Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2018, 05:24 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
What is the "Archie Bunker paradox"?
It's also called the "Satire Paradox," and rather similar to Poe's Law on the Internet.

It's when a character type is satirized and the people who are like that character don't recognize the satire--rather, they embrace it as "our views finally being aired."

The same thing happened with Stephen Cobert's "Cobert Report"--the more conservative a person was, the less likely he was to recognize that it satirized conservatism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 06:14 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,795,253 times
I think that this video does a great job of explaining the impact of this movie and why representation matters. It is a series of interviews with Koreans about their thoughts about the movie, what their perceptions were of blacks were before and how it has changed since seeing the movie.

One of the most interesting series of comments come when asked their thoughts about the scenes filmed in Korea. As an American, I never gave any thought about the Korean gatekeeper, but hearing what the reaction was among native speakers made me realize that something that was meaningless to me was really important for another group. There isn't much that I think that Coogler got wrong with this movie but I now realize that he missed an opportunity with that role.

What Koreans Think Of Black Panther

Old 03-08-2018, 07:23 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I think that this video does a great job of explaining the impact of this movie and why representation matters. It is a series of interviews with Koreans about their thoughts about the movie, what their perceptions were of blacks were before and how it has changed since seeing the movie.

One of the most interesting series of comments come when asked their thoughts about the scenes filmed in Korea. As an American, I never gave any thought about the Korean gatekeeper, but hearing what the reaction was among native speakers made me realize that something that was meaningless to me was really important for another group. There isn't much that I think that Coogler got wrong with this movie but I now realize that he missed an opportunity with that role.

What Koreans Think Of Black Panther
I was mildly surprised, but I guess it's the result of the passing generation. I'd have expected Korean audiences to sympathize with the anti-colonialism sentiment of the movie, but this is a younger generation.

That's also reflected in the expressed opinions that only with this movie are some of them seeing American blacks as "hip and cool," which is paradoxical because South Koreans have always been excellent in duplicating American black music and dance.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:40 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
This^^

I'm thinking that even if BP makes less than just ONE MCU movie in China, but does significantly better than 75% of all the movies released there, it will still be labeled as a "flop" just in China....smh The world we live in is weird like that.
The counter is it is not so much China but Americans using their perception of the character of Chinese which would stop them from green lighting African or African American based content. That while someone might okay with a relatively small budget of a Straight Out Of Compton they would fear giving say Red Tails the budget that a combat film would demand given the audience special effects expectations for the genre.

Being the MCU movie chapter 18 does give some cover and Disney/Marvel was willing to take what was or perhaps still is seen as a gamble instead of a sure thing.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:37 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
I disagree. And like I said before, with the phenomenal success of Black Panther, I think that there's something else going on with this film other than people 'just liking it.' And it's probably something that a lot of people are overlooking:

‘Black Panther’ Is Way More Than A Movie For This Important Reason

Yea. It's a fun movie. People like fun. Therefore it is successful. It should be. History is full of simple movies that did quite well.

I think these deep analyses are a product of race fetish akin to NBC commentators salivating over black bobsled athletes. Our society is looking for anything regarding African-Americans to celebrate and so we go over the top.

I grew up in a majority African-American city. Black culture is neither unappealing nor exotic to me. It produces everything from the exceptional to the mundane to the bad.

I am glad you liked the movie. So did I. However, I am of the opinion that thinking too much about what it means is a pretentious exercise in faux-intellectualism.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
lol So you're comparing a comic book from the 1960s that sold only hundred of thousands of copies:

Comichron: Black Panther Vol. 2 Sales Figures

to a movie that cost $200 million dollars to produce and is part of $14 billion dollar entertainment juggernaut which dominants the motion picture industry at this time? Hmmm. Now where have I heard that form of dismissal before?(The other thread.) But I guess some people have their heads stuck in the past.
No...

I am comparing a comic book of the 1960s to its movie rendition of 2018.

They are the same character.

Or did you think this movie was just conjured up yesterday?

Old 03-08-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Sure there's a connection between Roots and Black Panther, and I'm not the only one who has made that observation
There is absolutely NO connection whatsoever.

Roots was a historical account of a black family in America.

Black Panther is a comic book adapted to the screen.

One is historical truth while the other is fantasy.

They both deal with black people but you could said that about thousands of disparate things.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:31 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Funny, until I came here and saw this discussion, I did not see the movie as a Black culture thing. I just thought it was a reasonably good Marvel comic book movie where the majority of the characters happened to be black. I did not think anything of it form a cultural perspective. In fact, if someone asked me to describe the movie, I doubt I ever would have gotten around to mentioning that the actors are mostly Black. It just did not seem relevant to me when I watched it. Now I can see why some people see it that way, but I prefer to just look at it as a comic book movie that wa pretty good.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Funny, until I came here and saw this discussion, I did not see the movie as a Black culture thing. I just thought it was a reasonably good Marvel comic book movie where the majority of the characters happened to be black. I did not think anything of it form a cultural perspective. In fact, if someone asked me to describe the movie, I doubt I ever would have gotten around to mentioning that the actors are mostly Black. It just did not seem relevant to me when I watched it. Now I can see why some people see it that way, but I prefer to just look at it as a comic book movie that wa pretty good.

Yes, black people are normal. Who woulda thunk it?

Old 03-08-2018, 01:53 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I know but, some like to step on their own toes and create a problem where there shouldn't be one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

Yes, black people are normal. Who woulda thunk it?
Yep, what a thought, this whole matter is what will turn some off from a movie that is just enjoyable fun; a movie which hasn't any reason to not have wide appeal except for those with a complex on either side of the equation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies