Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 01:15 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,036,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Spoiler
That was addressed. She sold something of her ex-husband's. Can't remember exactly what it was ... a tractor or something?
For some reason I thought she was paying through the end of the year. I must have misheard the initial exchange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 07:21 AM

21,503 posts, read 10,625,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
For some reason I thought she was paying through the end of the year. I must have misheard the initial exchange.
That part I did catch, and she said here’s $5,000 for the first month’s rent.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:54 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,993,691 times
This wasn't a film that I had any initial desire to see, but after all the hype I decided to pay-per-view it last evening. I was expecting a serious dramatic movie, but it could almost be classified a comedy. I thought it was hilarious! I laughed almost all the way through the movie. There was so much subtle and tongue-in-cheek humor. Perhaps it just appealed to my dark sense of humor.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:31 PM

26,823 posts, read 26,966,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
....who could live on a store clerk’s salary and pay $5,000 for billboards for just one month? She didn’t even try to negotiate that price, it was just offered.
I thought she said more than once (the second time, when her ex came by) that the $ was from the sale of her ex's forklift or truck.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:08 AM

19,468 posts, read 15,315,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Thanks for starting this thread. I just watched this movie for the second time yesterday.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by the movie. I think the action by Mildred that you reference was done out of pure rage. I don't think she was rationally thinking about the consequences.

As for the other character, I have seen transformations like that myself. I don't think it was too far-fetched.
I agree. I don't think she even expected anything to come of it. I think she was just reacting out of sheer pain, rage, and frustration. She even makes a comment to Woody Harrelson's character that she wants any criminal who gets arrested in their town to be cross-checked with their DNA, or something like that. He reacts in a way showing that that's just not feasible, and her face shows that she knows that's true. She's just desperate and lashing out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I just watched it. The only three likable characters were the son, Red and the dwarf. Oh, and the 19-year old girlfriend. But the entire movie was a laughable characterization of what an Englishman thinks Missouri is like, or maybe all of Middle America (those deplorables). It was weird, and ridiculous.
Uh, don't you mean "midget"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
One of the reviews I read stated that McDormand's character 'runs the town gift shop', and that same review referred to Amanda Warren's character Denise (the black lady who worked at the gift shop) as a clerk. A couple of other reviews I read referred to them as co-workers. None of the reviews I read referred to Denise as the owner.

I liked Sam Rockwell's speech, but I don't want to see the movie win in any other 'major categories'.

I was blown away by Eva Marie Saint, who presented one of the awards. If I live to be 93 1/2, I hope I am the male personage of someone who is that lithe, that sharp, that clear voiced, and that joyous.
Wasn't that awesome?? I, too, was totally blown away by her. Everything you said, and she also has a sense of humor. That was just so inspiring to see. Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I thought she said more than once (the second time, when her ex came by) that the $ was from the sale of her ex's forklift or truck.
Yes, she did. I got the impression that she was going to just pay the first, initial payment and then couldn't afford the rest. The billboards would have already been seen and started the controversy, so it didn't even matter if she could afford the rest of the payments.

Spoiler
I don't think anyone has mentioned the quick scene where Woody's character accidentally coughs up blood on Frances's character's face (he has cancer), and he quickly apologizes and she instantly says, "It's okay, baby." They must have a romantic history, adding to the intensity within their verbal exchanges.

I just have to add at the end here that both Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell are two of my all-time favorite actors. They're both so unique, and anything I see them in is more interesting by way of their mere presence. Love them.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:27 AM

19,468 posts, read 15,315,698 times
^^^Oh! Woody's great, too! But, to me, he's pretty much a big star by now. (Little Woody from Cheers. )

Old 03-13-2018, 06:34 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,537,499 times
didn't like the movie - didn't think the excessive expletive language was needed - ending was abrubt, really disappointed w/ the last couple of movies I've seen that have been nominated for a lot of Oscars....crap

Old 03-14-2018, 12:32 AM

779 posts, read 474,683 times
Great acting, but just too contrived. It didn't bother me necessarily that Rockwell's character has such an abrupt change of heart in the sense that I kind of saw it as one more may he sidesteps the law to fulfill his own selfish wants and desires.

Dunno..... good, but DEFINITELY a weak Oscar contender.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff80 View Post
Great acting, but just too contrived. It didn't bother me necessarily that Rockwell's character has such an abrupt change of heart in the sense that I kind of saw it as one more may he sidesteps the law to fulfill his own selfish wants and desires.

Dunno..... good, but DEFINITELY a weak Oscar contender.
in a real world, Rockewell's character would have been in jail in a heartbeat.....unrealistic

Old 03-14-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I didn't see a thread on this one, and considering it seems to be a front-runner for Best Picture, I thought I'd open the discussion ...

Anyone else disappointed by this movie? I mean the performances were great, but about halfway through, the story started becoming extremely contrived.

A couple things I took issue with ...

Spoiler
Dixon's MASSIVE character shift, just because of a letter from Willoughby and a glass of orange juice from Red? All of a sudden he's a completely self-sacrificing crime fighter who is driven to get justice for Mildred's daughter, who he never cared about before??

And Mildred ... who seems to be a very smart woman, wants nothing more than to have her daughter's crime solved, so she torches the police department, where all records of the case exist?

And I'm sorry, but one does not suffer disfiguring burns and is out of the hospital and at a bar a couple days later.

The performances were top notch, and there was some pretty sharp, witty dialogue. But I didn't care for the story.
I liked the wit, especially Woody Harrelson's character.

Spoiler

So I was disappointed that the character was "offed" with much of the movie left....also found it odd that the African American replacement sheriff witnessed the police brutality but didn't lock up Rockwell immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies