Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2021, 09:42 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,638,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Didn’t he teach Hulk Kung-Fu?
That, I do not remember. I stopped reading Marvel when X-overkill ruined everything. And the art got really bad across the board.

Old 04-22-2021, 02:17 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,579,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
That, I do not remember. I stopped reading Marvel when X-overkill ruined everything. And the art got really bad across the board.
I seem to remember “ and I had the wrong person“ but it was Iron Fist.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:04 PM

507 posts, read 278,825 times
Shangchi toys already arrive in stores and Liu's character has been out of stock in my local target. Seems like a new Marvel Asian superhero storm is being generated.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:33 PM

512 posts, read 323,170 times
Marvel keeps winning! That Shang-Chi trailer looks awesome, and I predict that this will be a phenomenon akin to Black Panther: another critically acclaimed film from Marvel Studios that not only taps into an underserved large audience that is hungry for big, splashy Hollywood blockbusters in which they see themselves as powerful heroes, but also attracts the already gigantic MCU audience.

Even as a comic book fan who has always preferred the DC Comics superheroes, the MCU is unstoppable in their astonishingly well crafted cinematic universe that adapts and tweaks the Marvel superheroes but retains the essence of their heroism. None of that "let's make our heroes as amoral and bloodthirsty as the villains to *humanize* them" BS that other cinematic universes [Cough *DCEU* cough!] have done with spectacularly unsuccessful results.

Recently, Marvel Studios released the official first footage from Oscar-winning director Chloe Zhao's Eternals in a announcement-slash-clip reel that also informed us how the sequels for Black Panther and Captain Marvel will be titled: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever and The Marvels. We also get the official release date for Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 !! The video is narrated by Stan Lee and gives us a heartwarming, hopeful look at why superheroes (emphasis on HEROES) have endured for so long: their ability to inspire us and make us want to be better!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdpxoFcdORI

What an amazing time to be a superhero fan!!!
I know that now that Snyder is finally out of the DCEU and out of WB, DC fans will also have many reasons to celebrate the future of superhero movies that truly bring the DC icons to wonderful, awe-inspiring, superheroic live-action splendor!!!

Old 05-04-2021, 01:45 PM

22,953 posts, read 28,358,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
Marvel keeps winning!
I don't know. Maybe I'm just getting too old, but none of the recent trailers have wowed me. None of the movie announcements have excited me.

But I was pleasantly surprised by the recent TV shows. WandaVision was great, and Falcon & the Winter Soldier was good. I am genuinely looking forward to the Loki TV show, which surprises me, since I never liked that branch of the Marvel universe in comics.

Old 05-04-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I don't know. Maybe I'm just getting too old, but none of the recent trailers have wowed me. None of the movie announcements have excited me.

But I was pleasantly surprised by the recent TV shows. WandaVision was great, and Falcon & the Winter Soldier was good. I am genuinely looking forward to the Loki TV show, which surprises me, since I never liked that branch of the Marvel universe in comics.
I think there will always be people who are not wowed by the MCU, and that's fine. However, that video being the # current 1 trend on Twitter and Youtube, and the gigantic buzz, views/streams, and anticipation generated by both Wandavision (which I also loved, by the way), and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (which I liked but did not enthrall me like WV did) and their latest announcements is an indicator that Marvel Studios still has the magic touch.
As for me, I was never a fan of their Avengers movies, but I enjoyed Dr. Strange and Wandavision (magic and sorcery is my favorite corner of the Marvel Universe), and the two Ant-Mans, as well as Black Panther. However I am anticipating this upcoming Phase of the MCU for several reasons:

A-it will not be Iron-Man-centric (I intensely dislike the character as portrayed by RDJ)
B-It will feature more women and people of color in substantial roles (including my all -time favorite Marvel character, Monica Rambeau).
C-it seems to be leading to adaptations of Marvel storylines that I liked way way more than the Infinity Gauntlet thing (Secret Invasion, Dark Avengers, Young Avengers, Thunderbolts)
D-It will feature the long-awaited (by me )live action debut of She-Hulk

Old 05-05-2021, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
I think there will always be people who are not wowed by the MCU, and that's fine.
I have enjoyed the MCU as far as it goes. Certainly more than the DC-based movies. But most movies these days --- not just super hero flicks --- seem to have forsaken creative plots and deep characters for sheer spectacle. In the past three years, I can think of two movies that I genuinely loved --- KNIVES OUT and Gerwig's LITTLE WOMEN. Everything else was okay at best.

Movies still have the big budgets. But all the good writing and all the heart is on television now. The movies seem hollow by comparison.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I have enjoyed the MCU as far as it goes. Certainly more than the DC-based movies. But most movies these days --- not just super hero flicks --- seem to have forsaken creative plots and deep characters for sheer spectacle. In the past three years, I can think of two movies that I genuinely loved --- KNIVES OUT and Gerwig's LITTLE WOMEN. Everything else was okay at best.

Movies still have the big budgets. But all the good writing and all the heart is on television now. The movies seem hollow by comparison.
There are some decent films out there; have you watched Minari? Promising Young Woman? One Night in Miami? Hope? They are four completely different films that are, in my opinion, incredibly well made, and powerfully written. All four are excellent throwbacks to the kind of movies that nowadays are lost in the shuffle of the big spectacles that have completely eclipsed the public discourse.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:22 AM

https://deadline.com/2021/05/batman-...rk-1234759890/

‘Batman: Caped Crusader’: Animated Series From Bruce Timm, J.J. Abrams, Matt Reeves Greenlit At HBO Max & Cartoon Network

Quote:
By Alexandra Del Rosario
May 19, 2021 6:45am

Batman: Caped Crusader, an animated series from executive producers Bruce Timm, J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves, received a straight to series order from HBO Max and Cartoon Network.

The reimagining of the Batman mythology is produced by Warner Bros. Animation, Bad Robot Productions and 6th & Idaho and marks Batman: The Animated series producer Timm’s return to Batman in animated episodic series. The Animated SEries. Tom Ascheim, President, Warner Bros. Global Kids, Young Adults and Classics (GKYAC) and Sam Register, President, Warner Bros. Animation (WBA) and Cartoon Network Studios (CNS), unveiled the series on Wednesday.

“It is always fun to feed the insatiable appetite fans have for all things Batman. Batman: Caped Crusader will entertain first time and die-hard fans alike and, with such an impressive creative team in place, we know we have another future Batman classic in the making,” Ascheim said.

Register added: “Batman: The Animated Series was a masterpiece that shaped the perception of the character for an entire generation of fans. It is in that spirit that we are bringing together three master storytellers in J.J., Matt and Bruce – each with their own intuitive understanding and affection for the character – to create a new series that will continue in the same groundbreaking legacy.”

Executive Producers Bruce Timm, J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves said: “We are beyond excited to be working together to bring this character back, to tell engrossing new stories in Gotham City. The series will be thrilling, cinematic and evocative of Batman’s noir roots, while diving deeper into the psychology of these iconic characters. We cannot wait to share this new world.”

Old 05-20-2021, 03:52 AM

507 posts, read 278,825 times
I am glad Chole Zhao directed Eternals, which will be released in the fall. It’s like Marvel’s X-Men. She’s the first Chinese who won Oscar and Golden Globe. She works for us now.

Last edited by shoot001; 05-20-2021 at 04:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies