Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like SHAKY CAM?
Yes 11 39.29%
No 15 53.57%
Not Sure 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 10:09 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,632,717 times

Advertisements

Depends on how it's used.

The Shield used it to great effect.

The Bourne movies did not.

Spielberg used shaky cam for key moments in Saving Private Ryan. Worked beautifully.

Star Trek (2009) looked good to me.

It's like reverb and chorus (effects used on too many songs in the latter half of the 1980s). Liberal use of either can be bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There are a couple of different effects that might be called "shaky cam."

One effect--the one used in the first minutes of "Saving Private Ryan" is using a very high camera shutter speed that is then replayed at a normal frame per second rate. The camera itself is actually steady, but there are bit gaps chopped out of fluid motion that our brains just barely detect.
The effect people mostly complain about is the tracking of the camera eye, which follows an erratic path all around the line of sight. When it's overdone, it's harder to focus on certain elements. A high shutter speed doesn't disallow for that as much. It just gives the picture a "flickery" lick.

There's a lot of footage in Saving Private Ryan (which has since been used quite a bit) that makes motion seem faster by removing frames, particularly when they take the hill (where Giovanni Ribisi's character gets killed) and in the finale. I think it worked very well.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:00 AM

23,615 posts, read 70,530,525 times
I tend to avoid movies that use shaky-cam. Blair Witch is an abomination that made money. If I ever did want to watch it, I'd run it through virtualdub with the appropriate filters. Even Google allows people to image stabilize.

The "put the camera on a circular track" way of filming a conversation is vomit-cam. The only way I can watch those scenes is to cover one eye. Otherwise my years of working with 3-D imagery will make me ill.

I suspect the people who promote the use of such idiocy are the same ones who ride rollercoasters for multiple rides. Their vestibular systems are somehow attached to their d*cks.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:01 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,241,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
The effect people mostly complain about is the tracking of the camera eye, which follows an erratic path all around the line of sight.
BINGO!
. . .
Also, just about every fight / action sequence is now so jerky and chopped up, that it is unwatchable.
Pure garbage.

I recently tried to watch "Man of Steel" (2013) and gave up. It was ruined by gawful cinematography.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:03 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,293,486 times
I hate it. It is distracting, sometime dizzying, annoying and trying way too hard to be hip and edgy.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
I recently tried to watch "Man of Steel" (2013) and gave up. It was ruined by gawful cinematography.
Try watching the fights in Captain America: Civil War before they get to the airport centerpiece. You'll love Man of Steel after that.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I tend to avoid movies that use shaky-cam. Blair Witch is an abomination that made money. If I ever did want to watch it, I'd run it through virtualdub with the appropriate filters. Even Google allows people to image stabilize.

The "put the camera on a circular track" way of filming a conversation is vomit-cam. The only way I can watch those scenes is to cover one eye. Otherwise my years of working with 3-D imagery will make me ill.

I suspect the people who promote the use of such idiocy are the same ones who ride rollercoasters for multiple rides. Their vestibular systems are somehow attached to their d*cks.
You do realize the whole point of that (severely overrated) movie was that it was "found footage"?

Old 05-31-2017, 07:15 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,241,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Try watching...
When this audience unit sees ugly radio, it turns away, and if too much ugly radio, turns it off.
I have a nice 7' wide 1080p video projected image, with 5.1 audio, and a La-Z-Boy anti-gravity chair... I aim to be entertained, not annoyed.
. . .
And in response to the video bovine excrement on Network TV, I've pretty much ceased watching it - except for news casts.

Last edited by jetgraphics; 05-31-2017 at 07:28 PM..

Old 05-31-2017, 11:09 PM

2 posts, read 934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
STOP SHAKY CAM !
Get a tripod.
Yes most or many get sick..

Old 05-31-2017, 11:47 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,465,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

Yes - vomit-cam, or barf-cam, the spinning around and around is just the pits.

Another overdone effect on a series I've been watching on Netflix, Bloodline, really overdoes it with camera angles shot from a distance, where whatever is in the foreground creates out-of-focus blur while the people speaking are a distance away (in focus), so you have this nebulous dark fuzz around the shot. It would make sense if it were from the perspective of someone who is lurking surreptitiously, but the effect is just for 'art' and if I'm noticing it too often then it's being overused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies