Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2018, 12:36 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,160,683 times

Advertisements

Leave No Trace (2018), Debra Granik (Winter's Bone (2010)), IMDB U.S. limited release June 29, 2018

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 08:32 AM

The Old Man & the Gun (2018), David Lowery - IMDB: 5 Oct 2018 U.S. release

Always liked Robert Redford and Sissy Spacek. Also stars Elisabeth Moss (can't get enough of her films either), Casey Affleck, Keith Carradine, Tom Waits (lots of Jim Jarmusch films, now I am going to see this!). Trailer also seems to show that gas station guy in No Country for Old Men - the guy with the quarter. Based on a true story or whathaveyou. < didn't read that linked indiewire story as it's probably laden with SPOILERS. But, one man's SPOILER is anothers convince me to see it background - so...

Old 06-06-2018, 02:53 PM

Nancy (2018), Christina Choe - her feature film directorial debut I believe

Always liked Andrea Riseborough (Happy-Go-Lucky, Never Let Me Go, Brighton Rock, Oblivion, Birdman, Nocturnal Animals, The Death of Stalin)

Old 06-07-2018, 02:44 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,595,678 times
Dp2

Old 06-07-2018, 03:54 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,328,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Won't You Be My Neighbor? (2018), IMDB: 8 June 2018 (USA)

I'd like to see that one. It's in limited release???

Old 06-07-2018, 06:44 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,714,341 times
Jurassic Fallen Kingdom, must see for me though it's been getting some bad reviews.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:11 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,328,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Jurassic Fallen Kingdom, must see for me though it's been getting some bad reviews.
Yeah, but I'm still stoked!

Old 06-07-2018, 08:43 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,714,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Yeah, but I'm still stoked!
Me too, absolutely loved the first one.

I really have to like a movie to actually go and see it in person. Still haven't seen the Avengers movie yet.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I'd like to see that one. It's in limited release???
Usually IMDB will say limited release, and it doesn't on this one. It may depend on your area - somethings I think that distributors (the people who decide what movies your local theaters get?) decide which movies are limited. It's a guessing game for me - I don't know how the system works, and I can't get answers from anyone (theater managers, Regal or Century corporate, etc.).

Isn't there a member who was in the movie business? Maybe he can chime in?

Old 06-08-2018, 04:10 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,943,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Usually IMDB will say limited release, and it doesn't on this one. It may depend on your area - somethings I think that distributors (the people who decide what movies your local theaters get?) decide which movies are limited. It's a guessing game for me - I don't know how the system works, and I can't get answers from anyone (theater managers, Regal or Century corporate, etc.).

Isn't there a member who was in the movie business? Maybe he can chime in?
Most movie goers might already know this but--

Not in movie business but "limited release" can cover a variety of release styles
Some movies are in limited release because they have a very limited appeal but perhaps the director or production company has a deal with certain studio and the studio will actually pay to have movie shown in limited release to satisfy a contract

Many movies are considered not profitable in certain areas because the subject matter just doesn't fit the local demographics...movies made by/with/about ethnic topics usually fit that bill--one theater in my area of DFW TX shows a consistent run of Bollywood/Asian films because there is an ethnic community near enough to make them profitable...

"Leisure Seeker" was a movie like this I think--thought to appeal to only a senior age level
Known stars that have box office draw but the topic and the quality of the movie didn't seem that "sellable" and it found its way into limited release--meaning only a few theaters in any area vs wide release--multiple screens in every movie house within a zip code...

The new "Solo" is certainly in wide release but likely that was part of its doom since word spread quickly...

Sometimes movies will start in limited release--on a few screens in a given area--and word of mouth is so good that customers create a drive for wider release/more theaters...
The first "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" was such a success...
Being from an unknown star/writer (a woman no less) and Tom Hank's wife was producer which didn't mean much initially....
yet it was a huge financial success and nominated for Academy I believe...

Foreign movies often find themselves in very limited release any place but the major cities on W/E coast or maybe certain art houses...
Here in Sarasota, the Sarasota Film Guild owns two theaters--one an historical bldg in downtown Sarasota which plays many independent films balanced with a few more mainstream...it is showing "RBG"--(also playing 1 time a day at my closer AMC 10 screen), "The Rider" and "First Reformed"--neither of which are playing anywhere else...

the second house it owns is newer in a mixed use development and shows an art film Sat/Sun at 11AM that it might not show at the historical site...those can often (because the screening holds maybe 50-70 people) sell out...

Last edited by loves2read; 06-08-2018 at 04:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies