Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 11:05 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,015,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I heard of the movie when I read about new movies coming out but I didn't get any more publicity than that. I feel that maybe it's in the title. With a title like 'Crazy Rich Asians', people are going to raise their eyebrows and want to learn more about it, based on the title, at least I do .
I saw trailers for it before most movies I've seen over the past several months, saw tv ads, and have seen a number of interviews with the book's author.

The movie is based on a popular book, of the same title, that includes 2 sequels in the book series. The movie isn't trying to stir up any controversy with the title as it is well known already by those who have read, or at least heard of, the books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 11:07 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,068,908 times
Oh I didn't think the movie was trying to stir up controversy with the title. When I hear the title, I don't think controversy, I think satirical, since the title sounds like a possible satire to me.

But what is the appeal of this movie exactly, as from watching the trailer, it looks like just another wedding rom-com, where you have people who do not approve of the spouse, and we've seen this all before, no?

Old 08-21-2018, 10:27 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,372,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I saw trailers for it before most movies I've seen over the past several months, saw tv ads, and have seen a number of interviews with the book's author.

The movie is based on a popular book, of the same title, that includes 2 sequels in the book series. The movie isn't trying to stir up any controversy with the title as it is well known already by those who have read, or at least heard of, the books.
And it's getting a lot of press for its almost entirely Asian cast. If you haven't heard of this movie you haven't been paying much attention to the popular media. It's been everywhere.

I'm going to see it over the weekend, and I'm looking forward to it. It looks so fun!

Old 08-21-2018, 10:46 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,499,246 times
Yeah, I feel like lately every time I turn on the TV, someone's talking about this movie. They've really been working the morning show/talk show/late night circuit.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:58 AM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Oh I didn't think the movie was trying to stir up controversy with the title. When I hear the title, I don't think controversy, I think satirical, since the title sounds like a possible satire to me.

But what is the appeal of this movie exactly, as from watching the trailer, it looks like just another wedding rom-com, where you have people who do not approve of the spouse, and we've seen this all before, no?
Yep. Not to mention what's probably been going on behind the scenes in Britain over the last year.

We saw it over the weekend. There aren't any new beats to it--you've seen all the tropes before.

But it is entertaining, interesting to see a different look to the old story.

With regard to the title, you have to note that there is no comma. These are not crazy Asians who are rich, but Asians who are "crazy rich."

But the men are handsome, the women are lovely, and those who aren't handsome or lovely are funny as hell.

Awkwafina especially shines in this. Her comedic timing is impeccable, and she keeps it at just the right level. Her entire movie family is "we're rich, and we're trashy, and we're happy that way," as opposed to the others who are pretending to erzatz nobility:

"They spent far too much on that wedding. We are Methodists--we would not spend more than twenty million."

It was pretty good, and they even had a worthy crisis point, where you are thinking, "Oh, geez, she's dead--no way she can come back from that!"

But to get the real measure of the climax, I think you need to know what a winning stack in Mahjong looks like. I'm sure I missed something there.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 08-21-2018 at 11:34 AM..

Old 08-21-2018, 11:09 AM

24,612 posts, read 9,446,498 times
I plan to watch this movie soon. I agree with another poster in that it’s good to see Asians on the big screen. It’s always white and black people and we forget about Asians and Hispanics in this country on the big screen

Old 08-21-2018, 11:17 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,952,776 times
Quote:
Why is the theater so packed for this movie? Me or my friends haven't even heard of this movie, so it's not like it seems to be getting a lot of publicity though, unless we somehow missed it?
I don’t have cable and don’t listen to the radio, and I have heard so much about this movie. While not typically a movie I would watch (rom-com), this one looks really good and I love the lead actress.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:30 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,068,908 times
It seems the only reason why it is getting so much press is because of the Asian cast though, not the story itself. If it were an all white or an all black cast, I don't think it would be doing near as well.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:45 PM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
It seems the only reason why it is getting so much press is because of the Asian cast though, not the story itself. If it were an all white or an all black cast, I don't think it would be doing near as well.
It's just a different spin on an old story that's already been done in both black and white before.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:38 PM

13,066 posts, read 7,502,913 times
But the level of wealth is many orders higher. And the degrees of "success" are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies