Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 12:10 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
That was originally how Justice League Part 1 + 2 were supposed to go: Steppenwolf was to mop the floor with a Superman-less League in Part 1, which would end on a cliffhanger. Superman wouldn't fully rejoin the League until Part 2, the movie that introduced Darkseid as the real threat.

But WB got the jitters and thought a "fun, balanced" Avenger-ly movie was the way to go. "More jokes!"

I'm curious to see how hard the Avengers get their a$$es kicked in Infinity War.
It can't be called "good guys don't win" if they do win in the sequel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 12:31 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,623,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It can't be called "good guys don't win" if they do win in the sequel.
They don't in one movie, they do in the next, hence the cliffhanger. Don't be surprised if that's what Avengers: IW and Avengers 4 do.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:02 PM

22,923 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Quote:
I can't, off hand, think of any major movies that have made a profit with "good guys don't win."
THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
DEATHWISH
TAXI DRIVER
ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
THE USUAL SUSPECTS
CHINATOWN
BASIC INSTINCT
THE WICKER MAN
ROSEMARY'S BABY
THE OMEN
SEVEN
BLADE RUNNER
PLANET OF THE APES
EX MACHINA
THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT
SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
PRIMAL FEAR
PRESUMED INNOCENT
...AND JUSTICE FOR ALL

Not saying those were all great movies. But they were all either hits or very influential or both.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
DEATHWISH
TAXI DRIVER
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
THE USUAL SUSPECTS
CHINATOWN
BASIC INSTINCT
THE WICKER MAN
ROSEMARY'S BABY
THE OMEN
SEVEN
BLADE RUNNER
PLANET OF THE APES
EX MACHINA
THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT
SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
PRIMAL FEAR
PRESUMED INNOCENT
...AND JUSTICE FOR ALL

Not saying those were all great movies. But they were all either hits or very influential or both.
The good guy does win in Taxi Driver.

At the end of Death Wish, Paul (Bronson) gets away with his vigilante kills.

The best examples of the lot are Rosemary's Baby, POTA, The Wicker Man (savage), and No Country For Old Men.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:25 PM

1,300 posts, read 961,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
they can't do that, "bad" guys can't win in movies at the end... the good guys always complete the mission, and not fail at it

The exceptions are horror and mobster movies.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
They don't in one movie, they do in the next, hence the cliffhanger. Don't be surprised if that's what Avengers: IW and Avengers 4 do.
Second act cliffhangers happen all the time. I don't think that's what rstevens62 meant when he said,"...the 'good guys' do not always come out on top at the end."

Old 03-06-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Second act cliffhangers happen all the time. I don't think that's what rstevens62 meant when he said,"...the 'good guys' do not always come out on top at the end."
The second act to which you refer most often happens within the context of one film. I mentioned a multi-parter (that didn't happen) that was plotted as a very dark sequence and then diluted multiple times, like more and more water being sprayed over an existing watercolor.

rstevens62 still referred to good guys coming out on top — barely. Like a pyrrhic victory.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
DEATHWISH
TAXI DRIVER
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
THE USUAL SUSPECTS
CHINATOWN
BASIC INSTINCT
THE WICKER MAN
ROSEMARY'S BABY
THE OMEN
SEVEN
BLADE RUNNER
PLANET OF THE APES
EX MACHINA
THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT
SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
PRIMAL FEAR
PRESUMED INNOCENT
...AND JUSTICE FOR ALL

Well, thanks, Mark.

Yes, horror movies and dystopias are two major exceptions to my point. Yeah, I'd banished "John Carpenter's 'The Thing'" from my mind. Now it's back.

I'd argue that movies like Chinatown, No Country for Old men, and Chinatown are really dystopias.

I'd argue that Blade Runner is not an exception. Either Deckard is the hero and wins or Baty is an example of my "Bad guy turns good and dies."

There might be some debate in a similar regard about Ex Machina, too. Several of those fall into my catergory of "good guy who was not really so good loses"--which is the classical tragedy plot of the flawed protagonist who ultimately fails to overcome his flaw (a la MacBeth).

Old 03-06-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
The good guy does win in Taxi Driver.
Travis is not a hero. I wouldn't go so far as to call him a villain, but he sure isn't a good guy. The real villain of that movie is probably society, and it definitely wins in the end.

Quote:
At the end of Death Wish, Paul (Bronson) gets away with his vigilante kills.
Ditto previous answer. Granted, this morality is much clearer in the book than in the movie.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I'd argue that movies like Chinatown, No Country for Old men, and Chinatown are really dystopias.
I would not disagree with that argument.

Quote:
I'd argue that Blade Runner is not an exception. Either Deckard is the hero and wins or Baty is an example of my "Bad guy turns good and dies."
Deckard is not a good guy. Deckard is the villain. It's just that he doesn't finally admit it and act upon it until the end. Roy Batty is the hero. And he loses in the end.

Quote:
There might be some debate in a similar regard about Ex Machina, too. Several of those fall into my catergory of "good guy who was not really so good loses"--which is the classical tragedy plot of the flawed protagonist who ultimately fails to overcome his flaw (a la MacBeth).
I've only seen it once. I need another viewing before I argue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies