Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2017, 12:20 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
I have very rarely found either of them funny much less liked their movies, but apparently they have a big following.

They have big following because tasteless vulgar crowd of watchers is predominant. If they try to be real actors and make a decent movie, even with their mediocre talents, they immediately loose ratings and, for those types, it's all about ratings. So whatever it takes. Another example was Christina Aguillera. Blond sex symbol for pimpled crowd. She tried to go brunett once - it failed miserably, so viola - back to blond.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 07:43 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
https://www.avclub.com/its-time-to-a...tor-1819270579

It’s time to admit that Adam Sandler is a good actor

Old 10-10-2017, 09:16 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Yeah. I generally know if I see either of them the movie isn't going to be good. Might be good for slapstick comedy when you want to watch trash but you're pretty much safe to skip anything either are in and you won't be missing anything.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:33 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,896,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

I watched that last night and came on here to say, it's a really good movie. I think it may be Sandlers best film. Netlix needs to advertise it more, I just happened to find it while searching comedies last night. That said, it's technically a comedy, but I'd say it's as much a drama as a comedy. The movie is excellent quality and Sandlers acting is really great.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:06 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,605,519 times
There is absolutely nothing funny or appealing to me about any role, movie or routine Adam Sandler has ever done with the sole exception of some promise in Punch Drunk Love. To me he is stupidity in pants & must appeal to folks who are, uh... undemanding in their entertainment wants. So it is with great surprise that I thought he did pretty, pretty, pretty good in The Meyorwitz Stories, he wasn't great but the bar is so low for him compared to the rest of the cast that pretty good is a revelation.

I hope he does more "serious" roles & can evolve beyond always playing his "dumb yet vulnerable guy" persona.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:46 AM

33,324 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Punch Drunk Love
50 First Dates
Spanglish
The Cobbler
The Wedding Singer
Happy Gilmore
Bedtime Stories

I enjoyed all of those movies, some are comedies and some are drama. Mr Deeds and Big Daddy have some funny moments and I'd say are decent. The rest of his movies I've seen are garbage.
With the well cast, enchanting, Paz Vega (who needs to grow her hair out again!)

Tea Leoni's character in that movie was quite irritating, but every second that Paz Vega is onscreen, the relationship between Sandler's character and his daughter with braces, and the lines given to the character Cloris Leachman plays with hilarity, make it worth watching anytime that it happens to come on.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:48 AM

671 posts, read 445,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
I have very rarely found either of them funny much less liked their movies, but apparently they have a big following.
No and Hayell No. Add Will Ferrell into that mix and its a winner for unfunny overpaid people.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:16 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,213,159 times
I like them both in small to medium doses. Sandler is a good actor but seems to prefer doing his comedy schtick which I enjoy from time to time but I think hardly stretches his capability or creativity. I like the movie at the lake house.
With a fair amount of actors I tend to get tired of the NYC/jewish thing if I see too much of it for long periods of time.
I had totally forgotten about Schneider, don't know where he has been but then I recently saw him on a talk show
hawking his new netflix show. I watched a couple of episodes and will probably watch a few more.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:58 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

Sandier can be a very good actor but he can be awful when he has too much control--
Just saw new movie (actually my husband was watching and I was sitting nearby reading) he made with Ben Stiller, Emma Thompson and Dustin Hoffman

But Rob Schneider---he isn't ever funny

Old 10-20-2017, 09:11 PM

10,441 posts, read 4,032,699 times
I can tolerate Schneider when he's just a comedy side kick in a Sylvester Stallone movie, but when he's starring in his own stuff, I never find the interest to watch it. Adam Sandler, I never did really care for, so never seen any of his movies, and I was never a fan of SNL (liked the early years, and when Chris Farley was on there) but yeah, really can't stand Sandler. I cringed whenever he won the awards on the MTV movie awards years ago, he was just that annoying to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies