Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2020, 01:35 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,627,286 times

Advertisements

He does look like an overgrown infant.

Old 01-06-2020, 02:19 PM

22,931 posts, read 28,306,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
He does look like an overgrown infant.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:37 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,554,472 times
Quote:
That's exactly what is wrong with Endgame. Hear me now and believe me later, that was not a plus.
I’ve been in some pretty hairy situations myself and have found myself cracking some bad jokes as well. I personally enjoy the puns if they are not over the top.

Old 01-09-2020, 03:08 AM

512 posts, read 322,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I found them more fundamental than that. Patty Jenkins seem to understand what makes a hero(ine). If you're going to make a super hero movie, you need to make a hero.

Zack Snyder did not seem to comprehend this.
I will never understand why anyone could be so off the mark with a character as simple and cristal clear as Superman. He is the ultimate hero. Selfless, kind-hearted, compassionate.
Patty Jenkins gets it.
I love that she loves sincerity in her heroes.
To her, being sincere is not a bad word.
That is why Wonder Woman connected with audiences: here we had a superhero that *gasp* was actually heroic!! And kind! And selfless! You know...all the qualities associeted with the word "hero."
What a radical concept in a universe of 'cool,' dark, tormented, navel gazing superidiots.
To Snyder, superheroes need to be cool above anything else, even at the expense of being true to the character.

Old 01-09-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
To Snyder, superheroes need to be cool above anything else, even at the expense of being true to the character.
You're not wrong, but I don't think "cool" has anything to do with it. From what I can gather in the few interviews I have watched and read with Snyder, I really do think he has bought into the whole Ayn Rand Objectivist BS. It is a philosophy of so-called "enlightened selfishness." Or as one Objectivist put it: "the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute."

In other words: "It's all about me! me! glorious ME! But by indulging my ultimate me-ness, I'll be so gosh-darn great that the crumbs shall fall from my table to benefit society, because I'm just so awesome!"

And that explains Superman's largely a-holish behavior in MAN OF STEEL and BATMAN VS SUPERMAN. It explains why Ma Kent told him something Ma Kent would have never told him in the comics, "You don't owe these people anything!" That's Ayn Rand, man, not Martha Kent.

Old 01-09-2020, 06:52 AM

You know who SHOULD be put in charge of Superman? Brad Bird. The trouble is: He kinda/sorta already made the perfect Superman movie. See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bWbnbaBLMs

Old 01-09-2020, 09:54 AM

Quick question for you guys:

If you prefer the no-nonsense Silver Age Superman, why didn't you go see Superman Returns eight times? Or even once? That movie didn't perform well.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
If you prefer the no-nonsense Silver Age Superman
You have the greatest talent of throwing the baby out with the bathwater that I have ever seen. Superman must either be an unlikeable selfish a-hole or a square-jawed Boy Scout. Batman can only be Adam West or a psychotic murderer. There could not possibly be anything in between. True heroes are all Mary Sues.

Quote:
... why didn't you go see Superman Returns eight times? Or even once? That movie didn't perform well.
I watched 10 minutes of it on TV one day. It was about 9 minutes too many.

The problem with that movie was NOT that Superman wasn't a selfish Me First character. The problem was the movie was boring.

You can still make Superman a true hero who stays true to the character and make him interesting and even vulnerable. Bruce Timm and Paul Dini proved it time and again.

Old 01-09-2020, 11:19 AM

Again, without replying to individual lines and minutiae, it appears everyone wants Donner Superman back. It echoes all over the InterWebs.

Superman Returns already attempted it. The problem wasn't necessarily that it's a boring movie. If you saw only ten minutes of it, you don't know. Maybe you will end up liking it.

The chief problem with Returns is that another actor was hired to pretend he's Christopher Reeve. First big fail. He couldn't do it. He should have been himself.

The second major problem is that the lead was upstaged by a supporting actor (Marsden). Everyone more or less agrees. That shouldn't happen.

The third major problem was that it rehashed a number of events from the first two films, primarily Luther's real estate disaster scheme (Spacey acted like Hackman after an Ambien) and Luther's return to the Fortress of Solitude.

Fourth, in lieu of a state of the art FX-fueled battle between Superman and an exciting new danger, something that could up the ante in superhero cinema, the big climax involves Superman regaining his Kryptonian mojo via the sun and lifting a gargantuan crystal green mountain (how he can after he nearly died from a kryptonite shank is beyond me) into outer space. They put a lot of money into that sequence, and the place rescue (which actually looks really good).

And don't me started on the "Superkid" nonsense. That's just bad writing.

So there you have it. David Goyer, during a break in writing The Dark Knight Rises, pitched a new take on Superman for a film called Man of Steel. Christopher Nolan picked Zack to direct after another director turned it down. I repeat: Zack Snyder DID NOT WRITE Man of Steel. Yes, he wanted Superman to kill Zod. But Nolan approved it, too.

Hate the movie all you want. It's far and away a better film than a silly retread like Superman Returns. Michael Shannon's casting as Zod is the best element of the film. He makes Zod a three-dimensional menace, not a campy moustache-twirler like Stamp's. It's not 1980 anymore.

Can you guys just stop urinating all over Zack all the time? It's a gross, and disturbing, hobby.

Old 01-09-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Michael Shannon's casting as Zod is the best element of the film.
True.

In other news, wow. Did Schumacher ghost direct this? This looks like a combination of A CLOCKWORK ORANGE and SPICE WORLD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies