Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 06:56 PM

51 posts, read 16,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78
I won't call it lame, but the fact is, I have tried multiple times to get into this movie, and I just can't.
I can get into it and understand it BARELY!! - It goes over my head but I know what they are driving at and I think they hit it right on the head!! (I have only seen the first one)

It would be nice talking to them in person!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 08:40 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,825,571 times
No.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:46 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,889,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Same here. I liked the concept in the first movie, but they seemed to get bogged down in the next two.
My thoughts exactly. I loved the first one. I still watch it occasionally. I was super disappointed in the other 2. I tried watching the sequels a couple times, and they are still horrible. But I still love the original Matrix.

Old 09-30-2020, 04:43 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,272,295 times
Matrix - saw in the theater and will rewatch occasionally

Matrix 2 - saw in the theater and love the highway chase scene, rest is just ok

Matrix 3 - saw in the theater and meh

Matrix 4 - no rush and won’t see in the theater.

Old 09-30-2020, 07:21 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,134,657 times
Never cared for the movie. Struggled to watch it but other people wanted me to see it so, it took 3 shots to actually get thru the movie.

Old 10-01-2020, 03:59 PM

434 posts, read 1,042,076 times
I always felt it is slightly overrated, I remember being a kid in middle school(sometime in 2000) talking about the best movie, the guys I was talking to said The Matrix. I said Terminator 2 was way better but no one else agreed. Just because the slow mo action scenes you guys like the Matrix so much, T1000 liquid metal terminator visual effects in T2 was better than that I told them. They said it was more than that and explained how it was so much better. I actually grown to appreciate the Matrix more as an adult and I would say its right behind The Terminator(1984) in terms of best sci fi action movies, with Terminator 2 of course being the best sci fi action movie.

The Matrix is not incredibly lame. The movie is a sci fi action classic that holds up very well today. The movie can be a bit slow(dry perhaps as well), but if you stay tuned in you are rewarded with some of the best action movie sequences ever! And a very well made, original, A+ sci fi action movie.

Old 10-01-2020, 04:12 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,589,360 times
It became mostly an action sci-fi series which is tiresome. The original movie created a lot of promise on which they never delivered. They introduced social and political commentary that they didn't expound on with subplots, They never developed the Matrix world to any real depth. Neo never really went beyond the Oracle's place in the Matrix. Everything else in the Matrix was an urban prop for fight and chase scenes.

Old 10-02-2020, 10:16 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,001,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
When the matrix came out I was 20 something and I thought it was amazing, now I rewatched it and thought it was so stupid and lame. The latex outfits, the sunglasses, and fights with swords where no one actually gets stabbed and just knocked in the face.
I was a big fan of the original. I also enjoyed the sequels, although the original was the clearly the best. I really enjoyed (in Matrix 3) the war with the machines as they tried to break into Zion. I thought the scene where the giant drills were boring into Zion was fantastic.

I did think the whole latex/sunglasses/long leather coat shtick was kind of pretentious--but hey, no movie is perfect. As to the story "inconsistencies"--I give that a pass. The Matrix is a SciFi movie. You have to suspend disbelief, to some extent, with SciFi. You have no problem with Superman being able to fly because he comes from a planet that has heavier gravity? And X-ray vision? You get my point.

Would cows make better batteries for the machines? Maybe, Maybe not. Maybe something about human consciousness makes humans perfect batteries for the machines. Who knows. It's SciFi, folks. You have to suspend disbelief.

As far as the movies aging well--don't know. I haven't seen them in a while. When I do, I'll let you know.

--

Old 10-03-2020, 04:00 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,647,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
When the matrix came out I was 20 something and I thought it was amazing, now I rewatched it and thought it was so stupid and lame. The latex outfits, the sunglasses, and fights with swords where no one actually gets stabbed and just knocked in the face.
Back in the 90s, that movie was wildly popular around early 1999. But that shootout scene (albeit fictional and totally unrelated to Columbine HS), reminded a lot of people too much of Columbine. So, it went from being the talk of the cinematic focus to an avoidance within a few months. The eery resemblance was just too overwhelming. I was working in Colorado that spring of 1999 and then Columbine HS had that massacre in April. It was in Denver.

Old 10-04-2020, 08:33 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
OP, you seem to have missed the symbolism and message of the movie. The special effects don't matter.
Yeah that is why the later Matrix movies failed. More elaborate fights than the substance and novel effects. The beauty in the original Matrix was all the commentary about plotting around through life until someone tells you the dirty secret. It is no wonder conservatives use the "red pill" analogy for people that suddenly become conservatives.

Bullet-time really only was effective in the scene of The Matrix. Other movies including the sequels tried it and honestly, it never worked as good or genuine. There is a reason it hasn't been used since even if it would work in some superhero movies like Justice League with The Flash or Spider-Man movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies