It was already a hit book series by an Asian and popular among Asians.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:17 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,521,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It was already a hit book series by an Asian and popular among Asians.
I meant the people who claim faux outrage and say, "when are we going to have a movie called Crazy Rich White People?" There was a bunch of said comments about Black Panther and when will there be a White Panther.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:19 PM

29,752 posts, read 34,428,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What's negative about it? It's about an Asian family who's crazy rich.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:31 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
Must we look so hard for things to be faux outraged about?
I can’t wait to see the movie. One of the women in it is the mother on Fresh off the Boat, and she’s a hoot.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:42 AM

29,527 posts, read 22,695,541 times
In a bit of good news, Crazy Rich Asians is poised to repeat as the number one movie for the weekend box office. It is even predicted to have a very small dip compared to last week, and even has a small chance of actually increasing its box office take. All in all, a wonderful success story for this movie.

But, alas, it won't hardly change the opinions of Hollywood executives, who will continue to toe the party line that "Americans don't want to see Asian faces in the movies," and so expect another decade until we see an all Asian cast American motion picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies